Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: A Universal Carafting Tool?

  1. #1

    Default A Universal Carafting Tool?

    Can we bipeds get a universal crafting tool, that works for all craft schools? It's one reason the dragons characters are more appealing.

    Dragons do not have to swap crafting tools, which means they don't have to go thru the hassle of making new tools, swapping them out, and cluttering up their inventory and bank with multi-level crafting tools.

    We could still keep the current tools, so we can tech them out, but it would be nice not having to always upgrade my mining pick or hammer, so it is not limiting my crafting skill.

    Either that, or stop limiting my crafting skill. Dragons don't have to swap out their feet as their crafting skill progresses past Tier I, they just get the new updated skill to Dragon Mining II, automatically.

  2. #2

    Default Re: A Universal Carafting Tool?

    You do realize that once you have the appropriate skill to equip a tool, you do not need a lower version of it. Inevitably you will end up with all Mithril or Marble tools, even if you're level 1. The crystals would have to swap out, but socketed tools are generally reserved for existing 100's anyway.

    I think a special container, a toolbox of sorts, would work nicely in that you could store all of your crafting tools within this box at a fraction of the bulk and item count. It's somewhat diverse to have all of the different kind of tools for that job. Maybe an all-in-one convenient tool when you hit craft rating 234, aka GMC. Then it would be a unique reward of leveling them all to 100.
    rip

  3. #3

    Default Re: A Universal Carafting Tool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defilade View Post
    It's one reason the dragons characters are more appealing.
    What??????????????? Just about spewed the entire contents of my drink through my nose with that statement.

    Would SO much have a biped crafting any day of the 9 years I have played.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #4

    Default Re: A Universal Carafting Tool?

    Not even dragons work that way...
    They don't have to equip a tool indeed, but they do have to cast an ability to be able to craft. This might change in the near future since they already got skill limits on their "not needed to craft" tools. Think i should stop here.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

  5. #5

    Default Re: A Universal Carafting Tool?

    Can't say I agree with any part of this suggestion.

    Dragons have to switch abilites just like a biped switches tools.

    Dragons have "toolclaws" with tech slots and/or crystals equipped. Those have to be switched as well.

  6. #6

    Default Re: A Universal Carafting Tool?

    I think also the op is understating the rather interesting challenge that dragon crafting faces in concerns to plot/lair building. Yes a dragon can just 'cast' an ability on themselves to mine stone or get a resource, but if you've ever looked at laircrafting you'll find we need more than one resource to make our final products for that, and its alot more steps inbetween. So what looks nice and easy can be mind boggling complex in its own way.


    You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

    "Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"


  7. #7

    Default Re: A Universal Carafting Tool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoberton View Post
    What??????????????? Just about spewed the entire contents of my drink through my nose with that statement.

    Would SO much have a biped crafting any day of the 9 years I have played.
    I figured I would get some flak or ridicule for this thread, since it goes against something many long time players have excepted as the norm.

    Dragons are more appealing for a new player, because I do not have to bother making new tools, all the time, and not having to clutter up my vault, bags and inventory with multiple tools, weapons and suits of armor, because my armorer is a lower level then my spellcrafter, or fill-in-the-blank.

    As a dragon, all my craft skills level together, I don't need multiple sets of cargo gear, and i automatically get new tools, in the form of higher tier dragon craft abilities. An outfitter carries around eight tools, so every time i level up i need to buy eight new tool recipes, and then make them, or if I don't have a crafter who can make tools; search for and pay another player to make them for me, or buy them already made.

    It's a lot less hassles, a lot less crap to haul around, or even bother with. I can craft my own spells, claws, scales, etc... and never have to make new tools or swap out my crafting class.

  8. #8

    Default Re: A Universal Carafting Tool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arzel Rashemi View Post
    I think also the op is understating the rather interesting challenge that dragon crafting faces in concerns to plot/lair building. Yes a dragon can just 'cast' an ability on themselves to mine stone or get a resource, but if you've ever looked at laircrafting you'll find we need more than one resource to make our final products for that, and its alot more steps inbetween. So what looks nice and easy can be mind boggling complex in its own way.
    My dragon is level 16, so I'm ignorant of all of that lairshaping. From your description, is almost seems like they turned an easy crafting system into a mind boggling complexity. So I have that to look forward to.

  9. #9

    Default Re: A Universal Carafting Tool?

    there is no need to physically switch tools if you carry all in a pouch and when it says tool just hit the / and it will pull you saw or hammer or plane what ever you need only tool you have to pick up manually is your harvesting tool. Lillyjo, chaos server

  10. #10

    Default Re: A Universal Carafting Tool?

    I saw that "equip best tool," or something close to that, when I logged my biped on. That does help a bit.

    Well, how about this, a sort of Swiss Army knife tool that we carry around with us, while the actual tools sit our the vault. We could assign tools to this Swiss Army knife tool, sort of like the way we drag and drop items into a quickslot macro. The tools in the vault would need to be tagged some way, so we could not trade, sell or destroy them.

  11. #11

    Default Re: A Universal Carafting Tool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defilade View Post
    I saw that "equip best tool," or something close to that, when I logged my biped on. That does help a bit.

    Well, how about this, a sort of Swiss Army knife tool that we carry around with us, while the actual tools sit our the vault. We could assign tools to this Swiss Army knife tool, sort of like the way we drag and drop items into a quickslot macro. The tools in the vault would need to be tagged some way, so we could not trade, sell or destroy them.
    How many tools do you actually carry at once? It almost sounds like you're simply overwhelmed and unfamiliar with what you need for a specific task. If you're dealing with metal, you know to bring your pickaxe, tongs and hammer. You know if you're dealing with wood, you will need your axe, saw, and board plane.

    Any intense crafting involving multiple trades would most likely be done near a players plot, which would PROBABLY have shops and a vault. Later on in "life" you will typically streamline your process and production to more efficient means, which entails having only a single set of tools on you to minmax bulk, such as construction.
    rip

  12. #12

    Default Re: A Universal Carafting Tool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dracillion View Post
    How many tools do you actually carry at once? It almost sounds like you're simply overwhelmed and unfamiliar with what you need for a specific task. If you're dealing with metal, you know to bring your pickaxe, tongs and hammer. You know if you're dealing with wood, you will need your axe, saw, and board plane.

    Any intense crafting involving multiple trades would most likely be done near a players plot, which would PROBABLY have shops and a vault. Later on in "life" you will typically streamline your process and production to more efficient means, which entails having only a single set of tools on you to minmax bulk, such as construction.
    Ideally, I'd like to see one gathering tool, one resource creating tool, one crafting tool; sort of like the way armorer has the pick, tongs and hammer. The Swiss Army knife approach was just something to appease the "can't have too many tools" crowd.

    I just see it as lop-sided; a dragon carries no tools, or bags, they never have to worry about the expense and hassle of upgrading their tools and bags, because the game automatically upgrades their crafting ability and they have a small quest to increase their carrying capacity.

    I'll let it drop, because I've already been told how tough dragons have it, cuz they have to hit this key stroke and everything, which is exactly the same as a biped hitting the skill limit of his old tool, and needing to buy the new formula, gather the resources, then make the new tool, and carry or store the tool, and repeat this for every new tier.

  13. #13

    Default Re: A Universal Carafting Tool?

    It would be a cool quest item for higher-level folks to seek out multi-purpose tools like a combination harvest knife/tanning blade or combination smelting tongs/stone chisel. Some penalty might apply, though, like limiting the max skill by 50 for each additional tool type added on.

  14. #14

    Default Re: A Universal Carafting Tool?

    Exactly. Or if people think it's more realistic if the tool applied to one crafting school, instead of all of them, then sort of like a Master Armorer tool, that can perform all the tasks an armorer needs

  15. #15

    Default Re: A Universal Carafting Tool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defilade View Post
    Ideally, I'd like to see one gathering tool, one resource creating tool, one crafting tool; sort of like the way armorer has the pick, tongs and hammer. The Swiss Army knife approach was just something to appease the "can't have too many tools" crowd.

    I just see it as lop-sided; a dragon carries no tools, or bags, they never have to worry about the expense and hassle of upgrading their tools and bags, because the game automatically upgrades their crafting ability and they have a small quest to increase their carrying capacity.

    I'll let it drop, because I've already been told how tough dragons have it, cuz they have to hit this key stroke and everything, which is exactly the same as a biped hitting the skill limit of his old tool, and needing to buy the new formula, gather the resources, then make the new tool, and carry or store the tool, and repeat this for every new tier.
    You really have no idea how dragon crafting works do you? Dragons have scale packs they need to upgrade, in addition to cargo disks. Dragons, especially those that just hit a new tier of crafting level, have to carry around a set of scales/tool claw that are teched with Craft: [school name] techniques in order to be able to gather/craft reasonably. So while you need to deal with balancing 3 tools per school, think of dragons balancing 8 items per skill (or 2 skills) at higher levels.

  16. #16

    Default Re: A Universal Carafting Tool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilok View Post
    You really have no idea how dragon crafting works do you? Dragons have scale packs they need to upgrade, in addition to cargo disks. Dragons, especially those that just hit a new tier of crafting level, have to carry around a set of scales/tool claw that are teched with Craft: [school name] techniques in order to be able to gather/craft reasonably. So while you need to deal with balancing 3 tools per school, think of dragons balancing 8 items per skill (or 2 skills) at higher levels.
    If you want to talk other gear, cargo gear for bipeds is 8 items to tech for each school. Seems to me that corresponding to a multi-tool, dragons would like a general crafting skill-boost claw to quest for, maybe a claw for each "field" a dragon crafts: spells, scales, claws, lairshaping, crystals, anything else I may have missed. The idea is a boost to skill for raw --> semi-finished as well as semi-finished --> final product without having to swap out anything.

  17. #17

    Default Re: A Universal Carafting Tool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilok View Post
    You really have no idea how dragon crafting works do you? Dragons have scale packs they need to upgrade, in addition to cargo disks. Dragons, especially those that just hit a new tier of crafting level, have to carry around a set of scales/tool claw that are teched with Craft: [school name] techniques in order to be able to gather/craft reasonably. So while you need to deal with balancing 3 tools per school, think of dragons balancing 8 items per skill (or 2 skills) at higher levels.
    Teching your scales is like bipeds teching their cargo armor, right? I love playing the dragon, I am over level 20 now, and I did not have to run around to find anyone to make me tier II tools. However, I did add some techs to my scales for crafting.

    Although, even if I'm a level 23 dragon crafter, I still cannot make my level 20 head scale. Which brings up another point, even if I was a level 23 biped, I doubt I would have enough crafting skill to make my own tools, even if I could find the recipes for all of them. As a dragon, I'm happy that I am not having to bother doing anything at all, i got an automatic upgrade to all my crafting abilities from Crafting I, to crafting II.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Disappearing tool
    By TheRock in forum Help (Question and Answer)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: October 29th, 2010, 06:45 PM
  2. Weapon and Tool dye
    By Dartshadow in forum Marketplace
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 14th, 2010, 01:07 AM
  3. Tool Shed
    By Charys Stormchild in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 17th, 2009, 05:22 AM
  4. Tool claws
    By Amerelium in forum Game Bugs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 12th, 2008, 01:18 PM
  5. Tool Belts
    By Brassandyn in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2005, 04:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •