Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Map Pack 3.7

Default Re: Map Pack 3.7

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    If I wanted to only update the ingame terrain maps, skip all the mapmarkers (prefer my own, these are too much clutter), would I just copy the terrain subfolders?
    By the way, you NEVER lose the ability to maintain your own markers when using map pack. The Star icon/button * That is the same button in genuine (no map pack) to show/hide your personal markers. That * button also shows in map pack. So technically, you can install full map pack, but untick every button, except the * button. At that point no map pack markers will show on the screen, only your personal markers would display. So you can actually mix and match map pack markers and your own personal markers as well So whenever you want to add a new personal marker, you can still do that with map pack installed. Adding markers always goes to your personal collection. It is impossible (unless you edit with notepad) to add markers to the map pack database in the game. You just click on your map as normal, and the dialogue to add a new name will appear. Anything you add can be turned on or off clicking the * star button. All other buttons turn on/off the predefined locations added by map pack. Your personal markers and map pack markers co-exist perfectly! You say too much clutter, then just turn the clutter off with the buttons (filters) that's what its there for. So install map pack and untick all the buttons, it will be the equivalent of not having map pack installed at all. But at least you can have it on demand at anytime by ticking one or more of the other buttons

And I tried to make a one html to do all routines... First attempt failed, will keep trying though. The problem is that I need to reduce one of the stages of an image by 25.6 to divide correctly. Web browsers don't do decimals on an image width/height and rounds. So that's why I had to do it in two steps, and could not be fully automated (yet).
    Last edited by Cegaiel; November 25th, 2013 at 06:31 AM.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Knossos View Post
    Frid we need you now - please come home!

Knossos
    My old map maker program is still around somewhere, but the code might currently be broken due to previously working on re-organizing the world terrain/textures to be packaged assets since they are never changed without a patch. (still a little bitter about packages never being rolled out) and I never got around to making a nice GUI for it...

Yeah, after I used the cache2image.html a few more times, it started becoming obvious that the images are kinda of flat, weird black spots.. I think the ingame map has some coloration, tinting, and/or includes colors of structures which covers the weird plain spots. So the base world cache files are a start, but wouldn't be very good without additional work.

Your 59_50 file does show the new roads at least... a few more sectors need updated as well, the one just west of this sector should cover the new area near the outpost. Also a few map sections around south march to chiconis for some terrain changes there are needed. Likely some more out there...

Frid, can you make a replacement in-game map that has better coloration than these ones I pieced together from world cache files?

The principle of getting a nice looking map is quiet easy, the problem is to get generate the height map (or bump map). The bump map is a greyscale graphics, white is high, black is deep. If you paste a texture over it you get a nice looking graphic, little tutorial how this is done with Gimp.

The heightmaps are stored in the same subfolders as the graphics tiles, for example heightmap_31_95.aei. It needs to be investigated how the .aei format is built.

It would be great if you could fix your tool Fridlekh! Would save a lot of work, I don't need a fancy user interface, a command line driven tool would do it, I'm used to work with such things.

Else some infos about the world cache:

1. sector_info.def
    ...\world_cache\orderhorizons\sector_info.def
    This file contains the information for which sectors and coordinates are entries in the world cache. For example the Fiery Rift, it contains the coords and sectorID pointing to the related file.
    Code:
    SECTOR_INFO
    {
        int sectorID = 19421
        int type = 2
        int version = 243
        bool dynamic = 0
        float minX = 15000.000000
        float minY = 46500.000000
        float maxX = 15500.000000
        float maxY = 47000.000000
    }

SECTOR_INFO
    {
        int sectorID = 19422
        int type = 2
        int version = 243
        bool dynamic = 0
        float minY = 47000.000000
        float maxY = 47500.000000
    }

SECTOR_INFO
    {
        int sectorID = 19423
        int type = 2
        int version = 243
        bool dynamic = 0
        float minY = 47500.000000
        float maxY = 48000.000000
    }

SECTOR_INFO
    {
        int sectorID = 19453
        int type = 2
        int version = 243
        bool dynamic = 0
        float minX = 15500.000000
        float minY = 46500.000000
        float maxX = 16000.000000
        float maxY = 47000.000000
    }

SECTOR_INFO
    {
        int sectorID = 19454
        int type = 2
        int version = 542
        bool dynamic = 0
        float minY = 47000.000000
        float maxY = 47500.000000
    }

SECTOR_INFO
    {
        int sectorID = 19455
        int type = 2
        int version = 98
        bool dynamic = 0
        float minY = 47500.000000
        float maxY = 48000.000000
    }
    2. terrain_info.def
    Important are the coords and IDs from the sector_info.def, they point to the terrain_info.def, as example I take the sectorID = 19421, this points to the entry in the terrain_info.def

Code:
    SECTOR_INFO
    {
        int iX = 30
        int iY = 93
        int ownerID = 19421

MASK_INFO
        {
            int maskInd = -1
            int version = 19
        }
        MASK_INFO
        {
            int maskInd = 20
            int version = 1
        }
        MASK_INFO
        {
            int maskInd = 46
            int version = 1
        }
        MASK_INFO
        {
            int maskInd = 51
            int version = 1
        }
        MASK_INFO
        {
            int maskInd = 52
            int version = 1
        }
        MASK_INFO
        {
            int maskInd = 54
            int version = 1
        }
        MASK_INFO
        {
            int maskInd = 59
            int version = 3
        }
    }
    Important are the int iX = 30, and int iY = 93 as these points to the subfolders where the graphic tiles and the other files are stored, ...\terrain\30_93\.
    The maskInd = 20 points to the file ...\world_cache\orderhorizons\terrain\30_93\mask[20]_30_93.aei, I think those containing the data for buildings and such, I haven't investigated further these files.

3. 30_93
    int iX = 30
    int iY = 93
    The following subfolders belong to the Fiery Rift, arranged in this pattern:
    30_95 31_95 32_95
    30_94 31_94 32_94
    30_93 31_93 32_93

31_95
    And the folder containing the graphic tiles, arranged in this pattern:
    chunk04_128.png chunk14_128.png chunk24_128.png chunk34_128.png chunk44_128.png
    chunk03_128.png chunk13_128.png chunk23_128.png chunk33_128.png chunk43_128.png
    chunk02_128.png chunk12_128.png chunk22_128.png chunk32_128.png chunk42_128.png
    chunk01_128.png chunk11_128.png chunk21_128.png chunk31_128.png chunk41_128.png
    chunk00_128.png chunk10_128.png chunk20_128.png chunk30_128.png chunk40_128.png

And the heightmap file ist stored there too, in one of the files need to be the information for water and such, but I don't know how this .aei format is built.
    heightmap_31_95.aei contains the height information needed to generate a bump map file.
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Frid, can you make a replacement in-game map that has better coloration than these ones I pieced together from world cache files?
    Well, the maps I make *are* made using world cache files... to make updated maps I'd need to get back in-game and re-build my cache, so probably not soon. filling out the cache from scratch takes a long time.

If you want to try using it yourself, grab the exe from https://sites.google.com/site/fridlekh/Topomap.zip and run 'topomap help' for detailed command line params. A lot of the defaults were coded with my setup and testing in mind, so a lot of params will need to be set explicitly to get useful output

you will *need* to set
    path=<root Istaria dir>
    server=<server name>
    name=<map name>
    startx=<sector or coordinate>
    stopx=<sector or coordinate>
    starty=<sector or coordinate>
    stopy=<sector or coordinate>
    spe=2 or 4
    shadowmap
    texturemap
    withdefs

If there are preferred defaults for some of the values, or someone wants to use the program a lot, I can change some of those defaults to save on typing.

note: the black squares peppered around the texture map are lairs and other openings in the terrain.

*Dreams of return of a hi-res map one day*

Knossos

Frid, the topo map is working great, just having 2 issues.

1st, it doesn't have the water colored in, just showing black for the water.

2nd, I took out the withdefs option, yet its still making all the separate files (with defs) instead of the single picture. I need the single picture to more easily see where I need to fill in my worldcache. Is there an opposite option from "withdefs" ? or maybe I need to set withdefs=0 ?

Here's what im using

Topomap path=<my path to \horizons> server=chaos name=newmap type=png startx=27 starty=26 stopx=63 stopy=79 sea=525 spe=4 res=256 la=45 mb=32 ms=-64 shadowmap texturemap

I need to fill in some worldcache sections for some open ocean areas and a few other spots, and re-run it.

I've created some drop-in replacements for the ingame map, so far so good and looks like the map should look color wise.

Use terao's map pack as the base and install it in resources_override.

unzip this to resources_override istariamapupdate.zip

Updates include Eastern Deadlands - roads going to Reklar, dusk tower, lost camp, the new blight invasion near eastern outpost, and the one just east of mithril's anvil. The path that crosses from Lerena to Draak. Winter Vale. Updated plot sizes in Lerena, old oaks, southern lesser aradoth (plots just east of sslanis, lower bridgeview), Sable shore, Selen, Tishlar, Harro, Morning Light, Aiya, West side of Falathien island, and a few more. East edge of Falathien not done just yet since I am missing some worldcache out on the edges. These files just giving a taste plus a quick ED update for those of us who like to hunt out there. Northern edge of ED is also not included just yet. Will update the zip once I fill those in.

It's working for me Fridlekh, thank you! I will play around with settings a bit and redo a lot of maps, this may take some time

When you upate the Istaria map Guaran I'll take yours, makes no sense I do the same again, thank you

Looking good Guaran Thanks Frid, that's a pretty awesome tool! Such a small .exe (45kb) that can do all of this, I am impressed, indeed.

Terao seems to have the tool working well

Hope this wasn't a surprise that I'm ruining... But Terao sent me a few redone maps, posting two of them to show the before (flat) and after (raised bumps/3D). Before is on the left side, after is on the right side.

Click here to view

I can't wait to see everything redone!

Also wanted to point out that many of the ponds, lakes and river we've colored in manually gets undone by the tool. So those would need to be colored again manually (minor, we want accurate images, the tiny ponds, rivers can be colored again later and low priority). So to avoid extra work, make sure the images that are getting redone, actually needs to be redone (new roads, etc, plots, etc). The tool can miss some of the water, but I noticed it can also add water that was missed (ie a small pond shows on the new istaria_59_50.png image. But for the most part, some ponds and rivers are getting uncolored and looks like dirt again. So, just saying, don't redo every image unless there is a reason I mean it would be logical just to redo every image, 'just in case', but the tool does have some minor flaws in regards to the water.

I've put the images in a table to see the before (current map pack images) and after (after the tool is used) easily. But I do seem some very nice differences on them, especially istaria_59_50.png. That one, you can tell a huge difference, that looks nice.

Another nice change I noticed was istaria_47_46.png. Look at the plots. It looks likes there are less plots and they are bigger. Is that true? (I'm too lazy to figure out and visit which settlement/guild that is, sorry)

istaria_55_42.png - you can see the little rocks that connects one island to the next one, nice.

If I could add a suggestion to maybe redo an image that I personally had to manually edit quite a bit, would be the southern tip of Northern Deadlands - Istaria_43_66.png. So please redo that so I can see before and after, thanks!

Click here to Compare Current Mappack vs Redone images
    Last edited by Cegaiel; November 27th, 2013 at 07:38 AM.

cool preview Nice work on the doom and rift maps. don't forget Isles of Battle

Yeah the plot sizes in the old map are almost all wrong.

I'm about 1/3 done filling in the edges of my worldcache, but also have noticed most all of the edges are ok to begin with.

Toadstool vacation is flattened out now (southwest of Drakul) Before picture. It's still in the old maps' istaria_27_54

Out west of abandonded island I found 27_46 Someone fix the darker blue corner, I've filled that in as best as I will be able to. Viewdist has to be set to 2k to see it, and it's made my client real crashy. (slowed my progress a bit but worth it)

Sorry Guaran, tried looking at 27_46 image multiple times over 12 hours, it never loads (times out to error). Maybe try photobucket.com. Compared to the old days, this is a very good site now (load time/features)

I've updated the Map Test page, so that it will show image file names (in Tooltip), whenever you hover mouse over a square. Hopefully easier to match up a spot on the map with the correct image file name. Be sure to hit Browser Refresh button.

I've updated Compare List (and will continue to update in future; be sure to hit Refresh on your browser each time you visit this page). This compare list will show pending changes. But also, page will serve as a reference (before/after) to help find individual rivers, ponds, lakes that need to be manually colored in again later. Be sure to hit Browser Refresh button each visit.

Toadstool isle (27_54) is now empty (see Compare List), Verified and Thanks G!
    Last edited by Cegaiel; November 28th, 2013 at 09:02 AM.

So far I've redone the following maps

• New Brommel
    • New Rachival
    • New Koraelia
    • New Vasserak
    • New Trismus
    • Skalkaar
    • Isles of Battle
    • Isle of the Drowned
    • Fiery Rift
    • Rift
    • Helian's Tomb
    • Dralnok's Doom

Before

After

Awesome stuff! Since I'm keeping track of all these changes for the patch notes on next update, figured I'd share more screenshots sent in by Terao. These will be the actual pages linked in the patch notes as well.

Always refresh browser each visit (will keep being updated as changes become available):
    Compare List - Individual Maps
    Compare List - Istaria Terrain

And there has been quite a few posts since a post about the Blight Patch fix, and has scrolled off (if you haven't visited forums in a while). So a reminder about the scrolled off post #33. This was in regards if using Map Pack with current Blight Patch. The "You are Here" markers stopped working, the patch will fix that (and will not conflict if you use it for non-blight patch).

After flying with my two dragons nearly a whole day across complete Istaria I could generate a complete new Istaria map. Thank you so much Fridlekh, your small little tool is just great, so I've generated three maps with different resolutions, a standard one (256x256 pixels), a medres (384x384 pixels) and a high res one (512x512 pixels each map piece). As we don't want to maintain different versions of the map we are having a close look which one we take for future use, this needs to be tweaked a little bit in details. I think we'll be able to release a new version of the Map Pack within the next week or so, nearly just in time with the celebration of the 10th anniversary, stay tuned!

Sslanis 256x256 (like the map is now)

Sslanis 384x384

Sslanis 512x512
    Last edited by Terao; December 1st, 2013 at 04:49 PM.

When you use the tool and make folders with map pieces into it, can they then be used to puzzle together one big image again? I would like to create a full size istaria (and other landmarks) map with the topology. I know the tool cannot create a 30k width image, but when creating tiles it should be possible, right? Would be great if you could help me with it then
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

Last night I finally completed filling in my world cache, built a new istaria map, and corrected the water in the following spots:
    Elmnic (underwater plots)
    Pond near Heart
    2 small pools on Elnath
    Pool of Teeth

The poison pond between aughundell and morning light I left alone, since it is green and the map looks close already. Many other water spots already look ok. I will compile the files and get them to terao to put in the map pack, and if anyone finds a missed pond of water, let me know. Been making a second copy of the sector with the sealevel adjusted to match the ponds actual height, then copy-pasting just that section into the normally generated map files.

I plan on making a single map for all 4 starting islands since they are right by each other, as well as all the old ritual circle islands/spirit isle. May not fit into the exiting layout, but I prefer the single larger maps to the smaller zone maps (don't see the point). I plan to make these for my own use, but can provide if anyone else wants. I can also compile the existing zones from my WC for some cities, isle of drowned, etc to see how they come out. The old city maps were made using an aerial top-down picture method so that the buildings would be included. The map making tool doesn't do that.

Thread Information