Thread: Defensive Plan for Beetles & Wolves

Question Defensive Plan for Beetles & Wolves

I was reading a post from several years ago and it said that Giant Ice Beetles and Icy Dire Wolves are the best source for getting hoard at my level. Is this still true today?

I have less than half of the hoard level that I should, so it looks like I am going to be spending a great deal of time hunting these guys. With such a low hoard-armor bonus and not really the best scales, I have to think about forming a really good defensive plan.

I am shopping crystals, potions, exploring biped buffs and I may be able to craft some lower level scales (tier III techs) with the proper defenses. What should I use to protect myself against them… Ice Resistance or Ice Ward?

Also, is there something I can put on my claw that might help fight them better?

Default Re: Defensive Plan for Beetles & Wolves

There has been a loot revamp since that old post you read. You wouldn't find hoard items on animals anymore, semi intelligent mobs and undead are the ones if you want hoard.

As far as what to use on your claw, I recommend deadly tech and don't forget to cast primal attack (buff).

Resists and wards work differently. Resists reduce the damage when you are hit, wards give you a chance to evade the damage completely. As far as which is better, that can depend on who you ask. I suspect the resist might be a more reliable tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracaena View Post
    There has been a loot revamp since that old post you read. You wouldn't find hoard items on animals anymore, semi intelligent mobs and undead are the ones if you want hoard.
    *sigh* That is what I was afraid of...

I am after hoard and forms, so what would you suggest for a level 70 with very little armor support??

Chat with the trophy hunter for target ideas at your level. Just go after the two legged mobs (not golems) if you are hoping for hoard items and forms. I found when I woke up from a long sleep (maybe a year and a half that time) a few years ago I was astounded what my dragon could take down compared to before. If things are a little too rough, find a lower tier version of what you are hunting until you get stronger. Don't forget to pester the dragon ability trainers for work too, including drain bolt trainer outside of Kirasant who is easy to miss.

If you can handle them I would advise the flame pygmies in northern dralk or fire pygmies/ogres further west for forms and some hoard or the undead near the tower of nature.
    For slightly lower undead I would say the northern deadlands. Or if they are still their there's the ice blights at the trandalar glacier. The place to the north not the southern icy road.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    If you can handle them I would advise the flame pygmies in northern dralk or fire pygmies/ogres further west for forms and some hoard or the undead near the tower of nature.
    For slightly lower undead I would say the northern deadlands. Or if they are still their there's the ice blights at the trandalar glacier. The place to the north not the southern icy road.

Hope that helps
    Thank you very much, I will try some of those out.

Thread Information