Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk to the Team: Knight of Creation

Default Talk to the Team: Knight of Creation

I've been brainstorming the Knight of Creation. Wanted to run some ideas/thoughts by everyone. My first thought was to adjust the Summoned Sword and Shield to have a Weapon/Armor socket (or maybe for the higher tiers). Beyond that, however, the school seems VERY dull and so I've been trying to think of ways to improve it.

The summoned sword and shield every 5 levels is very predictable and dull. The items are basic too. Might be interesting to throw in a summoned 2-handed weapon. Or perhaps change the summoned items to have the appearance of rare items (like the katana).

Thoughts? Ideas?

(Yes, this is a fishing expedition)
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Knight of Creation

Well, seems like summoning should be able to summon something more dynamic than a sword. What about summoning a beast that does attacks over time, then vanishes? Such as wolf of creation? It could always show up on a given side of the summoner and attack the summoner's target. At very high level, could even summon multiples.

Combat pets are not possible given current tech, sorry. Other summonings are possible, though we have to be careful since there are summoning schools. This one is more oriented towards martial combat.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I love the idea of KoC and tried one forever ago, even if it didn't really stick, but I'll drop my 2cents here.

I recall way back the conjuror or someone had a "summon mark" spell which summoned a neat little particle shield, and perhaps having more 'summoned' armor/weapons/etc. would be a nice approach. I think a socket/tech slot or some such on the KoC weapons will be a necessity to keep them useful/desirable and not just fall by the wayside automatically.

Maybe a unique summoning spell or two with some kind of damage/buff/defense? Kinda along the same line of thinking as dancing rapier.. I'd definitely say 'more summoned stuff' though! Weapons and shields are a great idea, maybe different kinds? Varied resists or energy types mayhaps. Something to really flesh out the 'feel' of "I summon a bunch of stuff and fight stuff with it."

Some kind of armor summoning, either via buff/particle, or actual item summons akin to the sword/shield might be neat, but could also just get kinda cumbersome.

Maybe some kind of buff with a % proc chance of summoning-based added damage or affects? I feel like they could have a similar bend as conjuror, but obviously with a bit less of the 'magicy' aspect geared towards magic and instead pushed towards martial purposes.

Also, being able to summon some kind of buff/defense for others would be pretty snappy, rather than just hog all the creation to themselves! I'd love to see a rehash of KoC.. Honestly Istaria has so many neat schools and a handful of them really just feel like they don't have that 'oomph' to really make them stand out.. Spearman/crossbowman/few others like that are neat, but much as you said regarding the 'predictable' nature, they are utterly predictable. The weapon-specific feel and style is nifty, but just not too unique once you really get it in practice besides the aesthetic (which is extremely important, mind you, but still has to be backed by interesting gameplay.)

I definitely hope KoC gets some love in the 'feel' department, will be delighted to see what changes perhaps go live on it!

A secondary thought.. A summoning-based repeatable would be interesting. Perhaps building off the whole % chance of extra stuff, either different effects, extra damage, perhaps a tumbling chance (ie 30% chance for X, 15% chance for Y, 10% for Z, so that it can do a variably high number of hits on rare occasions, etc.) - it might open up more depth for sorcerer and also give KoC an option to mingle a bit more magic into their style.

Sorry for the triple post, but I don't see a way to go back and edit, so..!

Some kinda summon-able consumables would be interesting, too.. Kind've akin to the blood doll thing - buffs they can either use for themselves or share to others, perhaps longer cooldowns, or kind've a currency type deal akin to conjuror so they'd have to pick n' choose what to use and when, rather than always have an array at the ready and good to go.

Oh! And I just remembered the old conjuror spell was "starter mark" I think.. I was really excited cause it was a neat idea but the only spell of that sort that conjuror ever got, much to my dismay. It summoned a little small-shield on the character's offhand, which was a pretty cool effect I thought.. stuff along that line would be super neato.

This has been bouncing around my head all weekend just idly in the back, I love seeing classes getting some love and polish! I would remark that it seems like adding a tech slot/socket would be the easiest and quickest way to give a significant usability boost and all, as I imagine the other ideas/changes would take more effort/time to develop. I say throw on the socket/tech slot for the immediate term and then roll from that point to the other ideas for short/medium term.

The Knight of Creation is actually the class that initially brought me back to Istaria, however once I got into the school I was sadly less than impressed. As you said Amon, the Sword and Shield are very cool, but predictable and boring abilities to get. However, I don't believe that just giving them sockets will REALLY make to much of a difference. It'll make the swords/shields viable comparatively with higher tier equipment, but it would just be a quick and boring fix.

I think that the sword and shield and whatever else ever gets made should be easily identifiable as higher quality than normal weaponry/equipment. This would make up for the lack of sockets, and still be fair to normal equipment.

I also really like Losian's idea of summonable armor. Some type of brilliant white armor that is very high quality and gives resistances similar to the shield. Along the same line, it'd be nice to have those white hooded tunics that some priests/priestesses of Istaria have, just to look cool and add to RP.

Also, the Blessing of Istaria ability could be improved, make it so that we can give it to others, perhaps as a smaller blessing. Or make it a group buff in an area around the KnoC similar to the Druid auras. Perhaps make the blessing available at more levels and spread it out through more levels.

Perhaps some more KnoC specific melee abilities?
    -Swords of Istaria: A faster CD multi-strike at less damage.
    -Superior Defend Other: A more potent defend other ability.
    -Istaria's Protection: A medium CD bonus to block or parry
    -ETC.

If you change the visual's I'd like to see multiple sword/shield options. Personally (and I imagine I can't be the only one) I'd rather not have a katana be the summoned sword.

I'm really excited at the idea of the KnoC having a re-vamp or just a polish. I hope something comes to fruition!
    -Quiiliitiila

Also, another innocent question, because I really don't know how it works or really how large (or small) the team is, but if hypothetically you were to come up with abilities and set about re-vamping the class (or any class) how long would it take?

Also, I need to clarify, the hooded tunics I spoke of are worn by the Istarian acolytes on the Spirit Isle and I think somewhere else in the game as well. They are White hooded robes that would look quite nice on any Istaria worshipper!

Yup,
    -Q

Quote Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila View Post
    ....I think that the sword and shield and whatever else ever gets made should be easily identifiable as higher quality than normal weaponry/equipment. This would make up for the lack of sockets, and still be fair to normal equipment....
    This might be the better way to go.

The summoned shield/sword, if they had sockets, would be nice. But what happens to the crystals in them, once they are dispelled?

You cannot equip a crystal into an equipped weapon/shield, and to my knowledge, the summoned sword and shield cannot be unequipped and placed in inventory. Therefore, there would be no way to utilize a socket if they had one. And if there was a way to put something in the socket, what about the crystal if the user say, got disconnected, or dispelled the item forgetting to unsocket the crystal? I don't think I would be brave enough to stick say the Frozen spellshard, dim crystal of might, misty crystal in one of these summoned items...

Better solution is to just improve the existing stats.

And the ability to pick a few different options, for say the "3rd tech" would be nice.

So, one option could be +14 damage against undead, +100 Dexterity, +100 Blight ward (something of a mix of the weapon techs from eastern outpost quests).

Another option could be +100 Ice skill, converts damage to ice (knoc can use conjurors' ice spells), +20% spell alacrity.

A third could be +10% chance, extra 200 to 400 flame damage (direct), with additional chance to land a flame DOT (50 to 100 damage per tick for 60 seconds, every 10 seconds) (as a replacement for the standard fare radiant damage crystals).

Think up 3 or 4 possibilities, to replace the possible desired effects someone might have wanted to gain via socket/crystal.

Then, the way those are chosen from, could simply be various alternate summoned weapons. A flaming looking sword for the last example with the added flame damage/dot. An icy looking sword with a different blade style and a frosty fog effect for the ice damage version. The first suggestion could use the existing summoned sword appearance.

Another way to choose the added effect could be the other suggestion I believe someone posted, where the additional effects are a secondary summoned effect, that adds to the existing sword. I like the idea of more designs myself. And there are some existing, cool looking swords that could be drawn from to implement the additional summoned weapons. Sword of embers could be used as the base for the flame damage sword. A recolored sword of rending, made to look icy, could become the ice damage sword. If the additional damage effects were separately summoned, would it be possible to use those with existing swords that already had other nice crystals equipped? If so then using that method might get overpowered. Better to make it an all in one summoned item imho. Plus gives more visual choices, and to me that makes the class more interesting and unique in addition to the cool extra damage effects.

Some additional shields could also be added, smaller one with higher block, +1 hand slash skill. Medium with less block, + flame skill. Large with no block, + ice skill, + mind skill. Dev's could figure out the appropriate values. The small could be the existing style summoned shield appearance. The medium could add a flaming effect. The large could add the ice effect. They could be physically varied sizes, or even all the same size, just the varying effects and appearance/texture.

If they add these newer summoned weapons and shields, I think it would be nice if they were quested for. Multiple tiers of these options could be added, or they could be added as a big single quest the knoc could only get at say lvl 98 (when you gain the last version of summoned weapons) and then you can also quest for these other choices. This way its a single quest, no lower tiers of the items have to be implemented, and it's something a new knoc would have to look forward to once they finished the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Another way to choose the added effect could be the other suggestion I believe someone posted, where the additional effects are a secondary summoned effect, that adds to the existing sword. I like the idea of more designs myself. And there are some existing, cool looking swords that could be drawn from to implement the additional summoned weapons. Sword of embers could be used as the base for the flame damage sword. A recolored sword of rending, made to look icy, could become the ice damage sword. If the additional damage effects were separately summoned, would it be possible to use those with existing swords that already had other nice crystals equipped? If so then using that method might get overpowered. Better to make it an all in one summoned item imho. Plus gives more visual choices, and to me that makes the class more interesting and unique in addition to the cool extra damage effects...
    This is a pretty good idea I imagine, from a design standpoint. Perhaps have some kind of buff spell/ability which does a check for the summoned sword/shield being in hand and, as a result of that, be able to be applied so as to prevent players from using it with the non-summoned weapons. I feel as though it should be pretty much required to use the KNoC weapons for these ideas, else it'd defeat the point (though may also make a need for an 'end-game' type summon or two that's epic-spell/quested/something like that, so that a high level KNoC doesn't get a 'free ride' on something especially powerful.)

You'd either have to have a TON of abilities to summon a huge variety of weapons/shields, or some novel way to pick and choose what it is has after summoning, I'd imagine, and I'm not sure what the best method would be considering Istaria's tech. Or, maybe.. A set of abilities which checks for the summoned being equipped, then applies a scale-able effect that scales with summoning skill.. So like, 'Flame effect' or 'skill boost' would be applied and, based on your summoning or some other metric (which would thus scale with KNoC level, or maybe an ability gained at X/Y/Z levels) it would scale up.. Just to avoid having a dozen ranked abilities that all serve the same purpose, just across different tiers. Instead a handful which apply an affect across all levels with a scaling mechanic, and which can be introduced gradually so that newer KNoCs can feel out each one as they go and have more options open up for mix/matching once possible. I imagine being able to have 1/2/3 active at once concurrent with the appropriate tiers, unlocked by some KNoC passive perhaps.. And of course you'd want some better names for the abilities (Like perhaps 'Keen Edge' for the skill boost, Imbue (type) for elements, etc.)

i.e. you'd summon your sword, then up to level X apply one affect (aka in place of a tech slot) and then from level X to Y you can apply two and then finally three, with the effects scaling based on some other KNoC-level-based metric to keep it a smooth-ish curve. This would kinda shift the KNoC into a feel of "make what you need when you need it" with a high level of situational flexibility, which is an interesting mechanic and promotes knowing more about what you're going to be hunting/doing so as to configure your items appropriately.

That said, it seems like a quick consensus is: definitely more variety in the summoned sword/shield, definitely higher quality (something at least equivalent to tech/socket's "worth") summoned stuff so it's completely viable, and some unique/different appearances would rock.

I still think something along the lines of thinking of the old 'starter mark' spell would be super awesome, though maybe things such as full-summoned armor would be a bit garish and, furthermore, would start to step on the crafting side of thing more than KNoC already would with summonables made more viable, so maybe just in the form of various buffs that are unusual, self only, etc. (parry/block buffs, % chance for extra damages or damage shield on hit? That seems to be the summoning magic theme, after all)
    Last edited by Losian; March 17th, 2014 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Losian View Post
    …though maybe things such as full-summoned armor would be a bit garish and, furthermore, would start to step on the crafting side of thing more than KNoC already would with summonables made more viable, so maybe just in the form of various buffs that are unusual, self only, etc. (parry/block buffs, % chance for extra damages or damage shield on hit? That seems to be the summoning magic theme, after all)
    I disagree, if summonable armor were to be implemented I'd say that it could function just as the summonable items. That is to say the armor could be very high quality, higher quality than normal crafted armor, but still be unable to be teched and socketed. That way, crafters and other non-KnoCs wouldn't have their toes stepped on TOO much and they'll still have the added utility of techs and sockets. The one thing that a KnoC's summonable armor would have on the crafted armor would be base armor points and perhaps added resists like the shield.

I would also like to see the KnoC get some party buffs, instead of keeping it the rather "solo" class that it is. Currently none of the abilities that I know of are team oriented, their big buff (Blessing of Istaria) is self only and of course their summonable items are self only as well. As I proposed before hand, I think making the Blessing of Istaria an AoE centered on the player like Druid auras would be quite cool and allow KnoCs to help out their party members. The Blessing of Istaria should also be granted at a MUCH lower level than it is now, with a steady progression.

I think instead of making the KnoC into another toe to toe fighter, the KnoC could become more of a "secondary" fighter who uses different abilities and blessings granted by Istaria to increase their own abilities in combat and help out their group. Perhaps a passive block bonus granted to group members within an AoE?

I'm not sure, but I'd rather not see just another fighter type that focuses on one on one fighting without any group abilities.

-Q

Quote Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila View Post
    I disagree, if summonable armor were to be implemented I'd say that it could function just as the summonable items. That is to say the armor could be very high quality, higher quality than normal crafted armor, but still be unable to be teched and socketed. That way, crafters and other non-KnoCs wouldn't have their toes stepped on TOO much and they'll still have the added utility of techs and sockets. The one thing that a KnoC's summonable armor would have on the crafted armor would be base armor points and perhaps added resists like the shield.

I would also like to see the KnoC get some party buffs, instead of keeping it the rather "solo" class that it is. Currently none of the abilities that I know of are team oriented, their big buff (Blessing of Istaria) is self only and of course their summonable items are self only as well. As I proposed before hand, I think making the Blessing of Istaria an AoE centered on the player like Druid auras would be quite cool and allow KnoCs to help out their party members. The Blessing of Istaria should also be granted at a MUCH lower level than it is now, with a steady progression.

I think instead of making the KnoC into another toe to toe fighter, the KnoC could become more of a "secondary" fighter who uses different abilities and blessings granted by Istaria to increase their own abilities in combat and help out their group. Perhaps a passive block bonus granted to group members within an AoE?

I'm not sure, but I'd rather not see just another fighter type that focuses on one on one fighting without any group abilities.

-Q
    It's a fair point! It really depends how much the devs want to potentially step on toes of the crafting side of things - make a class that's arguably all but independent in terms of armor-giving equipment when none of the others are, or not? I could see it going either way, just depends on what aim the devs have for that, and how much it might go against any design visions. That said, I'd worry this would still leave them mostly looking flashy and fancy with some neat gear, but nothing beyond that in terms of gameplay, and might would prefer more effort go into redefining their play style and such rather than expanding their summon-able gear beyond sword/shield in a remarkable fashion. Just my two cents!

I had an idle thought of a starting KNoC receiving quests every X levels for a book of recipes which, combined with their ingenuity, would make self-made gear, the materials which they would summon using abilities granted at each 'tier' perhaps, maybe combined with tech drops as is or some such.. kinda round about, but it'd allow for tech-able/socketed summoned stuff that fully scales, if in a kinda strange way. Just trying to figure out ways to finagle thoughts into Istaria's systems without requiring a jillion fiddlings.

I also kinda agree with regards to the role of the KNoC - something a bit more hybridized or mid-line would be interesting, I especially would love to see lots of focus on their ability to use summoning magic, whether by merit of abilities that compliment it or spells that help it work better. And group abilities are always nice! More stuff to encourage folks to actually play the school, for sure.

Banish Armor increases damage for the entire group, by removing all armor on the target. This abilities only downside is the long recycle. But it can be very useful in a group. Pretty sure knoc can also use mastered mage/conj/wiz defensive group buffs Flame Defense effect, Ice Defense, Energy Defense, I even think Sorc gets one of these... They are all group aura's which buff the group.

Having 3 or 4 summonable weapons, vs 1, wouldn't be a huge deal as far as the array of things to choose from.

It would give you 4 different appearances as well. This would be a nice plus. it would make the class more interesting and appealing as well.

There is probably a way to make a summoned "buff" detect that the summoned sword is in place already.. but a knoc summons things, not buffs... Just seems to make more sense to summon from a selection of weapons, and they each look different and have different attributes.

There is probably a way to make a summoned "buff" detect that the summoned sword is in place already.. but a knoc summons things, not buffs... Just seems to make more sense to summon from a selection of weapons, and they each look different and have different attributes.
    I agree here, which is why, in my thought, you'd have the sword summoned already via the ability and apply the equivalent of techs/etc. via buffs, mostly a way to avoid having to have Sword 1/2/3/4 abilities for every single set of five levels. That's A LOT of abilities you're going to have to micromanage and create on top of what already exists! You'd only need one of each for every 5 levels, but it'd still make for a lot of clutter, though I suppose they could also have them replace the previous ones (but, again, still more work for the team to make some 80 new summoning abilities, rather than use the existing ones and create buffs that only can apply while the weapon is summoned that scale, for example.)

I definitely agree that having a few appearances would be great- maybe a couple for each tier, or maybe add a few more appearance options as you get to higher tiers for the sake of visual progression. Glad to see some more thoughts being posted here!

Banish Armor increases damage for the entire group, by removing all armor on the target. This abilities only downside is the long recycle. But it can be very useful in a group. Pretty sure knoc can also use mastered mage/conj/wiz defensive group buffs Flame Defense effect, Ice Defense, Energy Defense, I even think Sorc gets one of these... They are all group aura's which buff the group.
    As far as I know, only Ice Hammer/Flame Spear and Shinning Blades were conjuration spells. If the KnoC were to multi-class mage to keep up with flame/ice/energy skill they could cast the spells you mentioned, however I think the issue we were discussing was that of KnoC being a boring class with little that actually kept people playing it aside from RP or coolness factor. When I say that KnoC has very little party oriented skills, it's because it is for the most part true in the fact that what skills they do have are intended for solo combat.

While Banish Armor may be a very decent skill, I think it's unfair to use it as an example of how KnoC is a good group oriented class. Banish Armor can be used as a group skill merely because of how it functions, a complete expelling of all armor on the target. This is best used on big bosses and other baddies, but it's long CD holds it back. However, this ability is equally suited to solo combat and because of it's single target nature, combined with the LOOOOOOONG CD speaks to me that it may be used as a group skill, but it isn't fair to call it one.

When I think of group abilities I think of things like (as I've said) Druid auras, Paladin auras, Healer auras, AoE spells, specific buffs like Cloak of Thorns and Glaring Quills (a conjuror skill, much like Cloak of Thorns). Any skill that *can* be used as a solo buff, but benefits more when used in a group would be ideal. Giving the KnoC some sort of aura would be perfect, make different blessings that could be bestowed on other, etc.

I do agree that different customization options would be fantastic, and I hope we'll see something like it. I really like the look of the shield as a translucent barrier, I always thought the sword should match.

-Q

Another thought - a summoning tech or two would be sweet! Say, increase chance for the triggered portion to occur, or maybe a chance for a second triggered effect, things like that come to mind off the top of my head - it'd also stir things up a touch for any other class also able to use the same summoning spells (as far as I know, since for example flame spear is typed 'pierce' it can't be augmented with any flame techs, so it's sorta out in the cold.) I think some of the smaller percent change things like romp or pierce can be used on some, but they are a fairly small chance (25%) for fairly low damage a quarter of the time, while flame damage is a steady +2, for example.

Anyway, just an idea - there may be more to it such that the pierce and other kinda equal out with how the damage numbers work, but I just noticed there don't seem to be a lot of techs usable on summon spells!

Come to think of it.. Maybe just more summoning spells, period? I seem to recall there's only like.. two or three? It's a neat aspect of KNoC and it'd also benefit other summoning-capable schools nicely to flesh that out a bit more.

Ok my main Class is KnoC I adore this class but yes its a little dull. I switched to it because its a front line fighter whereas the battlemage is more a secondary.

first thought.. grant summonable armour - (it doesn't replace your armour but adds a buff with a visable effect)I envisage the look to overlay whatever armour your currently wearing making it have the shimmering aspect that the sword and shield do.(like a skin or a dye kit) and have a have a starting say 3% warding effect at level 25ish and have various teirs leading up to perhaps a 9% this could either be all damage or damage type based perhaps with different types unlocking as you go up in level

Summonable two handed sword - YES PLEASE it is afterall one of the skills knocs use alot

Shinning blades - RE VAMP its a great looking spell but its too weak to be considered epic

summonable pets - Hear me out.. Ok i understand that pets cannot contribute directly to combat but how about one that once summoned applies a buff to the whole party... perhaps a very small one that looks kinda fairy dragon like applies say 2 DPS to entire party Or a "micro Golem" that applies 10% (slash resist) resists to the entire party a small fyakki that does something else... they all have the ethereal overlay look that the current swords/shields have

And yes MORE SUMMON spells

Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    Ok my main Class is KnoC I adore this class but yes its a little dull. I switched to it because its a front line fighter whereas the battlemage is more a secondary.
    Nice to see some people stick it out! Do you use the summoned Shield/Sword, or do you use better teched/socketed ones?

first thought.. grant summonable armour - (it doesn't replace your armour but adds a buff with a visable effect)I envisage the look to overlay whatever armour your currently wearing making it have the shimmering aspect that the sword and shield do.(like a skin or a dye kit) and have a have a starting say 3% warding effect at level 25ish and have various teirs leading up to perhaps a 9% this could either be all damage or damage type based perhaps with different types unlocking as you go up in level
    I like your take on summonable armor, instead of actual armor values, use it to supplement the existing armor of the Knights. I'd propose an in-between, make summonable armor give a moderate armor bonus (enough to make a difference, but not enough to be considered a replacement for existing armor). Perhaps something like the armor value of a leveled chest piece and then some sort of pierce/slash/crush ward. Perhaps something like 10 per tier? So the first tier would be around 20-25th level, would grant 30ish armor and 10 resists to pierce/slash/crush.

Summonable two handed sword - YES PLEASE it is afterall one of the skills knocs use alot

Shinning blades - RE VAMP its a great looking spell but its too weak to be considered epic

summonable pets - Hear me out.. Ok i understand that pets cannot contribute directly to combat but how about one that once summoned applies a buff to the whole party... perhaps a very small one that looks kinda fairy dragon like applies say 2 DPS to entire party Or a "micro Golem" that applies 10% (slash resist) resists to the entire party a small fyakki that does something else... they all have the ethereal overlay look that the current swords/shields have

And yes MORE SUMMON spells
    Summonable pet buffs would be interesting, but it could be accomplished without the pets if they cannot be made by just using auras like the paladin/druid.

More summon spells would be nice, but really I'd like to see some KnoC specific skills first before the summon spells are re-vamped.

-Quiiliitiila

Thread Information