Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: Making a Dragon Retexture

Lightbulb Help: Making a Dragon Retexture

Something I've always wanted to do for quite a while since I began adding mods to this game was to make some reskins of my own. I used one or two, and discovered that reskins could be done simply by adding the different masks in the game to your dragon's equipped gear. Since realizing that, I have been wanting to make a full-on series of my own skins available for use, as an artistic challenge.

However, I'm not sure how to go around doing that! I have hunted around and found nothing that pointed me on how to even begin. Granny viewer never seemed to work for me, I couldn't ever get anything to show up on it, just blackness and blank screens, but I get the feeling it has something to do with this in order to get the texture wrap off and onto a mod.

If this is still something allowed within the game, then I would love to give it a try! I'll require some help from other players to do so, even in-game, however, to test them out, for I no longer have a subscription (I do not have the money for it, unless I can manage something that just came to mind).

An example of my work can be seen in one of my most recent bits of dragon related artwork...

For a 3D model, my intentions would be to make the texture much more defined. I intend to work both from a realistic point of view and an artistic one (This obviously is not an Istarian dragon, and I understand the texture would not change the mesh at all). I have done texturing in the past throughout college, as I am a student in media arts and animation, and I figure attempting a mod of this caliber would do a lot for expanding my knowledge on the subject. So if I can get someone to help me through the process, or manage a guide of some sorts, I would be very thankful!

Vamalchior

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Re: Help: Making a Dragon Retexture

For retexturing, you can go through the files using AGHViewer to find the dragon textures that you want to change, usually the names being something like "dragon_u_sk02_head00_base.agh" and "dragon_u_sk02_body00_base.agh". Using AGHviewer to convert it ( I'm assuming you have it? If not google it, you'll find it. ) and edit it, then you have to edit a line of code somewhere in the Commands_Player.def or maybe a preference file to be able to convert it back to .agh in-game using Istaria's coder. I think there's a thread somewhere on that on the forum itself.

For a 3D model.. as far as I know, it's impossible. According to Solitaire who kindly answered the question of what Istaria uses for 3D models, Istaria uses Maya for modeling and then Granny by RAD Game Tools to make the models into a .gr2 file. I'm not even sure if you can find Granny anymore as an exporter - I've searched for hours, believe me. Maya is also extremely expensive but I assume you may be able to use some other program as long as the file it makes it compatible with the exporter. Getting the .gr2 into a file readable by a 3D modeling program is an entire other story.

Nonetheless, good luck and have fun with what you can do, and please share your secrets if you manage to edit Istaria's models by a stroke of luck. Post your edited files in this thread and I'm sure people would take screenshots for you. Myself included if I have the time.

Edit:
    AGHviewer - https://sites.google.com/site/fridlekh/

AGH conversion code-
    Code:
    //purgeTextures
    {

string name = "purgeTextures"
    string abbrev = "purgeTex"
    string usage = "[no parameters]"
    string description = "Purges all texture and image resources for immediate reloading."
    }

//aghConvert
    {

string name = "aghConvert"
    string abbrev = "agh"
    string usage = ""
    string description = "Converts an image to AGH format"
    int numParams = 1
    int minParams = 0
    }

If you wanted, you could create hugely detailed textures to go on the models. The basic dragon skin consists of two textures; head/wings and body. The head/wings is a 512x1024 pixel image. Body is a 512x512. You can double the size of those textures a couple of times to make a very detailed texture. There are a few things to take into account, though. There are I believe 16 versions of base skin textures. The head/wings texture will need to have a transparency to define the edges of the wings. I usually use TGA and create an alpha channel. PNG will work as well.

First, you would need to increase the size of every texture that is used on dragons by the same factor. Or create your own versions of everything which would be a big task. Masks as an example are a much smaller texture than the base textures. If you did not change them, then they will be too small to apply over top of the base skin. You would get a small version of the mask covering just part of the dragon's head.

Second, there is a def file (Offsets.def) that would have to be modified as well. The offsets file has a series of coordinates that determine where any other textures like masks are placed. Dragon masks are placed at an offset of 48 pixels in X and 212 in Y. You would need to change those numbers to reflect the increase in size of the base skin textures.

Last, when your texture is complete for a player or monster character (NPCs are textured differently) you will need to change the texture to grayscale. Istaria uses tints to change those grayscale textures into color characters. This system is part of what allows Istaria to have such customization in the characters. You can create custom tints also. Istaria uses two types of tint files; ACT and PNG. Player characters are using ACT which are harder to work with in my opinion. Monsters are PNG. There are ways to get player characters to use PNG but I'd have to research the tints again to remember how. I've created some wild colored dragons by playing with the tints.

As Racktor pointed out, you won't be able to change the models themselves.

If you have questions, just let me know. I will help out as I can.

First off... these are wonderful answers, extremely helpful. You have my gratitude for the effort you each put into them, along with how quickly the answers were put up! I'll take any advice available in order to work with this, I'm pretty stubborn when it comes to troubleshooting and figuring things out.

Now. With that said... I've already run into a problem, and am wondering if I can get any guidance on this part. I installed the .AGH viewer (My original version just flat-out refused to work) and attempted to open the folder that led to .agh files. But each time I attempt, I get a message like the one below...

Any idea why this could be happening? I'll include the Details down below, in case a closer look is required. It mentions something about debugging, making me wonder if I need to reinstall a third time?

PHP Code:
    See the end of this message for details on invoking just-in-time (JITdebugging instead of this dialog box.
    Exception Text **************System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundExceptionCould not find a part of the path 'D:\Games\Istaria\resources\textures_agh\characters\characters\dragon_u\clothing\resources\textures_agh'.   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCodeString maybeFullPath)   at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames(String pathString userPathOriginalString searchPatternBoolean includeFilesBoolean includeDirsSearchOption searchOption)   at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.GetDirectories(String searchPatternSearchOption searchOption)   at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.GetDirectories()   at AghView.AGHViewer.PopulateTree(TreeNode parentNodeString Path)   at AghView.AGHViewer.menuItem2_Click(Object senderEventArgs e)   at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)   at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.MenuItemData.Execute()   at System.Windows.Forms.Command.Invoke()   at System.Windows.Forms.Command.DispatchID(Int32 id)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(Messagem)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Messagem)   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Messagem)   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Messagem)   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Messagem)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Messagem)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Messagem)   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWndInt32 msgIntPtr wparamIntPtr lparam)

Loaded Assemblies **************mscorlib    Assembly Version2.0.0.0    Win32 Version2.0.50727.5477 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)    CodeBasefile:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll----------------------------------------AGHViewer    Assembly Version: 1.0.3322.8873    Win32 Version: 1.0.3322.8873    CodeBase: file:///D:/Games/Istaria/AGHViewer.exe----------------------------------------System.Windows.Forms    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll----------------------------------------System    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll----------------------------------------System.Drawing    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll----------------------------------------Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX    Assembly Version: 1.0.2911.0    Win32 Version: 9.12.589.0000    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX/1.0.2911.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll----------------------------------------Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D    Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0    Win32 Version: 9.05.132.0000    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll----------------------------------------Microsoft.DirectX    Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0    Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.dll----------------------------------------Accessibility    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll----------------------------------------
    ************** JIT Debugging **************To enable just-in-time (JITdebuggingthe .config file for thisapplication or computer (machine.configmust have thejitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.The application must also be compiled with debuggingenabled.
    For 
    example:
    <
    configuration>    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" /></configuration>
    When JIT debugging is enabledany unhandled exceptionwill be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computerrather than be handled by this dialog box

Vamalchior

You need to change root (Menu file) and point it directly to the installation directory, not any resource folder
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

It has been a long time since I used AGH Viewer (since I have the source files). Just as a note, I remember that it would save images upside down when you saved them. I don't know if that has been fixed or not since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaxes View Post
    You need to change root (Menu file) and point it directly to the installation directory, not any resource folder
    Ahh! There we are. Thanks much!

It has been a long time since I used AGH Viewer (since I have the source files). Just as a note, I remember that it would save images upside down when you saved them. I don't know if that has been fixed or not since then.
    Also, this is a good thing to know. I'll keep an eye out for that.

Vamalchior

It does in fact save things upside-down. I can confirm that. Also sometimes it saves things off-kilter it looks like, I had a lot of issues editing the belly scales for some reason a while back.

Alright... phooh. I've been meandering around this for a while, and have run into another problem. I managed to get a file off, tweaked with it, and am just using it as a test for right now to see if I can get it up on the game itself. I've been hanging out next to Kerian, and chose the .agh that had the red scales, presuming he was using it. I could be wrong of course, but it looks about like what's wrapped on Kerian's model.

Following the instructions I found here, I went bit by bit, recreated directories in the override until I found the series that seemed to fit, which was textures_agh. However, it only worked once. I got this message in-game...

"[06/29/14 16:49:04] Converting dragon_u_sk02_body00_cbase.tga, saving to resources_override\textures_agh\characters\dragon_ u\clothing\dragon_u_sk02_body00_cbase.agh... "

And got excited. So I tried to reload the game, and purge it, both. Kerian didn't visibly change at all. So I went and stared at the files some more... deleted what I had done, made the changes more obvious, and flipped it into the correct orientation (for I realized I'd kept it flipped upside-down). Now, the file can't be found no matter what I do when it comes to /aghConvert command. I have it all saved to \textures_agh\characters\dragon_u\clothing -- the file that HAD worked, before. What confused me, when I looked for the other addons I had saved up, was that the Blight Dragon mod I had used was just put in textures_agh and no subdirectories, and yet it had worked in-game. Additionally, when the game told me the image had been saved to an .agh, I went and looked in the folder. It still posed as a targa, and not a .agh.

Any ideas what could be causing the problem? I figure, once I get over this obstacle, I'll be pretty much set until it comes to struggling with alpha channels! Hopefully I can figure that one on my own.

Vamalchior

When the game loads, it consults a master file list to see what the contents of the game folder should be. It also inventories the resources_override folder. Once it has loaded, it will not know of any changes made to the files after the inventory. Even when the client creates the file. You will need to restart before it will be recognized as a useful file.

Not sure that I'm reading what you are doing correctly but just in case, always keep your files in resources_override. If you copy a file into the regular game folders and start up the client, it will recognize that it has an unofficial file, delete it and download a fresh copy from the server. Directory structure in /resources_override does not matter at all. I only create folders so that I can keep textures, def files and sha files organized. Like right now I have a /resources_override/skymod directory because I'm still messing with the sky trying to figure out how it works and add more depth to the clouds during the daytime so that the deep blue sky looks better. (I have achieved a couple of neat looking results, btw. But they are not ready yet.)

Also watch out for the way it saves the file, usually writing it as "dragon_u_sk02_body00_cbase.tga.agh". I use PNGs though so it may not do it with TGAs, but I always have to rename it to just have .agh at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    Also watch out for the way it saves the file, usually writing it as "dragon_u_sk02_body00_cbase.tga.agh". I use PNGs though so it may not do it with TGAs, but I always have to rename it to just have .agh at the end.

I noticed that!

I've been having jabs at this project here and there, trying to figure out how to make it work. I have one texture that I just tweaked with, color edited, added some line. Not the most gorgeous thing to exist, but I thought it'd work as a decent enough test, so I knew I could get something up on the model. I've chosen the red dragon so I could stand by Kerian and use him as a model tester. I have been mucking around with both .PNG and .TGA, but /aghConvert didn't work, and /purgeTex was just a tease: It'd reload, but the texture would never change. I wasn't able to shift it into an .AGH.

...Unntil I found this.

"This converts them back into AGH. (Replace in common_prefs.)bool agfCompressVerts = false
    bool convertIGBToAGF = true
    bool updateAGHFiles = true
    bool convertAGHDDS = true
    bool ddsHighQuality = true

----------------------------------------
    This shuts it off
    bool agfCompressVerts = true
    bool convertIGBToAGF = false
    bool updateAGHFiles = false
    bool convertAGHDDS = false
    bool ddsHighQuality = false
    "
    Saw it on another thread, so I tried it. Suddenly, I had a .AGH! I watched as the game converted it, and got excited... and then realized, the texture still was not showing up. So I went to look up alpha layers, despite only using the body_cbase, and read up a little. Applied an alpha channel, saved a new file, converted it... and still, the texture is not showing up. I deleted the spare .TGA from the file (I can't seem to save a .png with the alpha file for some reason), but still no go. Now, my question is...

Is Kerian immune to texturing, or am I just crazy? Should I also tweak with the head/wing texture so that it's not just the body texture being loaded? Am I missing a step? I feel like I'm right on the brink of having figured this all out. I have the files, the capability to edit them, place them in the right folders (though I apparently don't need a complex folder structure!)... but it's still too dark to see through the keyhole, so to speak.

Vamalchior

Just to note (I'd have edited my last post but for some reason I can't find the options... me and forums don't mix) These are the links I have been using to help myself:

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...not-showing-up
    http://runecasting.blogspot.com/2009...-textures.html (This method was not working)
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...195-AGH-viewer (Where I got the prefs change that DID convert to .agh)
    And then all the lovely assistance provided by those who posted here. :3

Vamalchior

Where is Kerian at? I don't remember which NPC that is. I can tell you if he is using the cbase texture or something different. An NPC does not have to use cbase but it is a quick and easy way to texture one. Just end up with a bunch of twins doing that.

I can take a look to see what is going on and get back to you.

Kerian is one of the earlier dragons you come across after finishing the dragon tutorial area. New Trismus, down the hill, in the cave to your left if you're going down the hill using the road. I ...wait I think Kerian is actually the female! The crafting dragon, with the dragonscale forge in the room. Big and red.

Vamalchior

Have you had any more luck with it?

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

Nope. Not yet. Sorry for the delay there, I had been hoping to figure this out during my break, but my studio pounded me with work to the point I had no time to art for myself. D:

I did everything as mentioned, followed all the rules... but it still doesn't show up in-game for me.

Vamalchior

Quote Originally Posted by Kryodrache View Post
    I lost access to the site a little while ago sadly, cannot update - so have to try to get it back via google ticket que. In the meantime, I'm working to migrate data somewhere else.

WhaaahahahahAHAHAH XD

So I logged in randomly and decided to check...

And for some reason Kerian has now decided to use the 'test' recolor I was tweaking with. I do believe I did something wrong. Maybe I wasn't supposed to flip it.

Because I now seem to notice a distinct lack of a head.

http://gyazo.com/26801e608e35c5e68eb5da8d38346675

Ohh man that REALLY broke hard, wow. Trying to recall if I saved it as a different resolution, I think that's the problem there.... it's fascinating to look at in any case.

I may have cracked a rib from laughing. Not sure why it's working NOW, didn't do anything different, but hey... maybe it's just a computer restart needed? I dunno. Back to the drawing board.
    Last edited by Kryodrache; October 4th, 2014 at 07:20 AM.

Vamalchior

Yeah, that is definitely a resolution issue. You can enlarge the resolution but have to make sure that every texture that is being used on the model is scaled up the same. Chest plates, highlights, stripes etc. And with that upscaling you would need to also modify the "offsets.def" file accordingly. It sets up an x,y coordinate in pixels for a smaller texture to be placed on top of the base texture. Eyes, teeth & claws, etc. It can be a pain to change the resolutions which is why I never did it with player characters.

Thread Information