Thread: Dragon Families: What they are, and the Roleplay Involved

Default Dragon Families: What they are, and the Roleplay Involved

Hello,

I figured I would start this thread to share some of my experience involving Role-playing a Dragon family. Playing as Silithus I have adopted many hatchlings' in my time, and one recently asked for information regarding this aspect of roleplay. It can add a lot to the experience of playing a dragon in Istaria, and help to flesh out the background of your character if you so choose. Also since our player-base is much smaller, this helps by giving players another avenue of social interaction.

First, the styles of adoption. There are a couple major styles (in my experience) of adoption: Master/Apprentice, Parent/Child (Related), and Parent/Child (Adopted).

Master/Apprentice is a style for those who want less of the affectionate side of family dynamics and more of the 'Old Sensei on the Mountain', an example of which is a Master Swordsmen teaching a Novice. The younger dragon is expected to earn their keep, and the older is expected to pass on knowledge and experience, and spend time training the younger.

Parent/Child on the other hand (whether the two dragons are related or not) tends to be closer. The older dragon fulfills the role of Mother or Father to the younger hatchling, and often displays more affection (Nuzzling, wing-hugs, etc.) than the Master/Apprentice relationship. There can be similar dynamics to Master/Apprentice as far as the passing on of knowledge, etc.

Terminology: In my experience, the parent is known as A'meo (for males) or A'mea (for females) and the child is referred to as the Aorban (little on) though it's up to you what terminology you want to use.

I will continue to add to this thread as time permits~

-Silithus Zerr
    Lunus Ancient Dragon - 100 Adv. 100 Craft. 100 Lair. 49 CrystalShaper
    Feel free to add me on Facebook: [email protected]

Default Re: Dragon Families: What they are, and the Roleplay Involved

Good idea to make it a thread Sil !

May I add something from our experience as dragon-parents:
    There are children we call children of our bloodline.
    Some special dragon sense told us that when we first saw the eggs.
    Or the just new born hatchies.
    Though we love all our children, it seems that blood line children are even a bit closer to our souls.
    And we do everything for them and watch and guide them until they are ancients of there own-
    and there is nothing left to teach or help them with.
    But even then the family ties stay very tide.

and we love them all!!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Cool stuff...I remember you mentioning some of this in Dragon Chat the other day...

Couple of other terms from Erdoten k'Eilerten....a teacher or guide would be Kaiser Daerao(a), while a mentor would be Keis Kaiser Daerao(a)....Ras'eileir seems to translate as "Master or High-Ranking", while Daerao seems to indicate one of lowest rank (student or apprentice, perhaps).
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and extra-tasty dipped in ketchup.

Something very important I forgot to mention:

Edit: Why not start a thread for hatchlings looking to be adopted and adults willing to adopt as well?

1) The adoption process is a two-way road, so make sure that the hatchling or adult is a willing participant. If they don't wish to adopt or be adopted, respect their decision.

2) Don't expect your mentor/parent to do everything for you also - if they want to donate time to help you, great! But don't make them feel obligated to help you power-level or craft everything for you. Often it's a Roleplay relationship, not a road to freebies. If you really do need help though, feel free to ask but do so politely and accept it if they say they are busy.

-Silithus
    Last edited by Silithus Zerr; August 8th, 2013 at 04:16 AM.

Where do you go if you want to be adopted??

For Order shard at least, I just created a thread for posting your interests. Feel free to throw down a Character Bio and what your looking for~

-Silithus

I have never really been into roll playing so I am on the Chaos server… however the mention of a “family” sounds really nice right now in such an unpopulated world. I guess it wouldn't be that hard to get into charcater as a "cold and hungry hatchling wondering around a world of Chaos looking for it’s mother"

I will post this here as it seems a bood example of Family Role Play:

Okay, first the back story: (This started on Chaos server) Zarkela started her life in Chiconis where she grew up as a happy productive hatchling, and under the watchful eyes of her parents she had reached adult, settled down with a Black Dragon, named Larus Fel, and clutched 5 eggs, but then word came of an impending disaster and a special machine must be built, the Novian Device was thus constructed and played a key role in Zarkela's life, as when the Withered Aegis struck, all of istaria (Then Horizons) was destroyed, it was after the rebirth of Istaria that Zarkela was reborn. Zarkela then went on to become an Ancient, she was among the first to do so. ((bit of ooc history, I and the one who would have been my mate, left shortly after due to issues with another player, when I tried to come back, windows 7 was out and istaria would not work, by the time it was fixed I was already deep in World of Warcraft, finally returning to Istaria after I tried the free trial on Order and found good folks, that is when Zarkela' life really took off.))

Since then, my role play family has become quite extensive, Zarkela's family is perhaps the oldest on Order, certainly made up of some very good players, Aleron, Her Brother, FrostMoon, Schwarz, Kirmizi, MidnightClaw and others more recent (the search continues).
    Zarkela - Green Dragoness - Helian

Thread Information