Thread: Handwraps + Unarmed Mastery

Default Handwraps + Unarmed Mastery

I've been doing some comparisons of damage output with and without handwraps equipped, and have noticed very little variation between fighting with no weapon (true unarmed) and fighting with handwraps. The only discernible difference I've noticed is that I can parry with handwraps equipped.

Is it the case that unarmed mastery's damage bonus is meant to be combined with the handwrap damage, or by wearing the handwraps do I sacrifice the bonus from unarmed mastery?

I'm just a little confused as to why I'm not seeing any tangible difference between true unarmed combat and handwraps

Default Re: Handwraps + Unarmed Mastery

I've noticed a significant difference in my being able to hit enemies and the amount of damage I do with tech'd handwraps (level 85 version) versus with a tool in my hand. Makes a difference to how quickly I take down those golems I want to mine.

I'm not 100% sure, but wouldnt having a tool equipped make you not be using Unarmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Alisto View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but wouldnt having a tool equipped make you not be using Unarmed?
    I've heard of monks using tools in the past since they can be socketed, but as far as I know tools don't allow monks to parry. My definition of unarmed is nothing equipped in the hands, and that's what I was comparing to handwraps in my original post. I'm not entirely sure how Awdz's observation bears relevance to actual damage done, I think she's basically saying she hits more frequently with a set of handwraps than with a tool, but I'm fairly sure if she compared true unarmed to handwraps then she'd find the to-hit ratio to be somewhat similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzael View Post
    I've been doing some comparisons of damage output with and without handwraps equipped, and have noticed very little variation between fighting with no weapon (true unarmed) and fighting with handwraps. The only discernible difference I've noticed is that I can parry with handwraps equipped.

Is it the case that unarmed mastery's damage bonus is meant to be combined with the handwrap damage, or by wearing the handwraps do I sacrifice the bonus from unarmed mastery?

I'm just a little confused as to why I'm not seeing any tangible difference between true unarmed combat and handwraps
    I haven't noticed a significant difference when i am a monk the main one being that in any other class I can use the handwraps to make use of "unarmed skill" where as without them at best they would only have the level 50ish version of unarmed combat damage
    Last edited by Calyndrell; May 6th, 2014 at 02:10 PM.

Hand Wraps weren't created to be a weapon for Monks and that is why they add little to no damage beyond unarmed. They were added to the game so that Monks and Disciples weren't penalized by the missing technique slots.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Hand Wraps weren't created to be a weapon for Monks and that is why they add little to no damage beyond unarmed. They were added to the game so that Monks and Disciples weren't penalized by the missing technique slots.
    So can hand wraps use crystal sockets?

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Cheers Amon, that explains what I'm seeing really. I confused the matter by assuming that any damage value on hand wraps would be added to the unarmed mastery damage, whereas your explanation suggests that the damage values on handwraps are used instead of unarmed mastery's damage values, until such time as the handwraps are unequipped - only then does the unarmed mastery value come into effect.

Calyndrell you can have techs on handwraps and that includes sockets. My own preference for handwraps typically involves a Parry tech and a socket tech, with the third tech slot being used for either a statistic boost or unarmed skill.

Correct. Unfortunately UnarmedMastery won't benefit you while you have Handwraps equipped. That's an unfortunate side-effect. Hand Wraps are, however, setup to use the Unarmed skill so their damage is impacted by it.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Calyndrell you can have techs on handwraps and that includes sockets. My own preference for handwraps typically involves a Parry tech and a socket tech, with the third tech slot being used for either a statistic boost or unarmed skill.
    Ahh cheers never actually made hand wraps i have only ever leveled monk for its benefit in dex and evasion but thats answered that question

Parry tech, yes, good. Parry tech on a weapon is one of the most important things I can think of to tech ANY weapon.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

My own preference for handwraps typically involves a Parry tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    Parry tech on a weapon is one of the most important things I can think of to tech ANY weapon.
    *makes no contribution at all even slightly*
    I imagined a monk going up to some ED Undead warrior/zerker, poking it, and the zombie brings it's big sword to hit the monk. But the monk raises it's hands and the sword makes a "boing" noise bouncing off of the wraps while the monk takes no damage at all. Not even a minor hand injury.
    >.> <.< *loves this*

Quote Originally Posted by Azath View Post
    *makes no contribution at all even slightly*
    I imagined a monk going up to some ED Undead warrior/zerker, poking it, and the zombie brings it's big sword to hit the monk. But the monk raises it's hands and the sword makes a "boing" noise bouncing off of the wraps while the monk takes no damage at all. Not even a minor hand injury.
    >.> <.< *loves this*
    and here people we have a prime example of azathian randomness!!

I know this thread is older but I only recently returned and been playing the last month and a half; been under whelmed by the hand wraps then I found an old post about Monks from 2006

It had this information sure enough I ditched the hand wrap because it was to low and went to a tool for stats and I did more damage

I am guessing the information from 2006 is still true from what i seen it looks to be the case

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...-WELCOME-GUIDE!!!!

"As for the wraps, be careful and look at the LEVEL of the wraps, the damage is scaled directly to the level of the wrap, for instance if you loot some level 10 handwraps, and you were level 20-25, then your damage would drop to a level 10 monk's. "

Thread Information