Thread: Helian Dragon Scales

Question Helian Dragon Scales

I hit level 100 Dragoncraft yesterday, yippee! I want to start working on a super great set of dragon armor so that I can get my adventure skill up too. I know it will take forever to collect the components I need, but at least I can get started on it.

This brings me to the question of “What should the ideal Dragon Armor have”? My dragon is most definitely Helian, so I know I want lots of Primal, Power & Focus… but somebody pointed out that I will want Speed and Velocity on the wings.

I don’t have any spectacular crystals yet, but should I be putting the sockets on there for later?
    Is there anything else that is “a must have” that should not be forgotten? I will likely be spending a month or two (possibly longer) trying to build this set of super armor, so I would like it to be just perfect!

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Helian Dragon Scales

At lower levels, sockets for crystals aren't really all that needed, though you will have tri-socketed forelegs, chest and x2 on the head for your t5 scaleset ( the vast majority of the time this is what I do with my scales if the purpose I'm making them for doesn't require otherwise ).

A 'must have' is the piercing winds tech on the wings, and some sort of tech kit on the claw (rending, battle forged, sharper). I found everything MUCH easier after I started using these techs, though they are leaning towards the melee side.

As for the speed and velocity techs - As a hatchling, you might want Speed techs, though any need for that tech is gone once you ascend to adult/ancient. And a simple stat priority thing....
    Primal > Power > Focus.

Primal is good just in general. You want it, end of story.

Power and focus both give some primal skill, though I've been doing some testing lately and focus fell a little short of power in total value.

You can get piercing winds and the tech kits that go on the claw from the Indestructible Fyakki in the Eastern Deadlands. I'm sure there are other places, but I've found that one is the easiest - and you get crystals and hoard too \o/.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisto View Post
    A 'must have' is the piercing winds tech on the wings, and some sort of tech kit on the claw (rending, battle forged, sharper). I found everything MUCH easier after I started using these techs, though they are leaning towards the melee side.
    I don't see Piercing Winds as a tech on the HCC... is it a crystal?

You can get piercing winds and the tech kits that go on the claw from the Indestructible Fyakki in the Eastern Deadlands. I'm sure there are other places, but I've found that one is the easiest - and you get crystals and hoard too \o/.
    I am assuming this is the name of a mob and not a NPC to buy it from, lol? What level are they?

Peircing winds -is- a tech, but HCC has a lot of holes in it (one of the reasons i don't use it)
    ahem
    Peircing winds, battle forged, razor teeth etc. are all tech kits dropped by some t6 mobs, most commonly picked on for them are the fyakki in the ED, lv113-116. (i.e. very strong if you don't have a lv100).
    For a spellcaster, peircing winds is a /need/ as, as far as i know, it's meant to affect spells.
    For the rest of the armour, you put primal on there as a must (hindlegs back and tail)
    You're also going to want the chest and forelegs triple socketed at the crystals tend to be better than techs for whne you get the appropriate crystals.
    Headscale, you'll want two jewlery sockets and razor teeth.
    Wings and the other two tech slots on hindlegs back and tail is where you get a bit of freedom.
    Usually, i put power and focus on the hindlegs back and tail, but again, these two techs are more choice. You could put health and power, focus and health, maybe dex and power. These techs are more orientated to your play style. Do you want maximum power on spells? MAybe you want to have quite a bit of health and maximun damage on spells? Or perhaps to try to not miss a spell ever?
    As for the wings, peircing winds and, as these hold for dragons the only slots for speed and velocity, those two are considerable techs, you could put velocity and focus or well, again, suited to your playstyle. Likewise with crystals.

^^^ That's of course, as a "general" set. Not orientated towards any specific mob. That's also a t5 set i've made a suggestion for.

I was trying to make these scales to help get to level 100… right now I am at level 70. My hoard is less than half of what it should be so the armor bonus there is really not great, but since I am level 100 crafting I can now wear a full set of mithril scales. Currently my scales are not teched (except for speed and velocity on the wings), so that is why I was trying to make a better set for fighting purposes.

Even though I have my crafting skill maxed, it seems the high-end stuff is still pretty far from reach yet. I was hoping to find a group or something to help get some of the comps I need, but level 113 to 116 is much higher than I thought would be necessary. I am such a scaredy dragon to fight anything higher than my own level, let alone 46 levels higher than me!

I guess I am a better crafter than I am a fighter… yeah, somewhat of a poor example of a dragon, lol.

I'm almost sure that you should be able to get some tech kits from chaos market. If not i could easily try to find said tech kits for you.

A t6 scaleforge (although i have no clue where you coudl find one) will boost your skill by 90, also consider that you can easily make scales tech'd with scalecraft IV too that can boost your skill enough into the t5 range.
    still thinks craft skills need more skill per level. lv80 BLK ped has only just moved onto cobalt and still need ancient to gather.

Bare in mind the type of scales you choose to use be they health. armour, focus, or power based for a helian should either enhance the strengths or help balance out the weak points from where you put your training points. Which ever way you choose to create your final set, you might find yourself tinkering with it and fine tuning it for awhile until you get it just right, and that is perfectly ok. Don't be afraid to experiment because you will want to build them to get the best results for the way you play. I can offer my advice, but it really is just that. The way something works for me, may or may not work for you.

Stat crystals will always give you a better bonus than a tech can. There might not be as much comp hunting as you think for a decent set. If you can't get hold of radiant crystals right away, because the monsters that carry them are too tough, don't worry. You can get shining crystals and upgrade them later as you are able to take on stronger opponents.

There are a few really good quest crystals that I would highly suggest getting hold of at some point if you can:

-Saris Stone of Friendship
    -Darkstaff's Armor Crystal Fragment
    -Restored Darkstaff Armor Crystal
    -Flamestone of Drulkar
    -The Wolf's Bane

Primal crystals only exist for the headscale, so unless you have maxed out your primal with your training points, then use primal tech where you can.

Most certainly create your wing scales with piercing winds tech on them because if you add that with the Bard's Tail, the Flamestone of Drulkar, and your helian primal rage crystal all together, then your casting and recycle are that little bit quicker. I carry two sets of wing scales that I swap between flying and fighting. One set has the razor teeth tech, the other has velocity.

Whatever you do with your claw, you will probably want your primal rage crystal and the flamestone of drulkar in there. I can't stress getting hold of the latter if you are going to be flinging alot of spells around.

I know you are looking at a good set of fighting scales, but please do not forget your spells. A set of fully teched spells can be just as important as a good set of scales.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Quote Originally Posted by Azath View Post
    I'm almost sure that you should be able to get some tech kits from chaos market. If not i could easily try to find said tech kits for you.

A t6 scaleforge (although i have no clue where you could find one) will boost your skill by 90, also consider that you can easily make scales tech'd with scalecraft IV too that can boost your skill enough into the t5 range.
    I would greatly appreciate the help getting the special tech kits Azath! I just hit level 100 dragon craft and I know where a T6 scaleforge is... I have a set of T3 scales for scalecraft (might be able to upgrade a little too if needed), so I think I might be ok with the crafting part. I will concentrate on the Wings first, since they seem to be the most important part.

Quote Originally Posted by Arzel Rashemi View Post
    I carry two sets of wing scales that I swap between flying and fighting. One set has the razor teeth tech, the other has velocity.
    Arzel, that is a great idea! My everyday running around would benefit greatly with a bit of Speed and Velocity, but I would surly want something better on my fighting scales. Two sets of wings! Now why didn’t I think of that…your so smart!

Thank you for all the advise on the crystals too! I made the socketed Forlegs Scales last night. It looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me to fill those sockets though, hehe.

Sorry, more few more questions…

• Does Piercing Wing work just like any other tech or is it more of a “kit” like armor dye?
    • Does Razor Teeth go on any scale besides the head scale?
    • Is Bard's Tail a tech or a crystal?
    • What is Battle Forged? Is there a website that lists these special techs and what they do?
    • How do I find out the starting point to some of the quests listed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kritterly View Post

• Does Piercing Wing work just like any other tech or is it more of a “kit” like armor dye?
      It's a tech kit, and has to be made separately from the scale. Make the wing scale with the two techs you want on it, then make the piercing winds kit -it'll appear in your inventory as a separate item that you can drag/drop on the wing scales.
      Unfortunately it can only go on the head scale.
      It's a scale you get from a quest, though I can't recall what the name of the quest was >.> *Will look that up*
    • What is Battle Forged? Is there a website that lists these special techs and what they do?
      It's a tech kit like piercing winds, except it goes on your claw. And yes, there is - http://istariareference.com/, though I don't know if you can find a description of the tech kits, specifically.
    -Saris Stone of Friendship - Blackhammer Farmstead found South West of Delgarath. Talk to the Saris in the bigger building. He's in the first room to your left when you enter the place.
    -Darkstaff's Armor Crystal Fragment - See below I think >.> I believe they're the same quest chain.
    -Restored Darkstaff Armor Crystal - Umm....I think this one is some guy at the Eastern outpost inside that building.
    -Flamestone of Drulkar - Some guy at the Imperial Outpost
    -The Wolf's Bane - Sigrun in Dralnok's Doom starts it

What is Battle Forged? Is there a website that lists these special techs and what they do?
    here's a brief description of the techs The name of each tech kit is in bold** Note, tech kits are created separately from scales, so don't forget to leave room on a scale you wish to apply a tech kit to.
    Sharper - Gives +dps and +to-hit. Applies to all attacks.
    Battle Forged - Gives +dps and +tooth and claw skill. Applies to all attacks.
    Piercing winds - gives +dps to the wings and a -recycle to galewind/spells.
    Razor teeth - gives +dps and +to-hit for bite and some attacks
    Deadly - Gives +dps for the Ravage ability ONLY as well as +to-hit
    Rending - Each melee attack with a claw teched with this has a 15% chance to apply a bleed effect.

Piercing Winds works like any other tech. You make the tech kit and just drag it onto the scale. If the scale has room for a tech, it will apply.

No Razor Teeth only goes on a head scale.

If memory serves me correct, Bard's tail is a tail scale gotten from a quest given by a ghost dragon in a cave near Demon's Peak. (28579, 26417)

Both Darkstaff crystals are from the same quest chain. That starts at the Eastern Outpost.

Flamestone of Drulkar starts with the Imperial Outpost Quests given by Burris, if I'm not mistaken.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Wow, you guys are just amazing. Thank you so much for all the information!

If you are going caster, you will want as much armor as you can get, so use armor base for the scales.

Head - 2 jewelry sockets, 1 open tech slot for Razor Teeth. Use Jewelry crystals of Primal, and either Health or Power.
    Wings - 2 sets
    Combat set - 1 Wing with primal,power,open tech slot for Piercing Winds. The second wing with just Primal, 2 open tech slots for Piercing Winds, Crest of the Blackhammer Clan tech.
    Travel set - primal,speed,velocity. Do not think you will never need the speed tech. Fafnir hunts especially require it, unless you like a lot of dp's. These 2 sets can be easily swapped between with a pair of hotkeys.
    Chest - I would still recommend Primal Vengeance, Eminence, Vital Defiance for a spell caster, as you will use melee while spells are recycling. The point blank spells can proc Primal Vengeance (Gust, Barrage)
    Forelegs - triple sockets on both. this gives you 6 slots for Saris stone of friendship, Darkstaff Armor crystals x2, Health crystal, Resist\Ward crystal for whatever you are fighting, and lastly the Battlemaster's Stone. You can always swap out the health and resist for power and focus in one foreleg, and you will have more of those stats than teching both onto both scales.
    Back - primal, power, open tech slot for Bone Lacing
    Hindlegs, Tail - Primal,Power,Focus.

Bone Lacing comes from a quest you start northeast of Delgarath, north side of that battlefield, just west of the scar. Npcs in that hut across the rope bridge.
    Crest of the Blackhammer clan comes from the Blackhammer Farmstead, which is sw from Delgarath. This is also where Saris Stone of Friendship comes from.
    Piercing Winds and Razor teeth are player crafted techs, which you then drag to apply. So leave tech slots open when crafting the head/wings for these.

Claw - Battleforged + 2 sockets for The Primal Rage, Flamestone of Drulkar. Alternate would be triple sockets, with those 2 crystals and a health or power crystal.

Max out your training points in Primal. Rest probably split between tooth&claw and focus. or power. or health. or evasion. Don't be afraid to experiment, you can move the points around, albeit not all at once.

• Ok, I have both of the Forleg scales finished (since they were the easiest) with 3 armor sockets each, but it will take a little while to gather the proper crystals. I just put in a bunch of junk resist crystals for right now.

• I have the Back and both Hindleg scales currently teched with Tier III (since that is what I had on hand) of Primal, Power, and Focus. I am still collecting the comps for the higher Tier Vs. Since my Head and Tail are completely non-teched, I should probably work on those first and worry about upgrades later when I have more comps.

• So, I am making the headscale tonight. I will only put two jewelry sockets on it, so as to leave room for the Razor Teeth kit later on, right? I bought a crystal last night that has +25 Primal and have another one with +25 Focus (would rather have power, but still looking for it). Those are just as good as what I would have teched, right?

• I almost have enough Tier V comps (by trading old comps to Nadia, hehe) to make the Tail scale. I would like to do the Primal, Power and Focus, but I don’t have the tech for Focus V yet. Can that be purchased from an NPC?

• Ok, I have both of the Forleg scales finished (since they were the easiest) with 3 armor sockets each, but it will take a little while to gather the proper crystals. I just put in a bunch of junk resist crystals for right now.

• I have the Back and both Hindleg scales currently teched with Tier III (since that is what I had on hand) of Primal, Power, and Focus. I am still collecting the comps for the higher Tier Vs. Since my Head and Tail are completely non-teched, I should probably work on those first and worry about upgrades later when I have more comps.

• So, I am making the headscale tonight. I will only put two jewelry sockets on it, so as to leave room for the Razor Teeth kit later on, right? I bought a crystal last night that has +25 Primal and have another one with +25 Focus (would rather have power, but still looking for it). Those are just as good as what I would have teched, right?

• I almost have enough Tier V comps (by trading old comps to Nadia, hehe) to make the Tail scale. I would like to do the Primal, Power and Focus, but I don’t have the tech for Focus V yet. Can that be purchased from an NPC?

Both are very nice - keep the Vengeance one (since is attuned) and give the other to my hatchie on Chaos. o.O

Both of those scales can not be made anymore. At least triple teched like they are.

Those scales have legacy techs on them. Keep them. They are no longer obtainable triple tech'd.
    rip

I almost have enough Tier V comps (by trading old comps to Nadia, hehe) to make the Tail scale. I would like to do the Primal, Power and Focus, but I don’t have the tech for Focus V yet. Can that be purchased from an NPC?
    Yes. Port to Aughundel and go right into the building in front of you, and the Quartermaster should be right there.

Are either one of them any good or should I still plan on making a new chest scale?
    Heh, lucky :P

Anyway, for general 'hunting', you can use either of those scales and you'd be very well off, as things won't live long enough for PV to be worth it. However, I would recommend going with the eminence scale for normal things, as nothing will live long enough for PV to be very effective at all. For bosses, use the primal vengeance scale - your hunting group will love you forever and ever if you do.

So, I am making the headscale tonight. I will only put two jewelry sockets on it, so as to leave room for the Razor Teeth kit later on, right? I bought a crystal last night that has +25 Primal and have another one with +25 Focus (would rather have power, but still looking for it). Those are just as good as what I would have teched, right?
    Yes, but crystals at level 100 give +65 in a stat and I think you're...adventure level 70? Crystals at that level should still have a greater stat gain than +25 to a stat - unfortunately I don't know where to find lv70 crystals >.> Until you can get level appropriate crystals, the +25 primal and +25 focus will do. *Apologies if my guess is so far off your actual adv level <.<*

Anyway, for general 'hunting', you can use either of those scales and you'd be very well off, as things won't live long enough for PV to be worth it. However, I would recommend going with the eminence scale for normal things, as nothing will live long enough for PV to be very effective at all. For bosses, use the primal vengeance scale - your hunting group will love you forever and ever if you do.
    Thank you for the great advise Alisto!! You are very helpful!!

You are on the right track. Start out making a scaleset with the lower tier techs, since the comps are easier to get, and it takes less of them. Using the lower crystals is fine for now. You will upgrade them.

Chests are excellent. Triple stun is especially rare, and is likely the best choice for a caster as others have mentioned. PV is good for longer fights against bosses, or against something that cannot be stunned. Getting a scale with defiance will be good for hunts against undead, like Reklar, Elial. You can hotkey the various chest scales, armor dyed for easy identification, and then switch around as the fight requires. Radiant - triple stun. Jasper - Triple PV, Obsidian for the pv,emi,defiance scale Yes, you can dye the scales and claws now which is great. Can even dye them at creation if you know the dye techs. I think a guy in Aughundell sells the weapon dye techs, and Someone in Kion for the Armor dyes.

A very special “Thank You” shoutout to Armageddon for seeking me out in-game and giving me all kinds of these special techniques! I am so super excited to get some of these tech kits put together. Thank you SO very much for the help Arma!!

Thread Information