Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Talk to the Team: Daily Quests

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Daily Quests

Quote Originally Posted by Arzel Rashemi View Post
    Azath and Calyndrell are actually correct Guaran. We have all been at reklar taking him down as much as 4 to 6 times a day for upward of six months. In that time we have gotten every other piece to drop except Tail Scale piece 3 and so far we have only ever seen (in the groups I have been with) one singular piece of Sash Piece 4 drop. And no one I know of, on order at least, has seen the Tail Scale Piece 3 drop at all in the last year or so. There are players who do have the complete tail scale, but they got it from long long ago. I don't know if something happened or changed, but it just highlights how important this issue is....
    Wow.

Well, a very good reason to switch to quests/tokens/vendors then.

I can think of 6 to 10 players over the years who have tails on Chaos.

But still, a more even way to reward all participants will be welcomed.

Here's what I'm getting out of this thread and the feedback.

1. Consider Crafting Dailies to obtain Formulas or other rare Crafting Tools
    2. Consider a Random System through which the Dailies you are offered each day can be different
    3. For Epics, still include a requirement that you hunt the actual Epic Boss before you can complete the Epic Item (e.g. Kill Valkor to complete a Bloodsword) (fyi, this is what we had intended based upon feedback in the Epic Loot thread)
    4. Consider ways to make the Daily Quests interesting (Not sure off-hand how to do this as it is a repeatable quest, but we'll see)
    5. Don't just consider Dailies, maybe also consider Weekly quests or quests that you can do up to a certain number of times each day/week
    6. Don't just consider Daily Quests for epic/old items, consider hybrid systems (for the record, that is what we're looking at for Epics)

For those who have said they don't like Daily Quests at all, we do understand your concerns. However, as others have pointed out, no viable solutions for obtaining these old/epic items in a fair and balanced way has been presented over the last several years.
    Last edited by AmonGwareth; March 27th, 2014 at 01:36 PM.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I was kind of hanging back from posting here as I felt it was a little too vague on what the plans were, and how the dailies were implemented can make-or-break it for me. With what Amon just posted as an outline, I will say that I am liking the way the use of dailies seems to be planned, and item 5 especially piqued my interest as being a more unique take on the daily quest idea.

My only concerns would be:
    1. Make sure that the item rewards are not required to be able to function in the game. Make them desirable, but not needed, to avoid the "chore" mentality others posted concerns about.
    2. Don't let the rewards be randomized. It seems like its going to be a token system to trade for whatever specific item you want, which is great. I just don't like the idea of investing time to have only a chance at getting what you want, with no control over it.

Hopefully my concerns make sense, but please let me know if either is confusing. Its lunchtime (so I'm hungry) and I'm about to go to my office hours as a TA and do some grading, so I'm not fully focused right now.
    Chaos: Xingolos PlagueWind (31 Hatchling: 23)---Cilok Magmaborn (retired Lunus Ancient: 100/100/60)---Turacegos Blizzardwing (20 Hatchling: 19)---Bilkur Tinkerton (Gnome adjusting to life on Spirit Isle)

Cilok, I think which daily quest you get each day is random, not the reward so you dont do just one for weeks to get something, but the reward is still the same reward for completion.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Here's what I'm getting out of this thread and the feedback.

2. Consider a Random System through which the Dailies you are offered each day can be different
    3. For Epics, still include a requirement that you hunt the actual Epic Boss before you can complete the Epic Item (e.g. Kill Valkor to complete a Bloodsword) (fyi, this is what we had intended based upon feedback in the Epic Loot thread)
    4. Consider ways to make the Daily Quests interesting (Not sure off-hand how to do this as it is a repeatable quest, but we'll see)
    5. Don't just consider Dailies, maybe also consider Weekly quests or quests that you can do up to a certain number of times each day/week
    6. Don't just consider Daily Quests for epic/old items, consider hybrid systems (for the record, that is what we're looking at for Epics)

For those who have said they don't like Daily Quests at all, we do understand your concerns. However, as others have pointed out, no viable solutions for obtaining these old/epic items in a fair and balanced way has been presented over the last several years.
    1. Yes! Please do this! *drools contemplating an epic tool claw*
    2. That could certainly make things more interesting rather than "Well better log in today to hunt 'x' once again to get 'y'." The one thing I would say to this is either make the quests doable alone (I.E. no epic mobs to hunt so no scrounging for a group daily) or if you throw epics into the mix, make the random quest the same across the board for everyone that day. Meaning that the randomly picked quest for that day is exactly the same for everyone who picks it up then the next day the quest changes. This would ensure that if something cannot be done solo then there WILL be a large number of people willing to hunt the mob.
    3. Wonderful, no complaints here.
    4. I'm sure you'll figure something out ;) Perhaps a good variety of quests to throw into the mix with some new lore for each one? *gives hatchie eyes*
    5. & 6. I'm certainly open to these suggestions but I can't say much more without further information.

For legacy items that can't currently be obtained, please make the requirements to gain these items as annoying as possible but still reasonable to do. At this point I'd be willing to sell my wings and tail to be able to make the old dragon techs myself (Only ever managed to scrounge up two single-teched Eminence scales). So pretty much any *cough* horror you can think of to go through to get these things I'd still do. Even if it's as lengthy as the quest to get Mental Bane and Volcano.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    I love the idea of crafting dailies - could be formulas, special crafting techs (like some of the current quest rewards), or cool tools - sounds awesome!

Could be interesting to consider construction dailies too - "I need 25 marble construction blocks." This could be another way to reintroduce some of the banners and other plot goodies?

For everyone's sanity, can we please just leave Epic weapons out of this completely, just for now until we've had a chance to see how these Dailies play out?

There's a pretty good suggestion that seems to have support regarding the epic loot.
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...oot-suggestion
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

I like the idea of being able to earn tokens toward choice of epic item, but do not want the hunts to feel like there is a daily limit - especially when some folks only get 1 day a week (or less) for serious hunting. Perhaps only the 1st epic hunt of the day gets the 'special' token (1 special per epic piece required), but regular tokens may be earned in additional hunts later on the same day?

As for daily craft quests... I like the master construction quests from the outpost. Could we get something like those for all tiers?

As I have just started here, I can't presume to know anything about the items/tokens, so I can't really touch that side of it. The basic fact that a game of this age is getting updates and the developer listens to the players is superb.

I don't care about the items, as far as I am concerned, all equipment does, is let me function in the next batch of content. What I care about is the playability. From what I recall about WoW (which someone badgered me into) was that the dailies were solo quests--it was a total chore, hurry up and log in and knock this out. Not very interesting, but I don't think this is headed that way. In Vanguard, the dailies were group quests, and I think that's what made my first guild rot. Essentially the hardcore players kept doing this amongst themselves and for the most part this kept them "behind the curtain"--newer players didn't get anything to do and just basically saw some smug clique ignoring them and I think I watched about four hundred people leave the game basically for that reason.

That's the difference I see between a quest and grinding. As a quest, it will tend to have the "we need to do this--we're busy doing this--we're done goodnight, oh did you want to play something and who are you? maybe next Tuesday at 3.15 in the afternoon" atmosphere. As a grind against a .0000001% drop rate, no you don't get the "results are in" from completing something, it just seems more open and free flowing.

I'm not really trying to argue against the use of dailies; my second guild handled it much better. The point is that if it's time consuming or the most important thing to do, then that pretty much is what your game becomes, and then to get new players involved, you'd need old players willing to repeat it for no credit. If it was me, I'd totally repeat it, but the chances of me being useful for anything big in Istaria isn't going to come around by Tuesday. It's hard to be specific as I'm just describing herd mentality, but I'd rather not watch four people alienate four hundred again. When people quit, it's usually not after a deep conversation addressing the issues.

The suggestion on randomizing the kill target is a good one. I'd add a 30% chance for some arbitrary, meaningless rule -- "This group requires an elf of minimum level 90"; "You must defeat the boss at 100% encumberance"; "You must be bound to Parsinia", just because.

Quote Originally Posted by alizarinblaze View Post
    The suggestion on randomizing the kill target is a good one. I'd add a 30% chance for some arbitrary, meaningless rule -- "This group requires an elf of minimum level 90"; "You must defeat the boss at 100% encumberance"; "You must be bound to Parsinia", just because.
    And now you have the other problem of small community and lots of races, some races get less interest (dryads satyrs) and meaningless rules equals meaningless hastle... although that said a small amount of hastle might be interesting... for example if you had to kill them only using flame damage or without any gifts on any party members something like that could make things interesting...

some of the ideas for situational restrictions I could think of are as follows:

1. Only/not using a certain type of damage (the mob could either be completely immune or even heal from that type of damage for that day).

2. Group is not to have "gifts" cast.

3. Group must use ranged attacks/melee (not a fan of this one).

4. You must not use potions/scrolls.

5. mob must be killed/only harmed by reactive damage (I.e Shields cloak of thorns etc) (for this one i would say None epic fights only).

ooh and I am not saying these are a good or bad idea, only An Idea.

Eh, that's a little weird if satyrs and dryads were liberated by player effort and they're not being played :(

No, using "arbitrary rules" is not necessarily a good idea and more work to set up, just a possible way to keep a daily from being the same thing all the time. I guess the main significance to this, is a way to make measurable progress on things, but to control the maximum rate of progress.

From my low-level perspective, I have no way to say whether any of it would benefit the community or not, but I wouldn't want to see it turn into an "exclusive club" like the last game I played. So possibly requiring an elf or satyr, or banning gifts or potions so the group needs more players, gives it a little breathing room. It could make it impossible for some groups, but it would be different each day, and having a few off days over a period of years, is much different from hardly ever being able to do it over years.

Ehh, no need to make things needlessly complicated Calyndrell. The whole point of the dailies should be that you can do them every day if you want and with the population like it is, requiring a certain race in the group would really limit this possibility.

For the Isle of Ice dailies I'd like to point out that I got more coin from the oddities the mobs dropped than the quests themselves.

*drops her 2c and flees to work on her lair*

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Machaeon View Post
    Ehh, no need to make things needlessly complicated Calyndrell. The whole point of the dailies should be that you can do them every day if you want and with the population like it is, requiring a certain race in the group would really limit this possibility.

For the Isle of Ice dailies I'd like to point out that I got more coin from the oddities the mobs dropped than the quests themselves.

*drops her 2c and flees to work on her lair*
    I did actually say requiring a certain race was a bad idea.

Dailys sound really cool. I'm looking forward to them.

Thread Information