Thread: Quests - Question for Dev's (Player-made Quests)

Default Quests - Question for Dev's (Player-made Quests)

Sadly I don't have the time during the summer building season, but this could be a fall/winter project for me and perhaps other players as well...

With Paladin as my primary ever since I've played the game, it has been a bit of a let down to find out that this prestige class has no class-specific quests. So on this note...

Developers...what is your take on player made quests? What are the requirements, limits, etcetera? Are new items possible (i.e. armor, weapons, forms, etc.)? I have toyed with the idea for years, and am thinking of an 'Epic' quest line that starts from when one first becomes a Paladin (I'm pretty sure other classes could use this too, whether prestige or not) all the way to reaching 100 and then some.

Is this an option for other players to make quests? What all is needed other than the text itself...any details and or specific needs to make it easier for you as the developers, but to also enhance the game by adding quests to the game...preferably more to enhance a class rather than to just add 'fluff'. Fluff is nice...sometimes...but it is nicer when there are actual purposes behind a quest...a reason to go do them than to simply add to one's vault stack.

I'm sure there is a lot of talented players out there who would love to be able to add richness to the game.

Aaelefein
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Default Re: Quests - Question for Dev's (Player-made Quests)

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ion-Guidelines

Hopefully that answers many of your questions.

Go for it! Wish I had been around long enough to have the knowledge to do something like this.

Velea,

Thank you for the link...it and the follow-on by Steel Claw answers many questions.

I'm sure I'll have more as I dig into this, but in reference to #6 (from your link) as to what is not accepted "...discovery of epic spells, or new abilities, or reintroduction..."

Requesting clarification on a couple things: What defines an 'Epic Spell'? I know some quests offer abilities (Dragon's mostly, but don't think they are the only ones) - so is this still a 'hard and fast' rule or are there exceptions on a case-by-case basis to new abilities? (none in mind atm, but just laying some ground work/rules before starting in the fall).

Not mentioned specifically, what about new items? No reason they can't use existing artwork, what other kind of limitations might their be? (other than the obvious of being non-epic - though when I near the end of the arc I might ask more on that).

It is all sort of floating around in my head at the moment, but as stated in the opening message...looking at starting this probably 5 levels after one becomes a paladin with quest(s) at least every 10th level (25, 30, 40, 50, and so on). I see some as a 'Returning to One's Roots' where they have to do something of the pure cleric or warrior nature - definitely some stuff involving the undead, but not exclusively. Bringers of Justice, there are plenty of mobs already in existence that can be vanquished.

Thank you,

Aaelefein
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist

Aaelefein, mostly we just want players to keep in mind that we reserve the right to refuse or change any quest, reward, etc that is submitted.

New items are no problem, but anything that would require new artwork is most likely a no-go simply because of the requirements. Icons aren't as big a deal and can be done, but new models, particle effects, animations, and sounds are more costly and involved.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Aaelefein, mostly we just want players to keep in mind that we reserve the right to refuse or change any quest, reward, etc that is submitted.

New items are no problem, but anything that would require new artwork is most likely a no-go simply because of the requirements. Icons aren't as big a deal and can be done, but new models, particle effects, animations, and sounds are more costly and involved.
    Would you guys accept player made models etc? Not that I could do that atm.. just curious. Of course it would have to fit with the game..

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post

Amon,

Thank you for replying. I certainly don't have a problem with that - your knowing the inner intricacies of the game and balance, it only makes sense...as does the limitations on new artwork, etc. Again, this is just to give me a reference point for when I start to put what's floating around in my head down on paper...and as of this moment I have no ideas as to any possible new spells, abilities, weapons, etc. - but I know I and other people like things other than gold, stack gobblers, or for the many already at 100 - simply more XP that does nothing (though I'm sure that's what probably 75% of the rewards will most likely be).

Thanks,

Aaelefein
    Spirit Brothers

Thread Information