Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk to the Team: Stuns

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Stuns

Trying to think of stun/mezz abilities that cause me grief: Chain Lightning is a killer! I think I read something, somewhere that it is to be changed so it doesn't indefinitely bounce between players, so assuming this applies to all mobs who have it, then that's a huge help. I believe that changing Paralyzing Gaze and Trepidation appropriately (ie. drastically reducing their timer, or substantially increasing their recycle, or simply making them single target) will go a long way to helping.

A short immunity following being mezzed/stunned/rooted would probably do more good than all other suggestions, simply because there are so many variables as to WHY a mob is to be stunned/mezzed/rooted. I think the WHY is the hidden issue. Some mobs stun us, so we like to make sure they can't, either by stunning/mezzing them, or by killing them very quickly. Some mobs do obscene amounts of damage, hence why they NEED to be stunned; think of it as damage mitigation, if we can longer stun them we need other ways to counteract this, either better heals, better armor, more evasion, or dropping their DPS.

In my experience, mezzes like Spellbind and its area counterpart are excellent for crowd control and break after being hit once. They are necessary since so many mobs are social. We NEED a way to hold back the swarms of enemies. Stuns are excellent for creating a short reprieve from being wailed on, giving precious moments to heal/rez/buff and use epic abilities/spells since they often take a long time to cast.

I think Spellbind/Area Spellbind should remain as they were, AND NO LINKED TIMER! Since Area Spellbind is not masterable, that only penalises Sorcerers. And it's not uncommon to miss with Area Spellbind, anyway. Adjust their timers/recycle if you must, but don't link them please.

In the end, the only major concern I personally have, is if Epic mobs cannot be stunned. Reklar is ridiculously hard as it is. Death points are virtually unavoidable. With Resurrection on a 1 miner timer now, I find myself more often in situations where group members have to twiddle their thumbs in wait... As you've pointed out Amon, it's no fun dieing due to perma-stun and it's no fun waiting to be rezzed either.

Please be very careful with what you change. Stuns/mezzes are part of our strategies, small changes can have very drastic impacts. As I've recently discovered SoG and Valkor each have Indomitable granting them obscene evasion (intended or otherwise?), resulting in the entire group missing while it is active. To top it off, Valkor seems buggy and has a few times now, had this ability active permanently. Please use the kid gloves with any changes :D

Happy hunting, see yas Istaria :)
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Just to add to monsters that stun too frequently: werewolves (using Ripclaw). I found that with just 2 werewolves attacking you (in my case both were Greater Werewolves on Balit's Island, too much to handle on my own), they can effectively prevent you from recalling or doing enough damage to kill either one before you die.

Thank you for the feedback so far on this. I think I've worked most of these as well as others for the next update.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I'm liking some of these changes:3

-Chainlightning, Paralyzing gaze, and trepidation (I reeeallly hate this one) are the ones I think that need the most tweaking. Trepidation especially... It always seemed to be cast far to often and all the ward combos I've tried never really prevented it.

On the Sorc Spellbind/Area Spellbind - I don't think linked timers are a bad thing at all. I would suggest making Area Spellbind more likely to hit as a result, Imo it should be the go to over spell bind anyway. I don't believe the stun should be less than the recycle for Spellbind simply because 1 hit automatically dispels it. It would also give more importance to Numbing Haze which is a universal spellbind on a 5 second timer. Absolutely wonderful spell that's useable by all classes, it may miss more but it is castable more often and more crown control is possible when used correctly.

Chainlighting and Trepidation- yes-I agree with Cooolios
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

When will the update be on blight for testing?

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    When will the update be on blight for testing?
    We're hoping to push it to Blight next week.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

so when will it go live and come to order and chaos ?

We just did Daknor
    nearly impossible for non vets with normal equippment.
    group of 7 ubers- most of the time 6 stunned (bloodcry& spellbind or both). Sorcerer was completely useless
    And about 80% of our attacs missed.
    jfyi

But you did finish him?

yes
    (Morkx, Vasilios, Lupussan- Flameus, feuerauge, Arlessha, Lunalove)

he was the main reason, clarity was introduced. he has a constant stun ability. not to mention his ability to dodge dang near every hit

yeah- and then I read patch notes about clartiy II
    it was only half a sentence- but a big step for Istaria^^
    - and I told you all to level Sorcerer..:-(

wasn't clarity II restored to its original status?
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Yeah Daknor's area mezz ability (forget the name) I don't think it can be dispelled. Its a definite pain. Only thing that breaks it is if he hits you. He's always been this way. His mezz ability could use a looking at.

I just kill him with 2 players, any more is pointless since they are mezzed the entire fight.

I just tried the Than'kuk warriors without Clarity II and with them being so social I was overcome by 4 and died within secs ( thunderblow , then 2 orges used ogre cry and after I got over stun they repeated again) . it did not help that the named ogre followed them and kept hitting for nearly 1000 hp each hit

Quote Originally Posted by terrox View Post
    I just tried the Than'kuk warriors without Clarity II and with them being so social I was overcome by 4 and died within secs ( thunderblow , then 2 orges used ogre cry and after I got over stun they repeated again) . it did not help that the named ogre followed them and kept hitting for nearly 1000 hp each hit
    A fix for this is currently in testing on Blight, both the Than'kuk Thunder ability and the general Ogre Cry.

thanks Amon for the reply . i thought fix was live already

A little off topic but is there any ETA on when this blight patch is going to live

Bit late here, but Bind weapons ability used by Bloodskulk Spearfishers was looked at?
    It acts like a stun if i recall correctly (by preventing the target to act in any way, except moving) and Spearfishers are very social. So it is not uncommon to be attacked by more than 4 of them which gives little to no chance to survive while binded. Dragons have the opportunity to fly out of the combat, but bipeds don't have this luxury
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Thread Information