Thread: Elder Hermit

Default Elder Hermit

Life had been far too simple. Wake, eat, tinker, repair, repeat. Once in a while, add 'tunnel' to the routine when it felt like a change of scenery was needed. And indeed, there had been plenty of that – the lair had grown to mind boggling levels of intertwined caverns and halls showing true mastery of the art of laircraft. If Relstaroth were to visit, he might have wept with envy or pride for his student's success.

But at what cost?

The world continues on without the resident, old Runos. Lantua had left through the gate of embers to explore once more, unlikely to return. The adopted had either become independent or fledged. The halls were a maze of empty places with no more to offer than a master's workshops. Yet, the old ancient had all but given up on going outside, putting up with the silence.

In times past, hatchlings and adults alike had come to her – to be mentored and to speak and share knowledge. Old traditions and customs had been passed down in this location for years upon years. But not for the last few. The only ones to recieve any mentorship now were forged golems – primal powered sentries that patrolled personal lair areas to keep hoarded valuables and library contents safe from thieves.

One of these, who was off its rotation for patrol to recharge opted to stand behind Runos while she forged at a smelter. She had been trying to create an adamantium alloy – something stronger than just the adamantium with some flexibility akin to crucible steel. As it stood – adamantium was simply just a brittle metal that shattered into shards when bent too much. Supplies were running low – she hadnt been outside in a while. And the golem knew it too, however simple its mind be.

“QUERY: MASTER – outside soon?” it asked. Its voice sounds like wind blowing through a pipe.

“It will, but only for what we need. Outside is a dreadful place.” Runos said, continuing to work the bars of the sample alloy.

“NOTICE: Life dependency: Food. Records show low supply.” the golem pointed out.

“I know. But with that running low, its either fish for a week or talk to a farmer. The latter involves interactions.” the old dragon sighed.

“QUERY: Why avoid inter-face?” the golem asked with a limited vocabulary, trying to inquire as to why Runos had become more and more of an old urban hermit in her cavernous domain.

“The world is not what it was. Many great dragons have faded away to blight or left through the gate to seek adventure or rest. And the hatchlings these days – alas, that is a problem on its own.” the old dragon looked over her shoulder at the golem and shook her head.

“QUERY: Hatchling Error?” the golem inquired curiously.

“Some seem like errors. Errors made by parents who were not ready.” the elder grunted.

“QUERY: Information.” It asked.

With a sigh, Runos turned from the forge, now that most the the work was done. “You wish to know what I see of things now? Why I am not quite so ready to venture out for long now?”

The golem stared blankly. “Confirm.” it stated.

The old dragon settled down next to the heat of the smelter.

“I had told you what it was like long ago. As time progressed, the blight has seeped into all parts of the world. The land, air, sky and water is poisoned slowly. And so it is the corruption seeps into us, as we consume and drink.”

“Abberations from the outer worlds are flung into the prime, who seem like dragons but are not. The star dragons mingle, their blood enters the lines. Half the time it is fine, and many children continued the traditions. Other children were poison, and the corruptions were doubled on our race. Now not only blight, but blood of the stars that makes our race die with each generation.”

“Many parents did not grow with an example, and in being an orphan, did not know what was expected of them. They aspired to grow quickly, to fly quickly, and shirk their responsibilities. They wanted to fly and breed, but did not have knowledge to live by. Some were the poisonous children, and some of the star dragons too.”

“And so it slides more – the children of the unions of the unprepared parents are abandoned. The role models have become those who fledged quickly simply to breed and fly without wisdom to succeed. When they produce hatchlings, they do not know how or what to teach them. The cycle cannot be broken – they fledge, they breed, they cannot teach, they abandon, and the hatchlings follow their parent's example.”

“It is in this that I mourn. To once be a great teacher and elder, now badmouthed and abused by those freshly hatched. None remember that us old dragons commanded respect in traditions. Many believe dragons are everywhere, but I know that we are sparse.” She concluded.

The golem did not seem phased by emotions. “ERROR: Cannot resolve while inside.”

Runos frowned. “But as I said – what is the point? None of them listen anymore. We as a race are truly doomed.”

“ERROR: Infinite Loop. Break out of loop to resolve.” the construct tried to offer. It paused for a moment. “ACTION REQUIRED: Loop error.”

“Yes Mythril, but they--” Runos was interrupted.

“MAINTENANCE REQUIRED: Hatchling Population.” the golem noted. “ERROR: Cannot resolve while inside.”

“So what you are trying to tell me is that I should go outside and find some way to fix the endless hatchling problem?” Runos shook her head.

“Confirm.”

“Mythril, what is your reasoning behind insisting I fix the hatchlings?” Runos grunted at the golem.

“FEATURE: Existance.” the golem's windy voice whispered. On rare occasions the golems could surprise her with wise tidbits, although very few and far apart.

“So what you are trying to convey is they deserve a chance because they exist?” The elder inquired.

“Confirm.”

“Even if I have tried to teach many who did not accept or understand what was taught?”

“Confirm.”

Runos shook her head, but she had to admit perhaps the golem was right for once. It was time to go outside and stay out there. She stood up and stretched, the heat from the smelter fading as it cooled.

“NOTICE: Life dependency: Food. Records show low supply.” the golem pointed out.

“I know, I know, I'll get it while I'm out...” the old dragon sighed.

Default Re: Elder Hermit

*bows in deep respect and affection*

hope to see you soon, Runos.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Thread Information