Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk to the Team: Knight of Creation

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Knight of Creation

There are only 3 summoning spells, Shining Blades the epic looking not epic spell, Ice Hammer, and Flame Spear.

It does seem awfully weak. However, Knoc can use all the arcane spells, so flame spells, Ice spells, Energy spells, mind spells.

Once you multiclass mage, sorc, wiz, conj, knoc becomes a plate armor wearing mage. It's very powerful.

I like the idea of a summoned pet that gives a buff. So it would just sit in your effects window. Not sure it the tech exists to create a visible pet. But if it did I think that's a cool idea. Maybe just a slowly rotating about the player effect... would give the appearance of a pet without necessarily being a pet object. Would just be a graphic effect. If the effect was like an animation effect that played for 10 minutes before it started over, it could mimic being an actual pet. Pattern wouldn't be obvious.

In my opinion a "knight of creation" doesn't say "pets," but that's just my take. It's about creating items and effects, not living beings, to assist in his/her knightly endeavors!

As for the multiclassing, the problem with that is it turns the knight of creation into a battlemage, it's a fair point, but I still think that summoning having a mere two spells is a bit crazy low, even if KNoC also has access to other magey spells, unless you wanna main magey spells (at which point all the summoned weapons and stuff are moot, as you'd probably wanna wield/wear tech'd stuff more for casting) they probably won't be bread and butter. I just saw it as access to potential debuffing/extra spells as a side bonus, not a "this makes up for only having two spells that your class's skills will keep up with." At the very least it seems like there should be a slashing type, to go with the blunt/pierce, and a bit more flavor to them. It just isn't an interesting school of spells by any stretch.

Again, just my opinion. Something "pet" like of a floating weapon or whatnot maybe, but even then I just don't *feel* like Knight of Creation is about animating entities near as much as things.

Quote Originally Posted by Losian View Post
    In my opinion a "knight of creation" doesn't say "pets," but that's just my take. It's about creating items and effects, not living beings, to assist in his/her knightly endeavors!

As for the multiclassing, the problem with that is it turns the knight of creation into a battlemage, it's a fair point, but I still think that Again, just my opinion. Something "pet" like of a floating weapon or whatnot maybe, but even then I just don't *feel* like Knight of Creation is about animating entities near as much as things.
    That was just an idea to kick about to make the knight of creation different... to be fair the pet would possibly be more in line with conjuror... the point is its something new... and DIFFERENT.. dunno if its possible..

As for the sword.. its base stats at lvl 100 are actually better than the tier 6 sword... just about.. but it does require something to give it ompfh.... how about a reasonable chance for it to deal X Random damage type (perhaps ethereal energy).. Dunno maybe
    2-3 at level 20...
    3-4 at level 40...
    4-5 at level 60...
    5-6 at level 80...
    6-6 at level 100...
    Or alternately make the energy type determined by choice.. energy sword..flame sword...perhaps one type unlocking every so many levels

also please lets not forget the shield... it also needs a buff to compete with the tier 5 or even tier 6 shields

again two handed energy katana would be very cool....

As for the summoning spell line

Firstly it needs a bolt.. Perhaps along the lines of the other summon spells split between Crush/slash/peirce (i'd say crush) and perhaps ICE since that's the conjurors best friend...

what about the pheonix ability that conjurors get (Allow KnOCs the full powered version at the highest levels)

Energized Axe - A Slash energy summon spell along the line of ice hammer and flaming spear...

perhaps partial access to the Elemental shards conjurors use but slightly limited or utilised differently

Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    ...As for the summoning spell line

Firstly it needs a bolt.. Perhaps along the lines of the other summon spells split between Crush/slash/peirce (i'd say crush) and perhaps ICE since that's the conjurors best friend...
    I have to disagree here.

What would the bolt do? Summoning damage?

All classes can use all bolts (with exception of Mind Bolt for Sorcerers, and Bloodbolt for Bloodmages). Knoc can use Spirit Bolt, Flame Bolt, Lightning Bolt, Ice Bolt (can tech with evasion debuff), Energy bolt (can tech with a stun).

I just don't see the point of another bolt along those lines, when all the above are already in game and can be used.

In fact the usefulness of the Mind bolt they added, probably due to this same type of suggestion, brings nothing new to Sorcerer they don't already have. Maybe if it had a new, additional effect of some sort, then it might have been useful. As it is it's low damage, doesn't stun or mezz... who cares? It can be teched with Derange, and that tech doesn't stack with any other debuff of the same type (yet another issue still needing resolved). Almost the same things could be said about Bloodbolt, it's the same as spirit bolt, but more powerful at least, but hurts the player when used (Blood Magic is bad stuff).

Not to just jump all over the suggesstion... Say if it had a new damage type, that a bazillion t5/t6 mobs weren't resistant to, then it might also be a nice, useful spell, that brought something new to the table. Maybe give it a flying knives appearance and do Pierce damage.. at least the damage type would be new to bolts. But even this feels sorta plain, but at least it fits with "Summoning". 50 delay (slow for a bolt) but does 700 damage per hit.

Think of something new it could do, then it might be worth putting in.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    What would the bolt do? Summoning damage?
    Think of something new it could do, then it might be worth putting in.
    I beleive I already said something different .. like the other summon spells (hammer and spear) it splits its damage... although.. pierce for a bolt... isn't that just another word for arrow.

Ohhh and using the excuse of "this spell which is similiar was badly implemented so lets not try anything like it again" is a pretty poor excuse and strangles progression
    Last edited by Calyndrell; March 20th, 2014 at 07:01 PM.

Again, I must point out that the idea of trying to spruce up the class is to draw interest into it and make it so people WANT to play KnoC. I don't believe it's fair to say KnoC's can use other mage spells, because that REQUIRES them to multi-class in order to use them as they progress. I have nothing against multi-classing, but to make a class's supposed "benefits" require they in fact play another class is ridiculous.

The point of re-vamping or adding abilities to this class is so that it can be self-sufficient. That is to say people can play it, without the NEED or even the non-spoken consensus to go into another class first. If someone wants to go into KnoC and ride it up to 100, they should be allowed to do that. However, as it stands the class is overwhelmingly dull and gets boring quickly. How can we fix that without just telling people to multi-class?

Well, to start we need to add some more summoning spells. The KnoC only gains points in Conjuration as they level, they shouldn't be forced to level mage or something else to gain access to other spells.

Then the class' primary abilities (Summon Sword/Shield of Creation/Blessing of Istaria) need to be re-worked. Whether this entails just upping the damage to equal or output the best crafted weapons, adding sockets, adding special effects, allowing the blessing to be given out, etc… It just needs to be done.

After that the class needs some new abilities. Not MANY, but currently what? The KnoC has 4 unique abilities? The two summons, the blessing and banish armor? Wow… Exciting. We've all suggested some very nice ideas: blessings/auras, summonable armor, some forms of pets, new summonable gear, etc. Whatever they may be, we need new abilities.

Again, I must reiterate that we should be working towards making the class fun to play and make it so people don't feel obligated to multi-class in order to be good.

-Q

Not everything needs to be 100% new. I think a lot of players view Istaria *purely* from the "i have level 100warrior/cleric/whatever, so why bother with X?" and, while that's a way that some people may play, not everyone does, or wants to, play that way, much less be forced to.

If someone wanted to play a mind focused character a *mind* bolt was a necessity. Just because they may also have access to ice or fire bolt does not mean it was worthless to put in. Same goes for summoning - this isn't about adding something new and astounding that everyone will want to jump the bandwagon on, this is about making KNoC stand on its own, because it simply doesn't at present. This is about adding things new to the class, not necessarily taking into account what a level 100 in a dozen other schools could do with it that would be amazing for them, but what would make it actually viable and *fun* on its own right. I mean, by that logic, we may as well remove half the schools and let everyone use swords and fire bolts and just be done with it.

New players aren't all going to hop in istaria, grind to 100 in three or four "must have", and *then* play the school they actually want to play.. that's a terrible hurdle that some people simply will not bother to try with and, in my opinion, shouldn't have to. It's the double-edged nature of any multi-classing system that's relatively unrestricted and creates, ironically, a very restrictive environment.

Some people play characters based on what's good or best, some play based on feel. If someone likes the 'feel' of KNoC, they aren't going to want to play a half dozen other classes to 100 they don't like just so they can use it, while someone on the 'whats good' side just won't play KNoC at all.

Istaria has a great variety of schools, a lot of them just need some more depth. In some cases that means adding similar things, but that's not bad. Smash and Power Attack are "the same." Rejuvenating Breeze and Regrowth are "the same." But they have different flavors and exist in different contexts for different reasons - RPGs at heart are all about the aesthetic. There's intrinsically no difference between shooting an arrow, a bolt of fire, or a holy poof, but it *feels* different. One person is imagining their character looking down the bow firing with dead-eye aim, the other is summoning elemental forces from other planes, and the last is channeling a pure and divine faith that could move mountains - that's why we need a dozen things that do the "same thing," they *feel* different, and that's absolutely key to making classes unique and fun on their own.

That tangent aside, I see a lot of good thoughts here! A summoning spell for slash would be a great start, and would give Conjurors a nod as well. Some abilities akin to theirs ( in spirit, don't wanna dilute their newly-adjusted neat stuff! ) would be interesting. A 2h sword would also be pretty cool and some definite oomph to the summons so they are absolutely viable at least at any tier!

The gist seems to be that first and foremost, the sword/shield need to be *good*, a 2h would be great, some new summoning spells would be neat, maybe summonable armor (not even replacing actual armor-items per say as much as buffs or some such perhaps), effects that play the "summoning" feel (% chance for added damage, effects, etc. of the summony variety), and a more animated-weapon or item type "pet" (though i wonder the ease of implementing this, especially with the pet system being new.. and do we want to be towing around three or four things behind us in a conga line?)

I also think really pushing the %-chance for stuff would be a neat mechanic, abilities with %chance damage shield, added damage on swing, maybe after a block (with the shield use and all), or things of that nature. It seems to be the original vision of "summoning" in Istaria and has a neat feel to it

Quote Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila View Post
    Again, I must point out that the idea of trying to spruce up the class is to draw interest into it and make it so people WANT to play KnoC.
    Agreed.

I don't believe it's fair to say KnoC's can use other mage spells, because that REQUIRES them to multi-class in order to use them as they progress. I have nothing against multi-classing, but to make a class's supposed "benefits" require they in fact play another class is ridiculous.

The point of re-vamping or adding abilities to this class is so that it can be self-sufficient. That is to say people can play it, without the NEED or even the non-spoken consensus to go into another class first. If someone wants to go into KnoC and ride it up to 100, they should be allowed to do that. However, as it stands the class is overwhelmingly dull and gets boring quickly. How can we fix that without just telling people to multi-class?

Well, to start we need to add some more summoning spells. The KnoC only gains points in Conjuration as they level, they shouldn't be forced to level mage or something else to gain access to other spells.
    The feel of Knoc to me, is that of a sword user who summons cool swords and shields.

Look at Knoc's abilities...
    Multistrike
    Power Strike
    Critical Strike
    Co-ordinated Strike
    Melee Flurry
    Defend Other
    Power Style
    Evasive Style

Can wear Plate armor

...There's no reason knoc should even have or need spells at all imho.

Shining Blades works in the game the way spells do, but you are summoning a warrior from another realm to attack on your behalf, then go back where he came from. Even the lore of this is not a "spell". Shining Blades may work like a spell as far as the game engine goes, but you should not think of it as a spell. It cannot even be multi"cast"ed. One more exclamation in the "this isn't a spell" story.

The other 2 "spells" fit into the same category. The use summoning skill, game engine treats them in the same way as spells. Lore wise they are not spells. I summoned a big crushing Ice Hammer. It's a physical item landing on my target. I agree the line here is blurry...

And if the player wants spells.., there is a large amount of magey spells they can obtain if they work for them.
    I don't see the need for the class to have it's own spells. Don't think of summoning skill as "spell"-skill.

A few more abilities that "work like spells" I do think would be ok... Maybe my first reaction to more spells was seeing some above suggestions differently than they were intended. Although I still think a bolt is entirely not needed. No other melee class get's it's own bolt.

Then the class' primary abilities (Summon Sword/Shield of Creation/Blessing of Istaria) need to be re-worked. Whether this entails just upping the damage to equal or output the best crafted weapons, adding sockets, adding special effects, allowing the blessing to be given out, etc… It just needs to be done.
    Agreed. Leve 100 knoc's summoned weapons should be as good as Epic/t6 weapons or exceed them in some way. And having multiple ones to choose from would really be great, especially if they each had some different effects and properties. This alone makes the class a viable choice, interesting to play.

After that the class needs some new abilities. Not MANY, but currently what? The KnoC has 4 unique abilities? The two summons, the blessing and banish armor? Wow… Exciting. We've all suggested some very nice ideas: blessings/auras, summonable armor, some forms of pets, new summonable gear, etc. Whatever they may be, we need new abilities.

Again, I must reiterate that we should be working towards making the class fun to play and make it so people don't feel obligated to multi-class in order to be good.

-Q
    Agreed. If one or two take the form of spells, that's fine too. We have a flaming spear, and icey hammer, a warrior from another realm, what's missing would be an electric charged Hatchet (thrown)(Energy damage). That could be a spell formula with a few techs available. Think of one or 2 more, which summon physical items that do melee damage, but can work like spells, I think would be good. No bolt tho :P

...There's no reason knoc should even have or need spells at all imho.

Shining Blades works in the game the way spells do, but you are summoning a warrior from another realm to attack on your behalf, then go back where he came from. Even the lore of this is not a "spell". Shining Blades may work like a spell as far as the game engine goes, but you should not think of it as a spell. It cannot even be multi"cast"ed. One more exclamation in the "this isn't a spell" story.

The other 2 "spells" fit into the same category. The use summoning skill, game engine treats them in the same way as spells. Lore wise they are not spells. I summoned a big crushing Ice Hammer. It's a physical item landing on my target. I agree the line here is blurry...

And if the player wants spells.., there is a large amount of magey spells they can obtain if they work for them.
    I don't see the need for the class to have it's own spells. Don't think of summoning skill as "spell"-skill.

A few more abilities that "work like spells" I do think would be ok... Maybe my first reaction to more spells was seeing some above suggestions differently than they were intended. Although I still think a bolt is entirely not needed. No other melee class get's it's own bolt.
    I stand corrected, and I agree with you. I think we should just scrap KnoC being able to cast other mage spells and restrict it to Summoning. However, the summoning line needs a bit of work too! After consideration of your post(s) I'll agree that perhaps a typical "bolt" spell wouldn't work for conjuration. However, a short CD longish range spell would be nice, along perhaps with some type of AoE spell. Not many, but enough to be useful and not distracting from melee.

I think we should just scrap KnoC being able to cast other mage spells and restrict it to Summoning.
    Just my 2 cents...
    I'm not usually one to pick a tiny part of a long string of great posts and complain... but this drew my eye.
    In short, HECK NO! I don't think for a moment the devs would even act upon this bit, but no, absolutely no. Any changes should be for the better and I don't believe this would in any way improve KNOC's by removing their ability to cast other spell types. No other school has this limitation, so why should KNOC's all of a sudden have this very restrictive nature?

I think the focus should remain on the their abilities and as the discussion has so far primarily related to Summoning-type abilities, I think it's best to keep the attention there.

Other types of summonable weapons and armor, heck yes! But exactly how that would work in regards to weapon skills might need some thought... not sure there's much use in giving KNOC's a summonable pierced weapon if they get no 1-hand pierce skill? A summoned 2-handed weapon that looks like the katana would be awesome.

As it's been pointed out, most of their other abilities are Warrior related (multi-strike, critical strike, etc), so I think summonable 'buffs' should also lean towards this thinking. Perhaps making the Blessing of Istaria a group buff/aura might be an easy and effective change. Or introduce some new group-orientated buffs? Certainly having some different buffs to offset the lack of sockets for the armor and weapons would be nice. I think it's odd that KNOC doesn't receive any passive stat/skill bonuses like most other "warrior" type schools e.g. Paladin receives Champion's Form, Warrior gets Weapon Master and Health Boost, even Chaos Warrior gets Weapon Master.

I do like the idea of having the Summoning line of spells increased, but whether that is focus of the devs for this discussion is yet to be seen.

I wouldn't be opposed to a new Shinning Blades type ability that would be separate to the spell, and only available to KNOC's. (Make them share 100% timer if there's any concerns of over-powering... the SB spell is pretty poop, I think we can universally agree on that). Could be introduced as a nice 'epic' questline, similar to Burning Archer.

Some great suggestions so far, and a robust discussion indeed :)
    Looking forward to any improvements ;)
    Last edited by hallucin8; March 21st, 2014 at 04:01 AM.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Oh and please make Shining Blades hit for about 1500. Right now it hits for like 350 :/

Oh and please make Shining Blades hit for about 1500. Right now it hits for like 350 :/
    Agreed... or/and seperate it from volcano and Dark Cyclone

Quote Originally Posted by hallucin8 View Post
    Just my 2 cents...
    I'm not usually one to pick a tiny part of a long string of great posts and complain... but this drew my eye.
    In short, HECK NO! I don't think for a moment the devs would even act upon this bit, but no, absolutely no. Any changes should be for the better and I don't believe this would in any way improve KNOC's by removing their ability to cast other spell types. No other school has this limitation, so why should KNOC's all of a sudden have this very restrictive nature?
    Oh I know, I was just ruminating on the topic. I figured if there were to be an expansion on the summoning line, it might be "neat" to make the KnoC into a highly specialized summoning/fighter class without the rigmarole of the other spell lines getting in the way. Is it a good idea… Probably not, just as you said. Just throwing it out there.

-Q

These are some very good ideas. I did want to back up those who said that KnoC was more of a blade/shield/armor type of school, not a spellcasting type of school. I always saw it more akin to Paladin, a heavily armored warrior, but with temporary equipment.

The one difficulty with adding more item appearances and types is that each ability can only specify 1 type. So, sword with appearance A. If we wanted a sword with appearance B we'd have to create another ability. The other problem is that the school needs weapon abilities every 5 levels, meaning at least 16 for each weapon/shield/armor type plus a matching buff. That gets very time-consuming and feels like a lot of database bloat to me.

However, this does get me thinking that maybe the Knoc could summon regular items and then have abilities to build from those. So, perhaps Player_A summons his Blade of Creation II. While that is active he can use an ability called "Fiery Blade" or "Energized Blade" that gives another buff that provides additional enhancement. Layering effects onto the weapon in a way. In fact, I think that might work well and allow for more flexibility. Not sure if we could alter the appearance of the weapon though since the buff wouldn't really be on the item, but rather on the character.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Is they anyway KNOC can have the weapon removed while equipping or trying to equip a tool so have to not manually remove it when you want to go back to crafting?
    OK the old sig was too long , this one is better.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    These are some very good ideas. I did want to back up those who said that KnoC was more of a blade/shield/armor type of school, not a spellcasting type of school. I always saw it more akin to Paladin, a heavily armored warrior, but with temporary equipment.

The one difficulty with adding more item appearances and types is that each ability can only specify 1 type. So, sword with appearance A. If we wanted a sword with appearance B we'd have to create another ability. The other problem is that the school needs weapon abilities every 5 levels, meaning at least 16 for each weapon/shield/armor type plus a matching buff. That gets very time-consuming and feels like a lot of database bloat to me.

However, this does get me thinking that maybe the Knoc could summon regular items and then have abilities to build from those. So, perhaps Player_A summons his Blade of Creation II. While that is active he can use an ability called "Fiery Blade" or "Energized Blade" that gives another buff that provides additional enhancement. Layering effects onto the weapon in a way. In fact, I think that might work well and allow for more flexibility. Not sure if we could alter the appearance of the weapon though since the buff wouldn't really be on the item, but rather on the character.
    That's pretty much spot-on to one of my suggestions - it was the easiest way I could see the game being able to implement a variety of effects/etc. without having to make a TON of new abilities. As long as the Sword/Shield are equipped, you have access to a subset of abilities which adjust their stats somehow (if these abilities somehow scaled with KNoC level it would also prevent the need to make a dozen versions of "energized weapon" or whatever, too!)

I also envision receiving more "enhancement slots", perhaps via passive, while leveling somewhat akin to gift slots. Thus a lower level KNoC can't just slap three things right from the start and go nuts, but a higher level doesn't have to make due with just one either.

It'd also allow for a lot of personality and tweaking of sorts - also, that way, if more weapon appearances were wanted it would just be a matter of having to make one single new line of sword summons, to which these same abilities could be applied. Seems the easiest way to implement a pretty broad change of functionality, to me!

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post

And whilst i agree with you on the visage of the "arcane paladin" lets remember that paladins can cast all mystic school spells

I like this idea... but couldn't it work similar to Flame weapon buff etc... since they apply the buff to the player but also alter appearance... also if sword/shield of creation was semi permanent this could allow them to be socketed... i would assume that the items would be attuned and restricted to KNoC class to use?? (perhaps have the shield be socketed but have the abilities aimed at the Sword offense style?)

And whilst i agree with you on the visage of the "arcane paladin" lets remember that paladins can cast all mystic school spells

I like this idea... but couldn't it work similar to Flame weapon buff etc... since they apply the buff to the player but also alter appearance... also if sword/shield of creation was semi permanent this could allow them to be socketed... i would assume that the items would be attuned and restricted to KNoC class to use?? (perhaps have the shield be socketed but have the abilities aimed at the Sword offense style?)
    A great point - it's mostly just that the summoning school is so extremely bare! Just a few more spells to flesh it out would be perfect.

As for the items, Amon's post seems to imply that item appearance, as far as the actual item model held in the character's name, isn't really modifiable via ability (else there could just be a set of appearance-swapping abilities) and, therefore, the effects that can be applied are only particle/spell effects, not model-changing ones. That is to say, when you cast flame attack the game probably calls up the flamey particle and attaches it to the sword's 3d model, it doesn't change the 3d model itself.
    Last edited by Losian; March 21st, 2014 at 07:36 PM.

Hm, true. Not sure about semi-permanent. Wouldn't be changing the nature of the summoned weapons, just giving them more features.

Some potential weapon effects:
    * Flaming (+Fire Damage)
    * Energized (+Energy Damage)
    * Blessed (+Damage Vs Undead?)
    * Weightless (Improves speed?)

Shield effects. Hm.
    * Hardened (+Block)
    * Dragon-skin (+Fire Resistance)
    * Glaciarized (bad name, I know, +Ice Resistance)
    * Sanctuary (+Heal on block?)
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure paladins cannot cast the full range of healing spells... But they can cast just about every other mystic spell.

I'll +1 to Amons idea/clarification that any new sword/amor abilities being buffs, but I'd still like to see a summoned 2 handed katana please :)

I'd like to see some, or at least one, of the shield buffs being group auras ;)

As much as I like those weapon buff suggestions, seems as though it might be 'too much'... Flame damage would be better suited to battlemage, energy for chaos warrior (magus style), undead for paladin (stand against the darkness), healing for healer (aura of health). Don't get me wrong, I love the suggestion, but it's almost as though other schools could diminish as a result. Perhaps something simpler, like convert damage to crush/pierce with addition DPS? Boring I know, it's 6am and I'm going back to sleep now :p

edit: no going back to sleep :( just wanted to add, we do want weapon buffs to account for the lack of techs/crystals, so those suggestion are in fact pretty good.
    Last edited by hallucin8; March 21st, 2014 at 08:41 PM.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Thread Information