Thread: Weird graphics problem with Istaria

Default Weird graphics problem with Istaria

I have been having this weird problem where I can see parts of some models through each other, like I can see parts of my dragon's teeth and horns through her head. I'm using an HP Pavilion p7-1534 with AMD Radeon 7560D graphics. The graphics look good in every game I play except for Istaria. My old computer never had this problem and I really hope someone knows how to fix this because it has been driving me crazy for months.

I took a few screenshots of the problem and circled the areas where it shows up.
    istariagraphicsproblemthingy.jpg

Wow... For some reason posting the image here messed up the quality so you can hardly see what I'm talking about. It's much more obvious than that in game.

Default Re: Weird graphics problem with Istaria

hmmm, like you said it's kind of hard to see it in the image.
    However, one thing I do notice is that you're using the white teeth and horns mod, and while it isn't always the case, mods can sometimes mess with files in ways they aren't supposed to, I'd suggest seeing if the problem is still there if you take the mod away (in fact, I'd suggest backing-up the override folder and trying a completely clean istaria run), and if that fixes it I'd say try re-installing the mod and see if the problem stays gone. (actual re-install, don't drag the old files back in.)

There is a bug in the way the game displays the backgrounds thru transparencies.

Easy example: the Grand magus ghost NPC on island of ice. If you change the angle you look at him, his color changes. Looking straight on him, he looks white and ghost-ish. From a dragons point of view looking more downwards, he gains a brownish coloration. The building he is in doesn't show at all, which I think is the problem. Looking thru him causes the building to also be transparent, and you see the grounds behind/under him.

Same issue can be seen with a player using the ghost costumes, or with the ghost dragons in fiery rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    There is a bug in the way the game displays the backgrounds thru transparencies.

Easy example: the Grand magus ghost NPC on island of ice. If you change the angle you look at him, his color changes. Looking straight on him, he looks white and ghost-ish. From a dragons point of view looking more downwards, he gains a brownish coloration. The building he is in doesn't show at all, which I think is the problem. Looking thru him causes the building to also be transparent, and you see the grounds behind/under him.

Same issue can be seen with a player using the ghost costumes, or with the ghost dragons in fiery rift.
    oh yeah, I completely forgot about that one, it could actually be tied to that. Nice catch Gauran.
    But yeah, seeing as it's only affecting the mouth/horn area (any trouble with the claws?), I'd still suggest trying a mod-free run and see if it helps.

I have already tried playing without mods and the problem is still there. I don't think it is the same as the ghost thing because my old computer had the ghost problem but it never had this problem. Also it affects more than the mouth and horns, those are just where it is most obvious. I have also been able to see faint outlines of stuff inside buildings and back fins show through when I look at the front of a dragon. Also I can see parts of peds' hair through their face sometimes and it looks really freaky.

I've encountered anomalies when playing with Ati Radeon graphics hardware. Apparently these problems don't exist with NVidia hardware according to posts here on the forums and also from speaking to some players in-game.

Examples of graphical anomalies with Ati Radeon hardware:

Walls in Tazoon are invisible.
    Ghost dragons such as those on Dalimond Ridge and Chiconis Battlefield are often invisible
    Special decals/effects don't show up - for example the Phoenix Shield visual appearance technique

It may well be the case that it's nothing to do with the choice of mods you have installed, it appears that there are problems with the game's rendering on Ati hardware that I never knew existed and only found out about when I came back after a few years with a completely different gaming rig.

I recently installed a driver update and now I don't seem to have the problem quite as often.

Thread Information