Thread: Knight of Creation - thoughts

Default Knight of Creation - thoughts

I've heard that the summoned shield and sword are inferior to crafted versions.....

So! As being able to summon their own weapon and shield is one of the few things that makes KNOC unique, I thought it would be best to change those two spells so the summoned items are superior in some way different then the crafted items besides doing a little bit more damage per swing.

Summoned sword & shield:
    - Sword deals a small amount of ethereal fire damage upon every strike (Similar to a fire kicker crystal)
    - make the shield deal a small amount of ethereal fire damage upon every BLOCK, or give it a chance to deal a medium to just-a-little-bit-above-medium fire damage every block. I say a little bit above medium because blocking an attack isn't as likely as hitting something, and since it occurs less often - it should have more of a 'reward'.

OR
    - make the sword apply a DoT upon every strike. Have it deal ethereal fire damage every tick.
    - make the shield apply a DoT upon every block that stacks with the one the sword applies.

OR

- The sword can deal extra damage/apply a dot on a swing, and the shield can apply a minor healing over time effect to the KNOC when they block an attack, or the sword and shield can simply have a chance to apply these effects.

Reasoning behind choosing ethereal fire damage: The "Holy fires of God" and all that, as well as....no one really escapes holy wrath, so I think it should be ethereal because armor doesn't help against the wrath of a god.

Reasoning behind DoT/HoT effect: The sword deals damage, so either a DoT or kick damage type effect seems suitable. As a shield doesn't deal damage but protects against it (unless you shield bash, but I don't think that's possible), I thought applying a healing-over-time-effect would be suitable to aid said shield in protecting the KNOC.

I want to stress the fact that the ethereal fire DoT effect(s) are suggested to be ethereal and therefore must have slightly decreased base damage to compensate, because anything ethereal nearly automatically deals 'decent' damage.

*Disclaimer!* This suggestion comes from what I've seen on the wiki and from what people have said in-game. I have not leveled the school to 100 yet.

Edit: Of the summoned sword and shield could just be socketable somehow, but that seems too 'band-aid fix' or 'the easy way' to me....But still a possibility.
    Last edited by Alisto; July 3rd, 2013 at 04:30 PM.

Default Re: Knight of Creation - thoughts

One problem is that, once the items are summoned, they are permanently bound to you as long as the effect is active. You cannot do anything with the sword or shield except to remove the buff and make them disappear. They occupy the slots and there is no moving them.

Over time leveling, I've grown to love the KNOC over BTLM personally. It's just something about them I really dig. Their summoned weapons do suck compared to adamantium and mithril tech'd weaponry. It would be nice to see something done with them.
    rip

Last I played knoc, the shield gave ethereal armor which is pretty unique. Perhaps the sword could have a small chance to do ethereal damage instead of a normal hit (similar to the long forgotten xtal). Nothing weong with your DoT suggestion, Alisto, I just don't feel knoc's are about using DoT's.

The wikia suggests that knoc receives the summon sword ability every 5 levels but the shield every 10. Perhaps bring those inline and their values could then be adjusted accordingly. They receive their highest versions at lvl 100, so if we want those to be at least as good as the t6 gear, that shouldn't be too hard....

Happy huntings, see has in Istaria
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

I love the idea of it doing ethereal damage. Perhaps make it 3% chance per tier. Perhaps with a same chance of an ethereal damage kicker equal to a similar tiered crystal. Also I noticed it's slower than a longsword could this be addressed.

tbh no.
    Ethereal damage is the mystic expertise - spiritist/bloodmage/reaver
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    tbh no.
    Ethereal damage is the mystic expertise - spiritist/bloodmage/reaver
    Really I always thought of these as spirit damage

You could argue "no because others do that damage or this damage" for ANY damage type.

Oh and finally mages can cause ethereal fire damage soooo that blows your argument out of the water.

They can do indeed, but it is a timed ability that works only with spell fire damage so a very limited usage.
    You want anytime ethereal melee damage - while even the Reaver have it on a timed ability too.

Ethereal is not ANY damage, it's a very special form of spirit damage - with a tiny twist given to mages for fire damage spells.

So i still think that knoc should not get access to ethereal melee damage especially considering they already get an almost similar effect with Banish Armor.
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Ethereal is not ANY damage, it's a very special form of spirit damage
    I do not completely agree with this.

Anyway, all I have seen is that ethereal attacks tend to be spirit, but not always are, and I have seen no quest/lorething in game to indicate ethereal attacks are a special form of spirit damage.

That said, there is...
    1) A old old crystal that makes attacks ethereal

2) A 'trinket' (right word? Those little consumable frog looking things that gives a 3 minute or so buff) that gives a chance for attacks to be ethereal - ethereal any melee attack

3) Mage 'Fusion Burn' ability - Ethereal Fire

4) A shaman passive ability that makes all blight damage done by the shaman ethereal. http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Blight_Adept - ethereal blight

5) Since ethereal damage ignores armor, I'm going to include the demon claw, and a dragon usually uses slash or primal damage. I realize this one is slightly shaky, but it does exactly the same thing as an ethereal attack, so - ethereal Slash/primal

6) I believe Elial does ethereal slash damage. Take a look at the Riftrender - Ethereal Slash

I've used the frogtrinket a couple of times, and my attacks that become Ethereal do not suddenly say [ x Spirit ] or [ x Ethereal Spirit ] or some variation of that. Aha! It's called an Ethereal Figurine.

So it seems ethereal attacking it just a way to attack and ignore armor, and is not a strictly spirit-damage type thing. I'd say -spirit- damage is mostly bloodmage/spiritist/reaver territory, but Ethereal isn't.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

Nothing weong with your DoT suggestion, Alisto, I just don't feel knoc's are about using DoT's.
    If you'll look at my post (my slightly unorganized post >.>) you'll see I suggested a DoT and a kicker-damage type thing. See quote below.
    - Sword deals a small amount of ethereal fire damage upon every strike (Similar to a fire kicker crystal)
    I do like the suggestion of having a chance for the sword swing itself to do Ethereal.

Just to clarify there are Damage Types (Flame, Ice, Spirit, Blight, Mind, etc) and there are Armor Types (Physical and Ethereal). Most damage in the game is Physical and so uses your Armor value, but some is Ethereal and uses Ethereal Armor instead. To use Flame as an example, an attack can be Flame (Physical) or Flame (Ethereal). Or technically also Flame (Unstoppable), but that is rarely used except for Damage Shields and the like.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Actually the fusion burn does not work on a enemy of the same type, example being say giant fire bettles. even with both burn out 3 and fusion burn you hit for zero flame damage cause those things have a VERY high flame resistance.
    Second what type of armor resists things that deal direct damage. example the carrion crawlers dot that cant be dispelled if im right deal Spirit damage (direct) dont remember if it is ethreal or not.

As for the comment about damage shields. What ever ability mylocs have or use will even block damage shields return damage

Thanks for clarifications, Amon.
    And since we are at it, i do remember getting a blighted claw that had a % chance to do ethereal damage so I stand corrected.

I still believe that easy and unlimited access to ethereal damage should remain in mystic realm, but that's only an opinion.
    Last edited by Northwind; July 5th, 2013 at 01:27 PM.

Ok well howabout something a little unique.

Since KnoC's are a Summoner class perhaps have their melee assault randomly sheath their blade with a damage kicker, perhaps something like.
    level 20 5%chance for a fire kicker 40-50 damage
    Level 60 5% chance for an Ice Kicker 40-50 damage
    level 100 5% chance for an Energy Kicker 40-50 Damage

and yes its possible for all three to trigger. although highly unlikely

Thread Information