Thread: Dual Client help.

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Default Dual Client help.

Ello, Ok I used to be able to have 2 clients open on the same laptop (4 at one point)
    but I recently tried again to have 2 chars in game at same time and it wont let me.
    Crashes the instance of the game I have open at the time to load the new one.

I was advised to make a copy of the game folder and and give it a separate shortcut (I called it Istaria2)
    This however don't work either, it to crashes the instance I have open to start the new one?

Any ideas?

Comp can easily handle multiple clients at same time and I have 2 active accounts allowing 2 concurrent logins.

I'm not sure if it was a change with the java login? or if it's something to do with Windows 8 (I know but what can I do)

Default Re: Dual Client help.

From what I was told:

An individual directory for each instance you want to run (Copy from first worked for me)

Separate launcher shortcuts - one for/from each directory (Can drag-drop from each directory to your chosen locale)
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Yup, that's what I did. I even tried it by putting the '2nd' game onto a plug in hard drive but still the same.
    One crashes the other and vice versa.

I'd be interested to know if anyone working with Windows 8 interface can dual log?

I've got a Dell 8700 desktop running Windows 8.1 Pro and I was able to start two instances of the game without crashing. I didn't run it for long as I've only got one monitor on it, but both started and I could switch between the two.

Good Luck

Not running Windows 8, so I can't confirm myself...

Has anything significant changed with your computer between when dual-logging worked and when it didn't? An OS update, hardware changes, Java updates...?

When does it crash, exactly? Does the first client crash when the second client pops up the splash screen or when the second client is on its loading screen, etc.? Do you get error messages of any sort?

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Happens as soon as I double click the icon on the desktop, sometimes I can get the first login window to appear but crashes soon after. No error message, just says got unhandled and do I want to send a crash report.
    The last time I did dual logging was probably on last computer which used Vista 64.
    This one uses Windows 8 64bit (well 8.1 now after the latest windows update)

Can't really say for defo that it's the computer as I can run Istaria, UO and Eve all at the same time so I know it's got the power to run 2 Istaria clients.

Tried with Firewalls and virus programs turned off too and no difference.
    Last edited by Sindala; November 15th, 2013 at 11:16 AM.

Sounds like something with the video driver. Which video card is installed, and what's the driver version currently at?

Video card is AMD Radeon HD 7640G (other laptop also had a Radeon card but much older)
    driver = 12.104.0.0

Did you check the icons on your desktop that one starts from folder1 and the other from folder2? I can run multiple clients without any problems on win 7/64 and win 8.

I've installed it only once and simply made some copies from this one installation to different folders (two for Order and one I use to login on Blight). Just to make sure you really start Istaria from different folders.
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

This seems to be the problem
    I opened the game normally then for the second client I went into the copied game folder and opened it from there. It worked.

Seems that for some reason the 2 icons on the desktop are trying to open the same folder, ill have to look into assigning them differently somehow than just 'right click / create shortcut'

Thanks to all for the advice though

Hmm....on second thoughts, should I be thanking you all? I now have a Dragon mining Azul and a Bi-ped mining gems.
    Those that know me will laugh at the thought of me crafting with TWO chars. lol

one other thing I noted when running two instances - USE WINDOWED MODE - I found that going full screen on either turned them into major resource hogs and crashing was a huge problem. Going to windowed mode solved a lot of crashing and hang-up issues I was/used to hav(e)ing
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Right click both shortcuts you created and analyze them. Right click each one, choose Properties, then Shortcut tab.

Theres TWO things you want to check or change

Target: C:\games\istaria\jlauncher.exe
    Start in: c:\games\istaria

(or wherever your location is)

Make sure both match up.

So the 2nd icon would say, perhaps:

Target: C:\games\istaria2\jlauncher.exe
    Start in: c:\games\istaria2

I dual box from the same folder, without any problems (ie I click the same shortcut/icon twice). But my install isn't in Program Files either, which might cause problems due to the more restrictive permissions that folder has on it. If you do it from the same folder, both games running has to share the log files etc, and both write to them at same time, for one thing...
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Bumping this as i'd love a reply from Tech department.
    It did work for a while but now it just crashes one instance to open a new instance.
    Had it running with the advice from Cegaiel's post.
    I even went out and bought a new flash drive today (16gig) and put the 2nd copy on that so there was now mistaking but no....

I have 4 concurrent logins at moment and it's starting to upset me that I can only play 1.
    Machine is a pretty powerful one to and could easily handle 3 logins.

Oh it's a Windows 8 OS if that make's a difference.

You put second copy on a thumbdrive. Are you launching it from there? Browse to the thumbdrive, and launch jlauncher.exe

To help make sure you are shortcutting to separate copies, in each folder, rename jlauncher.exe to jlauncher1.exe, in the second copy, rename it to jlauncher2.exe. Then right click each one, select create shortcut. Then copy that out to desktop.

If I had to guess, something about windows 8 shortcuts might make it easy to think you are launching two separate copies, but are going to the same install. You may need to independently launch each jlauncher by browsing there.

Yup done all that, used to work (windows vista). Now it don't (windows 8).
    No matter what I try to do for whatever reason it won't let me have 2 instances of Istaria open on the same laptop.

That's why i'd like Istaria Tech to give me the low down. I appreciate the help from players but nobody is telling me anything new that I haven't already tried before.

Best place I've found to get tech help is through filing a ticket at https://support.istaria.com/. Those get forwarded to the best folks to address it; on these forums, it's a matter of who happens to read your post.

I too have windows 8 and have been unable to dual log...been over a year now. I did have a ticket submitted, but got swamped and was unable to schedule a aession to have tech support connect to my laptop. If this issue gets resolved, I'd appreciate configuration information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Thread Information