Thread: Question on "Civil Unrest"

WitchyPooh

Default Question on "Civil Unrest"

Did anyone else have a problem with the "Civil Unrest" quest? I had the whole thing completed except for talking to the guy in Mahagra, since, obviously, I could not find him. After the name-fix with Tuesday's patch, my quest was no longer there. Now I have to do the whole thing over again.

Before I do that, has anyone completed this quest and remember what the reward was?

Ssazzy - lvl12 Druid
    Kalaman - lvl10 Warrior

Drunkenmonkey

Default Re: Question on "Civil Unrest"

i cant remember what the reward was but i remember it wasnt worth all the porting about

I still haven't found the guys in the Feladan-in-exile. I looked all over Feladan and couldn't find them :-/

Drunkenmonkey

thats because your looking around feladan not feladan in exile, dont worry i made the same mistake.
    feladan in exile is actually in taz, off the top of my head you port to taz west and its west of the pad

Oh thanks!

Jaz :)

I did this quest a long long time ago. All I got was 500c. NO XP.
    I dont know if they changed this, but I was pissed. I worked on the quest for like a day a half, running around trying to fin people, and yes, I looked in Feledan as well. Oh boy, I was PO'd.
    Maybe they changed the reward, I dont know.
    But, do you think 500c will be worth it?

Calinor

Yeah the reward sucks. I like the quest though as it sends you to all the racial cities.

the reward may suck but think of all those nice towns you visited.
    I think it is more for people who do not know the land.

If you do know the land, might as well wait until you are in these towns, anyway to speak to the people...

Shaw el Shadai Moking
    'Coming at ya...like a spring!'

<nods> it is only 500c as a reward...

I actually did the quest as an aside while I was working on another set of quests and collecting tech comps. There's no real time limit to the quest.
    Gliding Frost
    Dark Defenders
    Adult May 16, 2004
    Ancient October 2005

Hello, if anyone would still have problems with this quest, I found an old tazoon post which explains the whole quest. I hope it comes in handy. Here it is.

An event that develops the course of our daily history here in Istaria is Civil Unrest[/b]. It is an information gathering quest given by Ambassador Cauncy who can be found standing in the garden that is located next to the Stargate closest to our Tazoon
    Guild Hall. Here is a rundown of what you will learn on this walkabout quest.

I stumbled upon Ambassador Chauncy one fine day standing in the big, gated garden located next to the Western Portal in Tazoon. He looked rather bewildered and frustrated, to say the least, so I stopped to pass the time of day. Did I ever get an earful!

?Greetings!? he exclaimed with an over-exaggerated wave. ?I hope you are having a pleasant day and that you are finding everything you are after here in gorgeous Tazoon! (As if anyone ever finds what they want in Tazoon!?editor) I wish I could find everything I?m after myself . . . .*sigh*? I mumbled a few things about just passing through when he cut me off, not hearing a word I had said.

?You see,? he continued confidentially, ?I have recently been appointed Ambassador to the Outlying cities of Istaria. The problem is, well ? I . . . . well, I fibbed a bit to get the position, shall we say?? He winked at me with a chagrined expression. ?I am not at all knowledgeable about the cities and their people. And now they have given me this poll to conduct, directing me to travel throughout the lands to gather the information!? He ran his hands through his hair in a frantic gesture.

?You ought to meet a guildmate of mine.? I told him. ?She is a Saris of great renown and our Ambassador of Good will. She knows everybody. Her . . . .?

?I have no time for that!? He cut me off testily. ?This needed to be done yesterday and I can't even figure out how to use a travel gate (!) for Istaria?s sake! Do you think you could bail me out? I?ll make it worth your while.?

Since I had nothing better to do, and I was getting awfully tired of crafting and hoarding for the moment, I told him that I would be happy to conduct his survey for him. I tried to suggest that I would just accompany him and show him the way, but he kept sliding away from that solution. In the end, I decided to go ahead and do it on my own.

?Fantastic!? He exalted. ?Here, take this list of names; these are the people you will need to speak with in the various towns. I?m sure that it?ll be no problem for someone like you. I?ll be waiting here for the results.? Then he happily lay down on the soft grass and began to doze off. ?Farewell.? He mumbled as I left the garden.

I was quite a list he gave me. I had to see some elves in Feladan in Exile, assorted folks in Dalimond, Chiconis, Dralk, Kion, Kirasanct, Mahagra, New Rachival, and Aughendall. Then I read the question I had to ask each one. It was asking if that person thought there was strife, tension, or unrest among the races of Istaria. What a foolish question, I thought. Isn?t it obvious that everybody doesn?t get along? That?s why I am so glad to have found our Guild of Elder Spirits ? because that tension is muted and mitigated by the mutual goals of our fellowship. Too bad the rest of Istaria can?t follow our example. But, we try!

Anyway, I decided to start with the Elves, since they were just around the corner. Of course, I was lost and Carlito pointed me in the right direction. I really do NOT like going to the Elven outpost there in Tazoon. They can be so touchy and rude. Out of the Elves with whom I had to speak, only one showed any courtesy. After being allowed admittance by the guards at the front gate, I located Combat Instructor Brilthor of the Elvish military. When I posed the question to him he stopped the demonstration he was giving to two recruits and said,

?Yes. There is indeed hostility among the Living Races. You cannot deny that the Gnomes hold a solid grudge against us, the Elven people. They blame us for not coming to their aid, but what could we do? Do they think that we do not understand their pain? It is a hostile undercurrent in our dealings that, if fear, may never entirely leave.? The he mumbled something about hoping that it doesn?t all lead to the final demise of Istaria. But his ruminations were rudely interrupted by the two recruits who displayed an appalling attitude of disrespect.

?Hey Gerlick! Look! It?s another tourist. Don?t interrupt us, lizard; we are trying to see who can keep a straight face longer while listening to Brilthor ramble on ? and I?m winning!?

?What?s that, Traya? Eh-Oh! Go away, would you? I?m trying to get trained here and battling the demon of lag is bad enough without old Brilthor blowing a gasket on top of that! Heheheh.? Brilthor just shook his head thoughtfully, eyeing the recruits dubiously, waving me on my way after asking me if that was all.

I made a note of his response and then went looking for the next person on my list, which was Protector Maika. Maika gave me a rather fatalistic answer,

?Conflict? There will always be conflict. It?s the way of people. Whenever there are differences, there will be those who fight against them due to misunderstanding or fear. It is not my job to ponder why these things occur; I simply know that they do, and accept it as a part of life.?
    Then Maika shooed me off with admonitions to not bother him with useless ponderings. So I turned to his companion, Protector Tran, who ignored my question entirely (turns out he wasn?t on my list anyway) and officiously informed me that I was an uninvited quest and that I had better be careful! He ushered me up to Seneschal Allambe and instructed me to get a visitor?s pass before wandering around anymore.

Allambe was even more testy. He acted like I had a bad smell or something ? since when is musty cinnamon a bad smell? Anyway, he just about ripped my head off saying,

?What do you want? Can?t you see that I?m busy!? Honestly, you gawkers come strolling in here, bold as you please, every hour on the hour of e-ver-y day! Does it look like I have time to deal with you?! Do you even remotely comprehend the sheaves of paperwork I have to go through everyday just because of lazy layabouts like you? Why, I do not know how many passes I?ve given out just this week alone!?

?But, I?m not gawking, Mister Seneschal Sir. I am here on official business of the Empire for Ambassador Chauncy.? I told him. Allambe snorted derisively at the Ambassador?s name. ?But if it is procedure, then ? may I have a visitor?s pass please? I didn?t mean to intrude or anything that is wrong like that. But I do have to find these people and ask them a very important question. The fate of Istaria itself may depend on the answers I receive.?

?Oh no. No No No! I am NOT going to allow you to just come waltzing in here, claiming to be on Imperial business, and expecting a pass just like *That!*? and he snapped his fingers in my face! He was so into his tirade that he didn?t even notice my tail twitching angrily or the faint wisps of smoke curling from my nostrils. He?s lucky that I have a lot of self control. I do believe that he would have tasted very good with ketchup! (He reminded me so much of the Wee Quirk of the Rhubarb Patch ? but that?s another story for later.) He continued to roll right along, saying,

?If you want a pass, you will have to prove yourself worth the trouble. In order to do that you must save me some time. It takes precious minutes to get someone like you situated in Feladan-in-Exile, you know. So, I want you to go speak with Lorant, the Carpenter Trainer in Dalimond! I?m tired of wasting my time with him. And no, you may not speak with Veteran Olkeyr. You can do that after you have run my errand and received your pass. Now, get going. You are wasting time!?

Well, since I had to go to Dalimond anyway, I wasn?t too upset about the side errand. But that Elf was so rude he made me very angry. I left as quickly as I could and in a short while I reached the city of Dalimond. The first person I looked up was this Carpenter Trainer, Lorant (22872/22687). It seems he didn?t think much of Seneschal Allambe and his order for him to return to Feladan-in-Exile at once and report for military duty. He flat out refused, claiming to be of better use practicing his trade. And told me to go back to the old fool and tell him so. Great, I may never get to talk to the old Veteran at this rate. Ah, well, I went to look for the other folk on my list.

First, I found the Gnome, Gangaf (22781/22801). He was very much in his own ?little? world of tinkering as demonstrated by his response. In a nasal squeak he said, ?Racial conflict? Nonsense! People of all races and creeds come to aide me with my spectacular creation 11180! How can there possibly be conflict, I ask you?? I eyed his spectacular creation warily. From what I could see of it, it reminded me very much of Renaa?s Project X! (*shudder*) Maybe Carlito ought to go check it out. He has had much more experience with these mechanical creations than I.

From Gangaf?s shop I went to the shop of the Elf Meklin Vandus (22859/22726). He was nicer that the ones in Tazoon. He was quite talkative. He told me the following, ?Come to ask the Opinion of the Confederation, have you?? (What is the Confederation? Us? -- editor) ?We are doing fine in Dalimond. There?s no animosity displayed between our visitors that I have noticed . . . well, except perhaps between the Sslik and the Humans, but I may have imagined that. Sslik have an odd culture in any case. Regardless, they all aid the Empire as best they can, which is all anyone can ask, don?t you think?? He would have talked forever if I had been inclined to dawdle, so I quickly asked him if he knew the way to Onye Kutima?s shop (22830/22780). He told me where to go. It is located across the street from Gangaf?s place! I thanked him very much for his help and excused myself.

The Human Onye was rather cynical, if you ask me. With a bitter shrug he growled, ?Everyone?s out for themselves these days. The Empire?s dream of a unified front against the Withered Aegis is just that ? a dream! The reality is that no one really cares about the long term. Humans, Fiends, Gnomes, Dragons, you name it . . . they care about their own hides ? first and foremost. Mark my words. You will see that I am right.? I must admit that I he may have a point. I have heard a number of Dragon?s who sound like he has described ? usually of the Lunus persuasion. Hmmmmm. I made a note of his and the other observations made by the Elf and Gnome. I had heard from other harried travelers in Dalimond that the demon of Lag was laying siege to Tazoon at that time, so I decided to go the great Dwarven City of Aughendall instead.

It is lucky that I like exploring caverns, because I had to wander quite a bit to find the folk in the Dwarven city with whom I had to speak. There I found the each individual had a different take on the situation, depending on their own personality. I first spoke to a friendly dwarf whose name is Daggle Ironshaper who has a smithy set up just inside of the Craft Cavern. When I asked him what he thought, he stroked his beard thoughtfully and rumbled,

?What do I think about the races an? all? Well, I admit that some Elves an? Gnomes give me th? cold shoulder at times, but then, I?m not th? most charmin? of individuals, if you catch my meanin.? *winks at me* Us Dwarves aren?t angry with anyone, as far as I hear tell ? we?re all in this together after all. Wouldn?t you agree?? We shared a rueful chuckle over that observation and, when asked, he directed me to Olstas Buradach.

Though there was nothing wrong with his directions, I became lost and wandered quite a while before I found the old warrior deep in the bowels of the earth. He must have been the model for the image of Dwarves being grumpy and taciturn. I would hate to see him and Seneschal Allambe in the same room! He glared at me so balefully that I could hardly stammer out my question. Stomping his feet impatiently, he snarled his answer.

?How are we dealing with it? By ourselves, that?s how! I haven?t met an Elf or a Gnome that will give me the time of day! I hear that propaganda spewing from Tazoon about how the Living Races are supposed to stand together against this threat, but the only people I see looking after the Dwarves are other Dwarves, and that?s the truth. Now, don?t bother me with any more stupid questions.? With that, he turned his back on me in dismissal.

The last person I had to see was Tannil Underig who was a bit of a gossip, if you ask me. He stopped his work and confided, ?You want to know what I think, hummm? Well, there?s talk of . . . this is just a rumor mind you . . . but I?ve heard that the Gnomes are plotting to break away from the Empire.? He nodded knowingly. ?And with the tinkering knowledge they have ? well, there?s no telling what they could do . . . . I just hope that it doesn?t get into the hands of the Withered Aegis like that horrid Project X!? He had other theories and rumors, but they were just too wild to give any credence to them.

After listening for a short while I bade him farewell. I was in the need of conversation with my own kind to help me sort all of the conflicting thoughts arguing in my head, so I headed for Chiconis to speak with the Dragons on my list. I had met one before, another hatchling by the name of Narlagor (24205/21941), a Red Dragon who seems as unworldly as I must seem to some. When I approached him, he was all a fluster, surprised that anyone would want his opinion.

?You?re asking my opinion?! Really?! Oh, Ah-hem . . .? he coughed, ruffling his pinions nervously, ?Well, from what [I have seen around here, the Dragons I know are dedicated to getting rid of this threat once and for all. There is no animosity there . . . I mean, sure, there?s some superiority expressed ? we are dealing with bi-peds after all ? but really, this is a threat to everyone!?

I agreed with him but thought privately that he must not associate with any Lunus Dragons, or he wouldn?t sound quite so confident. I must admit that I worry about the Lunus and their grievance against the humans for the destruction of the monument that caused us dragons to stop maturing to adulthood. Because of that act, we now have to go through the rite of Passage. Granted, that act alone could have led to our extinction, but I really do not believe that it was intentional. And all races have done something that has endangered another. Let bygones be bygones, I say, and let us heal the rifts and save Istaria! In doing so, we will save ourselves.

But I digress. I then found Keori (24348/21959), an adult Dragon of the Helian school. He listened patiently to my question and then pontificated philosophically, ?Strife? Amongst the Living Races? Of course, there?s going to be conflict . . . they are like ants, really. All we can hope to do is guide them on the proper path to ending the threat of the Withered Aegis. You can?t tell a river where to go but with the proper planning and gentle guidance, you may be able to change its course.?

How encouraging. *sarcastic monotone* I hope that I do not grow up sounding like HIM even though I will follow the Helian school, he is just way out there! Ants indeed, as if the bi-peds possess no brain or worth. How can we survive thinking that way?

I shuddered at the thought of going to Dralk with my question. I found little satisfaction in Chiconis and I feared the sometimes blind rage of the Lunus warriors. They often strike first?ask questions later. I know that I am of the Gifted, but it would be humiliating to die at the claws of a fellow dragon. So, screwing up my courage, I went to Dralk. My concerns were well founded. I?m lucky that I am a hatchling. If I had been an adult, I think that Vrylliak (22497/28917), a huge adult Dragon would have torn me to shreds for the audacity of my question. He sneered, muttering that I had better choose wisely, when I finally deserved to go through the Rite of Passage, if I knew what was good for me. The gist of his comments ran in this manner,
    ?Of course there is conflict, you fool! Open your eyes! We dragons war against ourselves. The Fiends and Humans are standing on the Brink of their own battle. There are grudges amongst the others that have never been cleared! That is why relying on the Empire alone to defeat the Withered Aegis is the idiot?s way! WE will do what needs to be done! Pity those who stand in our way!?

He was so angry at the thought that his tail thrashed wildly and he was dripping flame. I left as quickly as I could without appearing to be impolite. The other Dragon on my list was in a secluded spot down below the floating island with his back turned to the world. Umbelroth (22575/29040) is his name. Without looking at me, he gave this answer,

?You wish to know what I think? I say it does . . . not . . . matter. The bi-peds will fritter their lives away on pointless errands (I cannot believe that you, a Dragon, are even doing this for them) and ridiculous infighting while we, the Lunus, take control of Istaria away from the undead and put it into the proper hands ? ours! I see that you have yet to go through the Rite of Passage, Hatchling. Choose carefully with which side you align yourself ? for your life and the life of Istaria hang in the balance.? Sheesh! How many dark threats can a fellow take in one day?

I excused myself from his presence, backing away carefully so as not to upset him, hightailed it to the portal and went to Kion. I must admit, I so much prefer the company of the Saris. I needed a soothing break from all of the underlying hostility to which I have unwittingly exposed myself.
    In Kion, I quickly located Sethos Bakari (20317/24549) who purred softly while listening to my question. Twitching an ear, he said in a soft voice,

?When ways of life are threatened, there is bound to be conflict between those who would be friends. We are relatively safe here on Lessor Andaroth, but the Withered Aegis represents a frightening possibility: that the Istaria we know may one day no longer exist. You cannot blame people for reacting to that fear. But, you can suggest a better method of dealing with it. Perhaps you should share that with the Ambassador.? When I asked for clarification, he just nodded sagely and said that If I had eyes, let me then see and stuff like that. I do not think Ambassador Chauncy will be able to use that observation.

After wandering around a bit, exploring the sights of Kion, I finally located Amenai Gauzir (20460/24527) in his smithy. Wiping his hands on his leather apron, he listened to my question impatiently. ?Do the races on Greater Ansaroth squabble? I?m sorry, Sir Dragon, but I haven?t been abroad lately; I?ve been stuck by the forge (helping hatchlings with their hoard, and such). I can tell you that the Saris and the Sslik get along as they always have: Well and peaceably. I have no quarrel with the others who come through Kion, and I see no reason to act otherwise. Is there anything else you need ? something tasty for your hoard maybe? If not I must get back to work.?

I left his shop munching on an iron shield ? he pointed out that the iron helps to give my scales their rich blue color. Checking my list, I saw that I still needed to go to Kirasanct, Mahagra, Sslanis, and New Rachival before heading back to Tazoon and Senesachal Allambe. I decided on Kirasanct first, I would look up the two people and then do some crafting. I wandered around that huge building in Kirasanct trying to get directions to Ikeli Endbaugh (32873/28049). Turns out I had missed him ? he was standing off to the side of the ramp going down to the shrine. He was a Fiend who really did not care if the Living Races united or not, HE was not going to be forced to be gracious to humans by anyone or any need. He said haughtily,

?The races are only treated as they are due. There is no reason for me to welcome a Human into my home after what their ancestors did to mine. We Fiends need rely on no one to progress into the next age and stave off the darkness in our own right, and that is the simple truth of the matter.?

Now Kyriani the Quick (23862/28072) was a Fiend who exhibited a moderated passion. She chooses to reserve her friendship or dislike for those who have earned her response through their actions. She digested the question and my report of Ikeli?s universal dislike of all humans ? I explained that I was still trying to understand the Fiendish mind because the Fiends with whom I associate act like they despise everyone and everything not Fiendish, yet their actions prove otherwise, and I was wondering if this was true of Ikeli as well. She shook her head regretfully and told me that his deed do match his words. For herself, on the other hand, she said,

?I?m afraid that I don?t socialize much with travelers through these lands, so I honestly cannot answer your question reliably regarding the larger picture. For myself, everyone should be judged on their own merits, that?s what I believe: race has little to do with it.?

From Kirasanct, I decided to head for Mahagra instead of crafting ? since I was already chilled to the bone (I HATE the cold *brrrrrr!*) and I had far too much to think about. I would probably mess up my jewels and shards and I didn?t want to do that. I had to wander around quite a bit in Mahagra. It was cold, my feet ached and no one seemed to know where the people were who were on my little list. I finally located Saydra Strong-Arm. I was so lost by the time I located him, I still do not know where I found him! (He is a HIM, isn't he?) He was not at all interested in anything political ? unnecessary was his word for it. With a shrug and dismissive wave of the hand he said,

?Emnity between the races? I?m sure that I don?t know. The people I see this far north are normally set upon their own tasks and have little time to speak to me of politics ? even if I cared to ask ? which I don?t!? But he did seem interested in the fact that there were more adult dragons around and wished me luck on my future Rite of Passage. He knew where I could find Ghald[/b] Kjadax.

?He is always standing guard on the road leading out of town. He is a quiet fellow by mighty in arms.?

I found Ghald Kajidax[/b](23725/30378) standing vigil as Saydra said I would. He was a giant of a man, proud and stern. He could have been the son of a Thunder God! But, he did respond ? and with a warrior?s answer,

?Racial Tension? Up here? That?s crazy talk! We all get along fine up here?every one of us! Who wants to be fighting your brother when there are better targets to the East, that?s what I would like to know!? and the light of battle shone in his eyes so brightly, that I told myself to keep an ear tuned for this one?s name in the future. He has the same Heroic qualities as Carlito Juarez.

I was now so cold, that I wanted nothing more than to go somewhere hot and steamy. That meant the jungles of Sslanis. With great anticipation I hurried to the Stargate and ported to the Sslik town of Sslanis, where the heady smells and welcome heat wrapped me in a warm embrace. I wallowed in the sensation for a few moments before starting my search for the folk on my list. There are a lot of buildings here. I was just hoping that I wouldn?t have to look in every one of them before finishing. Well, I looked through half of them before finding the Alchemist, Zhessix the Singed(19792/21694), a Sslik male who seemed to be in a state of constant agitation.

?Who has time to be pondering the relationships of the races?? He demanded irritably. ?I Don?t! That?s not what I get paid for. I?m just an alchemist! Patrons are Patrons, no matter what race they are. Look ? I?m busy, so could you go harass someone with more time and safer environs??
    Then he turned back to mixing a concoction he had mixing when I first entered his shop.

I then had to search all of the remaining building to find the second name on my list. And it turns out Ssthat the Elder (19913/21520)was not inside, anywhere. Instead, I found him standing on the wall of the city looking out toward the Shrine. I found him purely by accident. He was an ancient Sslik, who spoke softly.

?The Sslik remember in their hearts the wrongs done us by the other races in times long past. The stories of persecution have been passed down from generation to generation . . . Do we act on such thing? No. Our friends and neighbors ? the Saris ? counsel caution and enlightenment.? He then stopped speaking for a long pause, and I thought he was finished. I was just starting to turn away and work my way back up the hill to the high road, when he continued,

?They perhaps do not understand the fierce hearts that beat within our chests, but for now, we are being cautious. I cannot speak for the future.? His words caused a shiver of dread to run along my spine. I hoped fervently that the Saris counsel would be kept for a LONG time. I slipped away quietly, leaving him to his ruminations.

The penultimate stop was New Rachival. When I stepped off of the portal pad, I was amazed at how much the geography looked like that of Tazoon. Imagine my chagrin when I realized it was on the outskirts of the Capitol! I was fascinated by this city of the Gnomes. Machines and Contraptions everywhere! It was even a little spooky, especially since I had just recently helped to fight Project X and I felt just a little uncomfortable. As I was exploring, looking for the people on my list, I was fortunate enough to meet one of the well known names among the Gifted, the War-leader Khao, of the Souless Immortals. I did not know that he was a Fiend and this realization shed a new light on some of the tales I have heard. It was an honor to meet him at last.

After exchanging a few plesantries with Khao, I finally found my first Gnome, Marran Gizmogrinder (23147/25577) on the second level of the Complex, tinkering away. She reminded me of our Goddess of Crafting ? Renaa. Looking up from her work, she answered,

?Well sure, there?s bound to be someone rubbing someone else the wrong way. Look at the Elves, for example. Now, I?ve no business saying this, rightly, but it is just not fair! Petitioning the Empire for aid in freeing their city from the Withered Aegis while our own city still lies in ruins! They didn?t help US when we fell, and it looks like nothing has changed . . . .? She continued on in this vein for some time, clanging her tools to emphasize her points. I could see that the perceived abandonment of New Rachival by the Elves still rankeled the Gnomes if she was typical of her people.

Well, if I thought she was upset, I had a rude awakening when I finally found Bixben Sallamaster (23125/25522) out in the desert looking at a huge, ruined mechanical thingy! He made Gizmogrinder look like a well reasoned Saris in comparison! With tears of loss and outrage he cried,

?Of course there?s tension between the races, you moron! And good reason for it, too! Where were the mighty OTHER Living Races of Istaria when Rachival fell? Hummmmm? Eh! They were at home by roaring fires, telling jokes and having feasts while my people DIED at the hands of the Withered Aegis! That?s just not something you turn around and forgive, I?ll have you know!? It didn?t matter to him that everyone had lost loved ones to the Aegis; that everyone had experienced some form of abandonment, intended or not. But the only pain he could feel was his own.

I left him to his weeping and cursing to make the very short hop to the Elven outpost in Tazoon. I had to deliver the message to Allambe, and then I could talk to the last Elf and turn in my report to the Ambassador. I was looking forward to being done with task and getting back to my guildmates. I had to be reminded that there really is hope for Istaria. But my expectation of a rapid completion of my quest was thwarted by the Seneschal. He accepted Lorant?s refusal more calmly than I had expected, but he refused to give me a Visitor?s Pass. Instead, he told me to take an order for Bows to Lorant, and not to come back until the order was filled. Beginning to understand some of the Gnomes animosity towards the Elves and their superior attitudes, I turned around, slogged through the lag to the Stargate and ported back to Dalimond. There, Lorant welcomed me with refreshment and kind words. He understood my frustration ? that was why he had left Tazoon and relocated in Dalimond, after all. He happened to have the requisite number of Bows already on hand, suspecting that Allambe might pull a trick like this, and sent me on my way.

With no further obstacles in my path and Allambe?s Visitor?s Pass in my possession, I was directed to Old Olkeyr the Vetran (23541/25118) over in the second building next door to the building where Senechal Allambe held court. He was gracious, reminding me again of Carlito, and answered my question simply.

?Of course there is enmity brewing under the surface of some people. You have to be blind to miss it. The Gnomes hate us for not coming when they fell (and we should have). And we, consciously or not, blame the Dwarves for not saving our fair city when they may have. It is all based on might-have-beens, and dwelling on such things will only impede our efforts.? We spoke a while longer.

When I left, I was hoping that more Elves were of his and Lorant?s temperament rather than of the temper I experienced at the hands of the guards and Senechal Allambe. If so, there was hope yet for the rest of us. I then headed for the park, hoping to find the Ambassador there. I had nothing to fear. I found him resting in the shade. I had to tickle him under the nose before he woke up. When he did, I handed him my report. Praising my efforts effusively, he gave me 500 coppers and then sent me away with his unnumbered thanks. Lazy Twit. I had no desire to listen to his empty words. If our security depends on his likes, we were doomed! But, there was plenty for all of us to do, as long as we care to do it, and Istaria will survive in spite of the Twits. I then headed for the great dome to locate a dragon about a new Dimensional Pouch.

Thread Information