Thread: Chaos June 18 Maint: Really Necessary?

Default Chaos June 18 Maint: Really Necessary?

Is today's maintenance of Chaos server really necessary, given the large amount of downtime this past week? Counting today and last Tuesday's maintenances, this makes 5 times in a week that Chaos server has been down, and most of these downtimes affected the morning times.

I don't really see what was so important that needed to be done today to take Chaos offline for the full maintenance, since the server was restarted multiple times last week due to the hardware/database issues. There also is no mention of a live update to Chaos/Order. The only other thing I can think of being done is a back-up, which again, is it really necessary to take the server down so soon after the recent downtimes for a weekly back-up?

Default Re: Chaos June 18 Maint: Really Necessary?

If we skip today's maintenance, then we run into the danger that Chaos might not be able to last more than a week without maintenance.

What if, say, Chaos went down last on a Friday (I don't know when it went down, but let's assume Friday).

Let's say they decided "Oh, we just did a full restart on Friday, let's skip it this Tuesday".

That means, it has to go from Friday to the Tuesday after that following Tuesday. Instead of 7 days, that's 10 days. But what if the servers can't really handle more than 7 days consecutive uptime? What if skipping Tuesday Maint means that the server goes down that Saturday or Sunday all over again? Would you rather Chaos go down on at Sat or Sun?

Then we get locked into this never-ending cycle of having to do Emergency Maint on Chaos late-week, or worse, weekend every time it goes down.

But yet if we do Maintenance on a Tuesday after it going down late in the previous week, people complain.

Instead of having it go down on a weekend because they skipped maint, they decided they'll just bear the brunt of people complaining.

It sucks that Chaos is down several times in the same week, but rest assured, they're doing everything they can to ensure a good play experience, and if that means taking the server down on Tuesday even though it just crashed a few days ago, well fine. That's better than a horrible play experience this weekend.

If it had gone down once, I wouldn't have a problem. However, it went down 3 times for database/hardware issues within 2 days (last was Thursday morning). For any company, having that much downtime relating to the same issue is unheard of, especially since the downtime on one of the maints was extended out by 2 additional hours after the restart began.

And all you did was post some hypothetical situation. We don't know what would happen, and since I've been here I've never seen them skip a maint, so as far as I have seen no one knows how stable the servers would be. I would much rather see them skip the maint as a way to make up for the excessive downtime that occurred, and then if an issue does occur I would be understanding that it was from skipping maint to try to make up for the 3 extra restarts, and then we would know how stable the servers are going longer than a week without a restart.

The short answer is that yes, maintenance today is normal weekly maintenance and it is required.

There are some simulation changes that are required that won't effect anything gameplay wise which are being rolled out during maintenance.

So while players don't always see the various things that happen during maintenance each week, as it doesn't seem to have any effect on them, it is needed each week.

Thank you for your patience.

-Istaria Development Team

Thread Information