Thread: Techniques applied-window is too small

Default Techniques applied-window is too small

As you can see I always only see two techs. As I triplecheck that section before I craft not to waste resources it would be much easier if I could see all three techs at once.

There is no way to resize that part of the window. When I resize the full window horizontally, only the comp list part gets bigger. When I resize it vertically, only the Techniques Available/Applied-part resizes.

Used theme is sapphire
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

Default Re: Techniques applied-window is too small

That is what the little scroll bar is for

Not sure it's a 'bug' but yes, a slightly bigger window could allow for all 3 techs to display, but then what if you had 4 techs applied (not that it happens too often).

I made a slightly related suggestion, whereby the item creation window for first stage resources (e.g. bricks) could be a 'simple' version that doesn't display any of the tech info. Not sure if it caught anyone's eye, or if it is even feasible; just wanted to hijack this thread and mention it again
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

I've been tinkering with the item creation window after reading your post Pharaxes and so far there are two routes I'm trying out. One is the simple option of reducing the height of the techniques list so that there's room for one more line in the applied techniques list. The other route I'm currently experimenting with is increasing the overall height of the top half so that the techniques list remains the same, the applied techniques list gets an extra line, and the item preview window gets a little extra height. I'll post back here when I'm happy with the result of my experiments.

Here's what I've done with it so far, reduced the height of the techniques list and adjusted the positioning of the arrows and the applied techniques list:

horizons_1400549290.jpg

There are 4 techniques applied including the dye kit, hence the scrollbar. I had a look at making the lists resizable but the arrows make that a problem. Will have a look at the second option, increasing the overall height of the top half of the crafting window in the morning.

Thats already great! So I guess it's somewhere in the prefs how big the window parts are then?
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaxes View Post
    Thats already great! So I guess it's somewhere in the prefs how big the window parts are then?
    You'll find a file called UIItemCreateWindow.def in the \Istaria\resources\interface\themes\default\defs folder (replace default with the theme you're using). That file can be copied over into the same folder structure in the resources_override folder and then modified. I'll post the actual modified files once I've finished tinkering with the second version and made sure both variations work without any funny behaviour.

My ideal mod to the item creation window would have the item preview window in the middle, with the list of techniques taking the full height of the right-hand side of the window allowing easier browsing, and also allow a full 4 lines for applied techniques so a player can see all of them without scrolling. This would reduce the width of the resources/components section, but there's a lot of wasted space in it anyhow.

I'd love to know if there is a resource with details on the UI implementation for Istaria. Years ago I tried modifying the Chat window to include the LFG and AFK buttons for easy access (I was hoping to find a way to encourage more people to use the LFG feature!) but soon realised that we can't add functionality to the different types of window, even if the same functionality exists in another window. This differs from ESO and other LUA-based interface games where there is an API of sorts, allowing people to create entirely new windows with exactly the features they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzael View Post

My ideal mod to the item creation window would have the item preview window in the middle, with the list of techniques taking the full height of the right-hand side of the window allowing easier browsing, and also allow a full 4 lines for applied techniques so a player can see all of them without scrolling. This would reduce the width of the resources/components section, but there's a lot of wasted space in it anyhow.
    Such a good idea Tz, and I would love to see it incorporated as ' Game DEFAULT ', might even help our NVidia problem with the tricking not displaying ......nope, even I know I'm dreaming, but for a while I could see those models..like before on older puters where I had the full display ../sigh .. yes, I see alien language on the signposts too ../another sigh.
    Lio de Purr [Proud Saris] -------------------------------- 100 : HLR / SPRT -- 63 MAG
    100 : MIN/GTH - CRP/ENC/FIT/MSN/WVR - JWL - FLT/WPN/ARM - Tlr=80
    Huffenpuff [Adult Helian] ---------------------------------- 100 : DCra -- 76 Drag Adv.
    <The Alliance> Acul - Harro - Wolf's Paw - Drift Pt - Fabric Isle <CHAOS>

Got distracted by RL for a few days, now I'm back I'm almost done with my mod to the item creation window, all seems to be okay so far although I've got a couple of little niggles to work on.

For one thing I'm contemplating increasing the width of the item preview and resources sections, this will allow a bit extra room for the Resources and Skill Used columns. I've not had much luck with having multiple resizable columns in a list so I'm concerned that the Skill Used column may end up having truncated text. Currently on smallest window presentation it's quite common for the names of the resources to be truncated so that column will also benefit from a bit extra overall width. This might have an adverse effect on anyone who plays at 640x480 resolution

Due to the way the entire techniques section resizes, I'm fixing the size of the techniques applied list to prevent it resizing and revealing unnecessary space. Then the technique application arrows can go to a fixed location above the applied techniques list.

When the window is resized to increase its width an empty space appears between the item preview list and the techniques list. I'm considering the options for preventing that, but it may be the case it will be an acceptable behaviour of resizing the item creation window.

looks really nice, yet the Resources can have quite long names (Shrunken Purple Weaver Leg I got to hunt for yesterday heh)

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaxes View Post
    looks really nice, yet the Resources can have quite long names (Shrunken Purple Weaver Leg I got to hunt for yesterday heh)
    When the item creation window is resized horizontally the Resource column width increases, the example shown is the item creation window at its smallest. I've got to go out for a meal in a mo but when I'm back tonight I'll log in with my main toon and take a screenshot of the item creation window at the usual size I have it at. Hopefully that'll offer a good example of how it's currently looking

So here's a quick screenshot taken demonstrating a resized item creation window, you can see the flaws I described above clearly:

Thread Information