Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Istaria's Got Competition

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Istaria's Got Competition

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ovative-mmorpg

Just found this. Playable dragons and a crafting system similar to that of Istaria's. Oh dear. Dunno if this is going to get funded or not, but still... just thought I'd bring this to people's eyes here. I'm still going to stick to Istaria no matter what, but just thought others would be interested in seeing this. Still only a kickstarter, but you never know..

Now that I read more on it, and especially about dragons, this sounds a lot like Istaria but on survival. Wonder if they were inspired by Istaria...? And I wonder if players of this would be interested in trying Istaria?
    *shrugs*
    Food for thought. Hope Istaria isn't affected though :c

Edit: It's called Trials of Ascension

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Default Re: Istaria's Got Competition

I don't see any mention of Playable Dragons....but yes it does look 'very' heavily influenced by Istaria......but then most games are

nb, oh yeah I found it....the bit that means 'probably never' lol
    Don't think it will work out though as peeps want new games with 'state of the art' graphics ect.
    Just using old engine to make a game that's already out there in abundance...well I think the amount of funding the kickstarter has shows more than I can say.
    Last edited by Sindala; October 25th, 2013 at 12:24 PM.

I think they started the kickstarted 4 days ago, so they got 50k in 4 days. And I do know they have playable dragons, they confirmed it here - http://trialsofascension.com/forum/t...-dragons.2064/ - but it's a stretch goal, apparently.

I found out about it from here - http://firedragon97.deviantart.com/j...gons-409352291

Anyways, only thing we can really see right now is if it gets funded or not. If they get 50k every 3 days, they'll get $466,666 in 28 days.. which isn't enough. And they got 50k in 4 days. So eh, never know.

I just thought people would find it interesting or amusing

"We've dramatically changed how they age. Instead of just surviving a set amount of time, the only way a dragon can age is to eat the freshly killed heart of another dragon that is of the same age category or older. When one is eaten, they age a small bit in their age category."

...no thanks...

So you need to eat other dragons' hearts and there is permadeath? I don't want to be the cause of someone losing a character that they worked hard on so I will be staying with Istaria. How would a species that must eat its own kind to grow survive anyway? That doesn't make much sense.

"We've dramatically changed how they age. Instead of just surviving a set amount of time, the only way a dragon can age is to eat the freshly killed heart of another dragon that is of the same age category or older. When one is eaten, they age a small bit in their age category."
    I was definitely going to play the game until I saw this quote >.>...I can see the benefits of permanently dying, and I understand what ToA is working towards, buuuuuut...I don't like it. It makes one -too- afraid to die, and that kills the joy in a lot of aspects of the game. Might still try it out, but I doubt I'll ever play it the same way I do istaria.
    Last edited by Alisto; October 26th, 2013 at 02:25 AM.

Considering I didn't read much into it since I only found it by checking deviantART journals during school time... dafuq? that's... a very... very strange way to grow. just.. what?

I personally like survival games with permadeath and whatnot, so I guess this is why the game appealed to me a bit more than you guys. But just... what? XD I don't understand eating hearts making you grow...

Edit: Maybe should change the title to 'Istaria's got possible competition' :P
    Last edited by Racktor; October 26th, 2013 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    I thought this was all a cool thing until I read that. Permadeath on its own would have been more than enough, and I could understand the hate by NPC's and other species, but cannibalism to grow? No. When I think about the addition of that coupled with the perma-death into that scenario I can just see all the kinds of drama and possible toxic that is going to cause. No thanks, I'll pass.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

This game is PvP oriented. Suppose it adds excitement of going a 'hardcore' mode, but really that just exacerbates the griefing.
    rip

It had potential when i looked at it firstly, but...no.
    I can see how permadeath can be good, and i can see how pvp might be cool too...but put them together and you get a game with a lot of drama -- "It makes one -too- afraid to die, and that kills the joy in a lot of aspects of the game." as alice said.
    "I don't want to be the cause of someone losing a character that they worked hard on" as opal said, i'd be either angry or sad depending on which side i was on. I mean i don't want to kill the character someone's worked on; likewise, i don't want to be killed straight away over and over and over and over and over...you get the idea.
    "Suppose it adds excitement of going a 'hardcore' mode, but really that just exacerbates the griefing." Dracillion couldn't have put it better. On games there is ALWAYS those few people who go around and try to reduce other players experience of the game. This one just seems to make it better for those types who ruin.
    I also read a comment on the forum thing...it said soemthing about being a hacthling, humans want to kill you before you can kill them, elders want to kill you for no more competition etc. It doesn't seem like the friendliest game...

I agree. Eating other dragons to get ahead is totally off putting. There's no competition here for me. Istaria wins hands down.

Looking at how they're referring to dragon progression ie. hatchling, adult, ancient, really does sound like plagiarism. Maybe they are Istaria players with PvP frustrations?
    Be the Dragon!

I've been following this game for awhile before it showed up on Kickstarter and it will be really quite different from Istaria. The permadeath feature will allow someone to die 100 times before their soul is too weak to make it back. The small team has had the idea for the game since 2000-01 and finally started making a push to create it with the Hero engine. It's quite a hard-core game with a big focus on survival in a hostile environment.
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

A PvP game with Perma-death after 100 kills??
    Lol, I logged 100 deaths in the first day of Rift.

I do think Istaria reps will be keeping an eye on this game though, far to many 'coincidences'......

I'm not sure if I can even follow the design and thinking process of the dragons on ToA.. I am already put off by the fact that dragons are a 'super weapon', not a true playable race, that will inevitably be playable by the top players (And then their friends, judging by this 'scale donation') leaving newer ones stuck in the early stages. Not to mention having to eat other dragons, awesome..

Plus.. limited life? I'm sure that will go down very well with those who invest in the game, both pre-release and in-game items..

They sure did remove the fun of playing one in my opinion.
    Her Purpliness of Chaos, Kyala
    Big Goldy of Chaos, Orlaith
    Little hatchling of Order, Kaleith

I'd like to know why the same people working on the same game have set up a new company to develop it after the first company failed and went bust....sometimes kickstarter just don't seem legit to me.

They are also falling into the same 'trap' a lot of other developers have in the past, trying to make the game to complex.
    It's all great in theory but when they try to code that in....it's no wonder the first company went bust.

I dont follow at all of what there trying to do here. No fast travel, no consigner, no unlimited lives, and no general chat? sounds like a single player game to me more then a MMO..
    My dragon scroll :O

Quote Originally Posted by Satturn View Post
    I dont follow at all of what there trying to do here. No fast travel, no consigner, no unlimited lives, and no general chat? sounds like a single player game to me more then a MMO..
    That explains why the game is so unfriendly -- i mean if we're all single player on a -multiplayer- game we don't have to worry about how annoyed poeple will be with you right??

*facedesk*

I dont follow at all of what there trying to do here. No fast travel, no consigner, no unlimited lives, and no general chat? sounds like a single player game to me more then a MMO.
    I believe they're trying to appeal to the 'hardcore' types - the ones who want to walk up hill, both ways in the snow in flip flops.

And perhaps only being able to meet people by running into them in the world makes it more immersive?

*shrug* i thought MMOs wanted you to help others and have others help you like a good neighbor. This game isn't really supporting that.
    My dragon scroll :O

PvP? Nope , seriously, NOT INTERESTED! Ever

I love istaria and the people in our world, known as Order! Will remain, from here on out, a perma resident of the order world.!

Thread Information