Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Map Pack 3.7

Default Re: Map Pack 3.7

A very good job again
    Thank you so much for all your hard work!

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    It looks amazing I must say. I have 2 questions and one comment.
    Question One: I had the map pack years ago but when the game patched it got wiped and I got tired of reinstalling it. Will this still happen?
    Question Two: Will installing it remove the markers I have placed on my maps myself?
    And the comment: How about working on a good icon mod. The old one isn't so hot and I can not get it to work anymore. Not at all.
    If anyone is having problem 1 above, make sure you read all the instructions very carefully. There are two files which require to be set as read-only (clientprefs_common in the prefs folder, and resourcemeta in the resources folder, I think). Once you have edited the first pref file to direct the maps to be sourced from the resource_override folder, you can put it as read-only. This will stop the patcher from being able to override the file and should never have this issue.

The instructions are very detailed, almost to the point of being too long but in simple terms, unpack/unzip the mappack to your Istaria folder; the files and folders will unpack into their respective locations in the resources and resource_override folders. Then simply change the clientprefs_common file to point the map directory to the resources_override folder and set it and the resourcesmeta file to read-only. That's it, no other secret tips.

Question 2 is also addressed on the mappack instructions page, and no, it has never overridden your own makers.

When you say icon mod, do you mean for the mappack or for hotkeys? Because they are two very different beasts. But in either case, I'm a little lost when you say "the old one isn't so hot"... The icons for the mappack are vast a detailed and have been updated many times over I believe. So once you've given V3.7 a run, perhaps you might have some suggestions on where improvements can be made.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

It looks amazing I must say. I have 2 questions and one comment.
    Question One: I had the map pack years ago but when the game patched it got wiped and I got tired of reinstalling it. Will this still happen?
    Question Two: Will installing it remove the markers I have placed on my maps myself?
    And the comment: How about working on a good icon mod. The old one isn't so hot and I can not get it to work anymore. Not at all.

Map Pack 3.5 would've been the version from years ago. That was a bit tricky to set the read only permission to prevent the patcher from 'breaking it'. It had a file called UIMapWindow.def buried deep in the resources folder. If you didn't set that read only permission, manually, then the patcher would overwrite the file and break it.

3.6 and 3.7 only requires read only permission to be set the the /resources/resourcemeta.def file. The .zip files actually already includes this file and has read only permission set in the actual zip. So when you extract it, it should extract with the read only permission already set; thus requiring absolutely no action from you.

Quote Originally Posted by hallucin8 View Post
    There are two files which require to be set as read-only (clientprefs_common in the prefs folder, and resourcemeta in the resources folder, I think).
    I would actually discourage from setting read only permission to the /prefs/Clientprefs_common.def file. The patcher ignores the /prefs folder, so it would never undo anything in this folder anyways. This file is where some of the game settings are stored. I am not sure if setting the read only permission to this file would deny the game from accessing and writing to this file when needed. Settings such as if Master volume settings, simple combat messages, display floating name, useLoadingScreen, etc.

I do recall at one point there was instructions floating around that said to set the permission to clientprefs_common.def , so it probably wouldn't hurt, I just wouldn't recommend it as it isn't necessary and a chance it could cause some settings in game not to be saved correctly. I'm just not sure if the game would be able to edit this file correctly with the permission set.

How about working on a good icon mod. The old one isn't so hot and I can not get it to work anymore. Not at all.

I don't use the icon mod, never have. But I did download it, and it works just fine for me (screenshot). I unzipped it to the game folder and had resources_override/interface/icons . I have difficulty editting small icons like that, so thats not a project I'd embark on. Terao is the image guy, so...

I'm wondering if you still have the left over files from map pack 3.5 from years ago thats maybe conflict with it (assuming you have never had to reinstall windows or the game from the last time ou used 3.5? Maybe you should make a back up of your resources_override folder and then totally delete everything in the folder and start with a clean folder. Then try unzipping the icon mod back to the game folder (You should have /resources_override/interface/icons ). Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Working on a icon pack is not something I want to do. I keep working on the Map Pack, I may improve some of the icons in the future used for it. The Map Pack uses about 500 icons, not something that is redone within few hours.
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

Aw, too bad. Too many icons in this game look so similar it's hard to identify them: the nature spell icons for example. And the icon pack hasn't got enough to help with that since many of those look similar as well and don't lend themselves to.. never mind. Oh well.
    Cixi
    Gnome Extraordinaire
    FREE RACHIVAL NOW!!!
    Join the GLF! *Gnome Liberation Front

aww *wipes a tear away* haven't noticed my name on the download page until now
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

Kida

I just had a great idea for the map pack, but I'm not sure if you guys would want to implement it. :P Let me elaborate and see if the workload is reasonable, and we can go from there, haha.

Basically, my idea was: A new set of markers (as in, a button on the side of the map) for Construction/Lairshaping work. Obviously, this would change with new plots/lairs popping up and old ones disappearing, but I figured others can update on the status of these markers as they run into them. There would also have to be separate buttons for Chaos and Order... I figured this feature would be handy, as I see a lot of players ask (both here on the forums and in chat) for plots/lairs that they can contribute to.

Honestly, I think this list of construction work would be better on a site rather than the map pack itself (I was thinking more along the lines of the searchable map that's on istariareference), since it has a bit of upkeep to go along with it. I would make the site if I had the time and knowhow. :P Since I frequent the Chaos server, I would be happy to document any plots that are looking for public construction work.. If I can get a character leveled on Order, I can make a list for there as well.

This is just an idea, of course! And like I said, I don't know if it would be best to include it in the map pack (I just don't know where else to post my idea lol), but I figured I'd bring it up anyway. c:

@ Kida - I've tried doing classifieds before and took them down after a year, due to lack of interest (maybe 10-20 posts during an entire year).
    They actually still exist, I just removed the link to them, but it is/was at http://istariareference.com/classifieds . It covered Construction jobs, WTB, WTS, etc. While classifieds is totally different from what you're saying, I predict the outcome would be the same, lack of interest. I just don't forsee they would be used very much, whether on a classifieds page or as markers on the searchable map. Normally that idea might make me say, hmmm interesting; but my experience shows it wouldn't be worth it. I don't even see people posting construction jobs on these forums either.

Putting them on map pack itself definitely wouldn't work. The buttons are maxed out now (can not add anymore), plus the updates aren't quick enough to keep up with construction jobs.

If you're finding quite a bit of construction jobs, then perhaps I could reinstate the classifieds, shrug. If curious how it used to look like, look at http://istariareference.com/index2.asp Scroll down almost to bottom (below "Resources Quick Reference"), look for Classifieds...
    Last edited by Cegaiel; September 21st, 2013 at 01:08 AM.

The map of the Fiery Rift is working, markers will follow within the next days, the next update will be available soon

Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

New update pushed, which includes the Fiery Map update, as well as other changes relevant to last game patch ( and other minor things ). As always, Enjoy

http://istariareference.com/mappack....3#update-notes

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    New update pushed, which includes the Fiery Map update, as well as other changes relevant to last game patch ( and other minor things ). As always, Enjoy

http://istariareference.com/mappack....3#update-notes
    you don't need me anymore... *snif...*
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

yaaaaay.....thanks, guys!
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and extra-tasty dipped in ketchup.

The introduction of Blight Delta 252 which now includes Pets, has caused the "Your are here" marker to disappear for Map Pack users, when logging into the Blight Server/Patch.

Thanks to Terao for updating the necessary files, there is now a FIX to the the latest blight server/patch for map pack users. This is not a Live Map Pack update, but simply a quick fix so that map pack users can test out the latest Blight Update without losing some of the map pack icons.

In case you did not realize, the Blight patch now include two new markers. There is now a new Pet Marker and a new Cargo Disk marker.

See below image... The top icon in green, shows what a parked Cargo disk marker will display as. The bottom marker in green is how your Pet will display on the map. Both of these markers are NOT from map pack, but included in the genuine map included in the game. I just simply wanted to point that out if you did not notice that already. Previously the cargo disk was a simple white dot on the map. And of course previously there was no Pet marker at all.

To encourage map pack users to test the latest Blight patch, we have a fix that is compatible (and backwards compatible - ie you are logging in to a non blight server, but still have this fix installed, it will cause no conflicts). So map pack users who wish to test Blight before the Next Official map pack update, please download and apply this update. Unzip to your main Istaria folder (Likely C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria). Applying this update, you will see the new cargo and pet marker icons and not lose the 'Your are here' icons.

Download:
    Download Map Pack 3.7 Blight Patch Fix (Delta 252)

As a bonus to downloading this fix, you will also receive all marker updates submitted since the last map pack update So this is like a map pack update, but not officially ^_^
    Last edited by Cegaiel; November 24th, 2013 at 04:45 AM.

If I wanted to only update the ingame terrain maps, skip all the mapmarkers (prefer my own, these are too much clutter), would I just copy the terrain subfolders?

I currently use the mappacks made for dralnoks doom, rift, isles of battle only, which edited a clientprefs_common file to point to resources override rather than the resourcemeta.def. Do I need to undo that change and use the resourcemeta.def?

Easiest would be, download the map pack, install it following the instructions. And then edit the subfolders, for example:
    Ashlandar subfolder contains:

• [terrain]
    • map.def
    • map_ashlandar_character.def
    • map_ashlandar_city.def
    • map_ashlandar_crafting.def
    • map_ashlandar_groupmember.def
    • map_ashlandar_interest.def
    • map_ashlandar_monster.def
    • map_ashlandar_npc.def
    • map_ashlandar_npcs.def
    • map_ashlandar_players.def
    • map_ashlandar_resource.def
    • map_ashlandar_terrain.def
    • map_ashlandar_travel.def

This is the same for all subfolders, except the istaria folder as it contains some more marker files. Go edit the following .def files and empty them from their content:
    _crafting.def
    _interest.def
    _monster.def
    _npcs.def (be careful, not _npc.def!)
    _resource.def
    _travel.def

_city.def contains isle/city/dungeon names

This files always keep unchanged:
    map.def
    _character.def
    _groupmember.def
    _npc.def
    _players.def
    _terrain.def

This shouldn't affect any of your markers, manuell set markers are stored in Istaria\prefs\servername_charactername\UIMapMarker s.def. Hope this helps.

Thanks should help.

I spent a bit piecing together a newer in game map for the ED, to replace istaria_59_50.png (Reklar's redone area, darkstaff tower area, that lost patrol) but its 16 terrain sections which are 25 chunks each.. or 400 chunks needing stitched together then resized to replace it. I got 3 of the 16 done, taking a break (using Paint to do it, lol). Does anyone have a script written to stitch these 128x128 chunks together?

Map file Istaria_59_50.png (256 x 256 pixels) is made up of terrain sections
    59_53 60_53 61_53 62_53
    59_52 60_52 61_52 62_62
    59_51 60_51 61_51 62_51
    59_50 60_50 61_50 62_50

each of those is the chunk files in the various folders under the worldcache/shardname/terrain/xx_xx folders, which are stitched together
    chunk04_128 chunk14_128 chunk24_128 chunk34_128 chunk44_128
    chunk03_128 chunk13_128 chunk23_128 chunk33_128 chunk43_128
    chunk02_128 chunk12_128 chunk22_128 chunk32_128 chunk42_128
    chunk01_128 chunk11_128 chunk21_128 chunk31_128 chunk41_128
    chunk00_128 chunk10_128 chunk20_128 chunk30_128 chunk40_128
    not very intuitive. chunk pngs are 128x128 so this first stitch makes a 640 x 640 pixel file.

I've done 59_50, 59_51, and 60_50 so far to make sure I had the pattern right. But there's got to be a better way than doing it by hand

Piecing it all together will make a 2560 x 2560 file, which will then need resized to 256 x 256. easier to get the pieces lined up by stitching the chunks before resizing them down.

I really shouldn't have to be doing this... c'mon dev's, make an updated in-game map. They probably have the tools to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Thanks should help.

I spent a bit piecing together a newer in game map for the ED, to replace istaria_59_50.png (Reklar's redone area, darkstaff tower area, that lost patrol) but its 16 terrain sections which are 25 chunks each.. or 400 chunks needing stitched together then resized to replace it. I got 3 of the 16 done, taking a break (using Paint to do it, lol). Does anyone have a script written to stitch these 128x128 chunks together?

Map file Istaria_59_50.png (256 x 256 pixels) is made up of terrain sections
    59_53 60_53 61_53 62_53
    59_52 60_52 61_52 62_62
    59_51 60_51 61_51 62_51
    59_50 60_50 61_50 62_50

each of those is the chunk files in the various folders under the worldcache/shardname/terrain/xx_xx folders, which are stitched together
    chunk04_128 chunk14_128 chunk24_128 chunk34_128 chunk44_128
    chunk03_128 chunk13_128 chunk23_128 chunk33_128 chunk43_128
    chunk02_128 chunk12_128 chunk22_128 chunk32_128 chunk42_128
    chunk01_128 chunk11_128 chunk21_128 chunk31_128 chunk41_128
    chunk00_128 chunk10_128 chunk20_128 chunk30_128 chunk40_128
    not very intuitive. chunk pngs are 128x128 so this first stitch makes a 640 x 640 pixel file.

I've done 59_50, 59_51, and 60_50 so far to make sure I had the pattern right. But there's got to be a better way than doing it by hand

Piecing it all together will make a 2560 x 2560 file, which will then need resized to 256 x 256. easier to get the pieces lined up by stitching the chunks before resizing them down.

I really shouldn't have to be doing this... c'mon dev's, make an updated in-game map. They probably have the tools to do this.

Frid we need you now - please come home!

Knossos

@Guaran - So you're saying the world cache file looks different than the game map for this area? If so, then maybe we can look at pulling the world cache out and see about making an updated map. I have a pretty simple and clever way to piecing the terrain images together. The same principle will work for the smaller cache images in the World_Cache folder.

Whenever we update individual image files from the istaria terrain folder (ponds or rivers colored in) I also have to piece them all back together so I can have one large single image. The only purpose that I need one large single image of all the terrain files pieced together, is so I can load it and run it through a program that chops them down into 256x256 tiles. I only need these tiles for the Istaria Map page (google map) I have. Google maps only works with this size tiles.

So with that in mind, here is the clever way I put them all together:

So what I do is put them into an html table - Example here . If you look at this page the 'Show Map 1' and 'Show Map 2' is nothing more than an html table that puts them all together. Map 1 shows them with borders, Map 2 is the same page, but without borders. Once I view this on a web page, I then take a screenshot of it. Since the actual image is larger than my actual screen, taking an Alt+PrintScreen would not work. I would only have a partial screenshot. I then use this free program called SiteShoter which loads a webpage and saves it as a .jpg file. Once I have that, then I cut the image out of that screenshot (the screenshot will also include part of the actual webpage, so it needs trimmed a little bit). Note if you want to see the order the Istaria Terrain images are laid out, click the "Show Table Template" link to see. If you look at "Show Map 1", you can right click any of the Squares and choose Properties, it will tell you the image name (Istaria_27_78.png, etc). So you can use this page to quickly find which image is what.

With that in mind, you can piece together the cache files too in the same manner. But since the pieced together image will fit into the screen, you won't need to do use that program I spoke of. Instead, just do an Alt+Printscreen and then Paste it into your Paint program

I've already written the code (assuming the order you listed the chunks are the correct order (I haven't tested that)). Click here for code (or Right click this link, Save As. Rename this file (or copy paste into notepad). Save the file as anything.htm . Now put this .htm file into the world cache folder (same folder where the chunk.png files exist. Now double click this file. It will open up a web browser and magically will show one image with them all pieced together. Now just do an Alt+Printscreen and Paste it into your paint program and cut it out.

To see how this will work, I've actually took some images out of one of the cache folders. Click these two links to see how it looks: With Borders and Without Borders.

The With Borders shows how they are really just sitting side by side, the No borders is what you'd want to take a screenshot of. The No borders is the one that's in the Code above.

@Terao I might try to get around one day to see about seeing the difference of the world map cache files (Around where Guaran spoke of by Reklar, etc) and see how much different it looks. It might be worth to replace some of the Istaria Terrain images with this for next map pack. Maybe if you are bored, you might look into that before I do, wink wink In the meantime, I have to fix my broken Google map page, not sure how long it will take. Google did away with version 2 of the API. I have to try to figure out the code to work on version 3 ><
    Last edited by Cegaiel; November 25th, 2013 at 12:56 AM.

ok nice. the cache to image is a much quicker way of stitching them (it's working), and combines the 25 chunks into a single image needed for creating the 16 files needed for the larger map section.

I can likely just combine those 16 pieces manually, unless you want to make a second html joining bit of code... I could likely modify the one you have. also, I bet that the entire map, made from chunks instead of from the map sections like your example pages use, could be written fairly easily, and then used to pull future world cache changes out very quickly. Some map sections are blank/not loaded into worldcache, so as long as it provides proper spacing for any missing chunks, should work great.

But a larger, slightly more complex bit of code that can go into the groupings of 16 terrain subfolders and pull out the chunks and arrange everything, would make this very easy in the future...

This is a good start, let me fiddle with it.

Ok, so here is the 2nd part of the code. This table puts together the 16 files needed for the larger image. This example shows it in the original size 640x640, but also shows a 2nd picture reduced to the correct 256x256 size we desire (saves you one more step of having to reduce it in paint program). You can strip my code of the 2nd table (640x640) to make it easier on future edits. I simply included it as an example. But it can assist in determining the area since its easier to see and enlarged.

This is my reproduction of the file named istaria_59_50.png in the Istaria terrain folder, stitched together in tables. Click here for code.

And I now see what Terao meant by the land looking flat (in another post). The images extracted from the world cache folder seems to lack that special 3D effect needed for the actual map. So it was fun to stitch the files together. But I see these are not worthy images to substitute existing terrain files. Oh well. But it would be a good starting point for someone with the skills to do it.
    Last edited by Cegaiel; November 25th, 2013 at 06:03 AM.

Thread Information