Thread: Delay in free looking ... cursor takes long to toggle to free look

Default Delay in free looking ... cursor takes long to toggle to free look

So, after todays patch, I noticed there was a delay when I would hold down my right mouse button to free look. Examining further it seems it takes a long period of time or more movement from the time of depression until the cursor disappears and free look is enabled.

With this change, free look lags and sucks. It was smoother before. Any ideas?
    rip

Default Re: Delay in free looking ... cursor takes long to toggle to free look

Is there any way to reduce this delay so that it's near instantaneous? However it was before worked. Now I end up selecting a mob or another object and don't go into freelook mode.
    rip

Quote Originally Posted by Dracillion View Post
    Is there any way to reduce this delay so that it's near instantaneous? However it was before worked. Now I end up selecting a mob or another object and don't go into freelook mode.
    I changed the freelook activation to activate after you drag the pointer more than 15 or so pixels from the point you initially pressed the mouse button down. The activation delay is only as fast as you can move the mouse.

The previous implementation waited a fixed number of frames before activating freelook. This (or any time-based) method is unacceptable, since it breaks usability for people who can't press and release the mouse button before the activation delay expires. As an example, getting a context menu to pop up with the time-based method is an exercise in anger management.

A zero-delay, zero-dead-zone implementation means we have to compromise the usability of other applications of the mouse.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Any way you could add an adjustment slider for those who want immediate response versus those who need longer? Like a 0-30s delay scale or some such.

The way it was before, bringing up the context menu wasn't a problem. Where else does one use right click extensively?
    rip

Thread Information