Thread: Armor Use

Question Armor Use

I do not understand the "Armor Use" skill. A mage is stuck in Cloth armor no matter what the Armor Use is, so how is having a high Armor Use of any benefit to a mage? Once you hit 100, your still in cloth armor even though you have the same armor use skill as a warrior wearing plate male armor. Is it just a matter of getting up to the highest cloth available to mage? What am I missing here?

Default Re: Armor Use

Not all classes get 10 Armor use per level, so without level other schools, they'll never get to wear their 'best' armor. Level 91 armor needs 910, so unless the class gets 10 per level, even at level 100, they cannot wear the lvl 91 armor. This also has implications as you level up, of course. Hope that helps.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

What ium said, you will need armor use like any other skill in order to equip certain items. Without it, you won't be able to say wear Mithril Platemail.

Items in addition to having current level school requirements will also often have a skill requirement. If you gain 9 armor use per level, you will only be at 900 armor use base at level 100. There is no 'current' of this, it will always be 900 until you level a school that would get you more, such as one that gives you 10 per level, at 91 you would have 910 armor use.

This is why Warrior is so important. Mage is good, yes, but Warrior gets you all weapon skills plus max health and 10 armor use per level. One school levels your skills to equip almost everything.
    rip

OkWhat everyone seems to be missing is that although you will remain stuck in cloth armour as a mage the armour use skill along with your level effects what tier armour you can use.
    Also remember that as the tier goes up the number of techs each piece of armour can take goes up

So for example cloth armour
    Level------armour use------armour type
    1 - 10-----------10----------flax cloth armour
    11 - 20----------110--------Flax padded armour
    21 - 30----------210--------Knaf cloth armour (tier II)
    31 - 40----------310--------Knaf padded armour
    41 - 50----------410--------Cotton cloth armour (tier III)
    51 - 60----------510--------Cotton padded armour
    61 - 70----------610--------Silk cloth armour (tier IV)
    71 - 80----------710--------Silk padded armour
    81 - 90----------810--------Ironsilk cloth armour (tier V)
    91 - 100---------910-------Ironsilk padded armour
    Last edited by Calyndrell; August 15th, 2013 at 10:50 AM.

So for example light metal armour
    1 - 10-----------10----------bronze ringmail
    11 - 20----------110--------bronze chainmail
    21 - 30----------210--------Iron Ringmail (tier II)
    31 - 40----------310--------Iron chainmail
    41 - 50----------410--------Steel Ringmail(tier III)
    51 - 60----------510--------Steel Chainmail
    61 - 70----------610--------Cobalt Ringmail(tier IV)
    71 - 80----------710--------Cobalt chainmail
    81 - 90----------810--------Mithril Ringmail (tier V)
    91 - 100---------910-------Mithril chainmail

So for example Heavy metal armour
    1 - 10-----------10----------bronze scalemail
    11 - 20----------110--------bronze platemail
    21 - 30----------210--------Iron scalemail (tier II)
    31 - 40----------310--------Iron platemail
    41 - 50----------410--------Steel scalemail(tier III)
    51 - 60----------510--------Steel Platemail
    61 - 70----------610--------Cobalt scalemail(tier IV)
    71 - 80----------710--------Cobalt platemail
    81 - 90----------810--------Mithril scalemail(tier V)
    91 - 100---------910-------Mithril platemail

What people have been missing a good explanation of is that some schools can't wear certain types of armour.
    Most arcane classes can only wear cloth armours, mage being one of those classes. This is why you cannot wear anything better than cloth, and as you said, it's a matter of getting the best cloth for mages.
    Also, even mages must take a school like warrior ( ) - that gets 10 armour use per level - because they cannot wear their best armour otherwsie. (i recall mages got..8 or 7 maybe? armour use per level. Which ends us below 910 skill so they are limited to lv80 or lv71 armour with that class alone)

Actually mage gets 10 per level, that is why I got all confused. My husband’s warrior also gets 10 per level. So we have the same Armor Use skill, but even at 100 my cloth armor will never be as good as his plate.

Does this mean that if I switch to another adventure class (one that uses plate), I could use Mithril Platemail armor as a level 1 since I would already have 1000 Armor Use skill? Or would I be stuck in bronze like all the other level 1s?

You'd be stuck with bronze, but if you have 1000 armor use and a current crafting class at 100, you can wear padded ironsilk in a level 1 adventure class.
    I just lost the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kritterly View Post
    Actually mage gets 10 per level, that is why I got all confused. My husband’s warrior also gets 10 per level. So we have the same Armor Use skill, but even at 100 my cloth armor will never be as good as his plate.

Does this mean that if I switch to another adventure class (one that uses plate), I could use Mithril Platemail armor as a level 1 since I would already have 1000 Armor Use skill? Or would I be stuck in bronze like all the other level 1s?
    It does? *is glad*
    ahem
    If you switched to another adventure class that permits it, you'd be able to use heavy armour (plate/scale). But you would not be able to use mithril at lv1, even with the armour use skill.
    Armour has three requirements: Armour use skill, Current school and -Current level-. Because your current level would be one you'd have to use bronze still.

Quote Originally Posted by jerk-o View Post
    You'd be stuck with bronze, but if you have 1000 armor use and a current crafting class at 100, you can wear padded ironsilk in a level 1 adventure class.
    And padded iron Silk is roughly equal to steel platemail... but with tier V techs

Technically yes, but you would not be able to equip padded ironsilk armor teched with t5 techs at level 1 adventure because those techs have lvl80 adv as requirement.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

to clarify biped armors. Metal, hide and leather have 3 requirements (Armor use, current adventure school level, in current school that is allowed to use the armor). a level 1 adv biped CAN wear fully teched padded ironsilk if they have the following. A: current school level (adventure OR craft of 91) B: armor use of 910. cloth armor is the ONLY armor type that all biped adventure schools can wear and does not have the "current Adventure school" restriction. Jewely is the same way as cloth and padded cloth just excluding the armor use requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    Technically yes, but you would not be able to equip padded ironsilk armor teched with t5 techs at level 1 adventure because those techs have lvl80 adv as requirement.
    Bzzzt, sorry that is incorrect. Techs do not dictate level to equip. If you were to have, for example, 100 Mage & scholar, and started leveling Cleric at lvl 1, you could wear T5 padded (or is it cloth?) armor and T5 health jewelry all T5 teched, as they only have the requirement "current level" which refers to either craft or adventure, and of course the armor use for the armor.

hmm, i remember my ped having troubles wearing teched ironsilk padded armor after changing adv class - but cannot really recall if it was involving techs or t5/t6 crystals. Or maybe I changed both adv and cra? Pff - getting too old for this.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

That will be down to the crystals.

Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    That will be down to the crystals.
    Bingo! You'll note crystals have crafting, adventure or current level as a requirement, depending on what type of crystal.

Armor and weapon xtals have adv, crafting and tool have craft and jewelry xtals have current... I think

Stat crystals regardless of if they are armour or tool etc are current class adv/craft.

Thread Information