Thread: Best method for Cleric/Mage

Question Best method for Cleric/Mage

I am interested in making a Cleric/Mage and I currently have Cleric up to 20 and Mage up to 15.

I was going to switch back and forth as I level up keeping both classes around the same level… kind of a leapfrog method. After reading the forum a little bit and hearing all the problems regarding adventure ratings, I am unsure if this is actually the best method or not.

A.) Is it best to go up Mage first to 100, then add Cleric next?
    B.) Is it best to go up Cleric first to 100, then add Mage next?
    C.) Is it best to leap frog my way up switching back and forth?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Best method for Cleric/Mage

I would do Warrior and Cleric at the same time, as they use the same gear. Mage would be your third. This a strong foundation for multiclassing in the future, and being that all three are base classes (not hybrid or prestigious) your rating will be impacted the least. By the time you get Mage to 100, you will also be close to being able to permanently equip priceless adamantium jewelry.

The reason you want Warrior is due to the skill gains. No single school gives you as much as WAR does.
    http://istariareference.com/schools.asp?school=Warrior

There is a rating calculator I wrote up awhile back. You can find it here http://fabricisle.com/rating/
    rip

I am not all that interested in Malee really. Originally I was going to do Mage/Healer but somebody told me that Cleric was better than healer. My character is a Saris, so I figured it was important to use her natural abilities with LIFE... or is that even important?

I'm not sure what the racial bonus is, but if it's something like +20, then you won't even notice it. If it were +% then you might. If you have your heart set on arcane magic and want some healing to back you up, healer will give more life and focus, so your heals will be better and your attack spells will have a higher chance to hit. Unfortunately there is very little in the way of cross over between mystic and arcane magic schools, so although being able to heal is great, as 2 starting schools they don't really compliment each other all that well, but don let that dissuade you! Cleric can wear better armor than healer, so maybe easier to level, other than that, with leveling Mage at the same time you'd probably use magic even as cleric so you wouldn't notice any difference in melee skills.

Don't be concerned about rating until you have 4 or more adventure schools, and even then you'd only struggle a bit if they were all under 40. Don't be afraid to try level one of the magic/melee schools as well, so you'd have cleric/healer, Mage and perhaps battlemage. You could cast all the same spells as Mage, and battlemage wears better armor (aside: battlemage armor may or may not be changing in the future... I really have no idea what the story is there though, sorry).
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

To expand upon H8's idea of complimenting classes perhaps rather than go mage you could go spiritist which is a mystic class and other than blood mage the closest to a damage dealing purecaster mystic.

(Btw the benefit of the mystic classes is that they gain access to each other's spells meaning as a cleric you would have access to all the spiritist' spells)

I have found myself even more confused as to what adventure classes I want to put together, but to go back to my original question… Is it better to work up one class to 100 and then do the next class? Or is it better to leap frog the two classes up together at the same time?

Personal choice, I would say 5 levels at a time. Do the 'easier' school first and collect any trophies to use on the other school. Just do whatever is fun, don't let anyone tell you the 'right' way to do something! This is an mmo-RPG, you might learn a lot by asking, but you'll only understand by doing.
    Last edited by hallucin8; August 15th, 2013 at 12:25 AM.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Quote Originally Posted by hallucin8 View Post
    Personal choice, I would say 5 levels at a time. Do the 'easier' school first and collect any trophies to use on the other school. Just do whatever is fun, don't let anyone tell you the 'right' way to do something! This is an mmo-RPG, you might learn a lot by asking, but you'll only understand by doing.
    Hahahhaa, thank you hallucin8! That is the best advice I could have gotten!! I have been yearning for a sandbox game for so long, I forgot what it was like to have choices based on the FUN factor. Thank you for the reminder.

Thread Information