Thread: Talk to the Team: Dragon Schools: Skill Trees

Default Talk to the Team: Dragon Schools: Skill Trees

Use this thread to discuss skill trees for Dragons.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Dragon Schools: Skill Trees

The big issues with this approach for me (beyond the time it might take for implementation) are:

1) How would skill points be gained? Spent? Reimbursed?
    2) How would abilities be gained or removed as points are spent/removed?
    3) How would this interact with the existing school(s)? With quested abilities? With constraints for quests or items?
    4) How would skill points spent be incorporated into the rating system?

I'm sure there are more issues, but those are the ones off the top of my head.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    The big issues with this approach for me (beyond the time it might take for implementation) are:

3) How would this interact with the existing school(s)? With quested abilities? With constraints for quests or items?

I'm sure there are more issues, but those are the ones off the top of my head.
    1.a) Would it be possible to have a mew type of TP say call it SP. You get 1 SP per 10 levels allowing you to gain a maximum of 10 sp
    b)they can be reimbursed in the same manner as TP but at a rate of 1 per day

2.have 3 or more branches within which to spend the SP say "DPS melee" "DPS mage" "Healer" and "Tank" each branch has 10 skills each requiring 1 SP to unlock

3. Each ability must also be unlocked via a quest as well as having the SP spent to use it.

and upon completion of each quest +1 is added to the Rating of the dragon. so ultimately if a dragon does all 40 quests it will have a rating of 140

Now I dunno how much of this is possible but thats my thoughts
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

I have a somewhat technical sidebar with Amon regarding the implementation -- probably not a good fit for the audience of the forum as it requires proprietary knowledge to follow.

Here's the high level view for your feedback:

See (2).

Abilities (or spells, or items, or abilities to enable the use of items) are awarded through quests. Among other prerequisites, each quest requires a minimum hoard level. To complete the quest and receive its reward, you'll consume some hoard. How much requires further research.

To remove rewards, you take an undo quest. The quest deletes the item from your character and awards some hoard -- the hoard you spent.

For the most part, the new stuff is school-agnostic and carries on the dragon precedent of questing for progression. We'll have to develop new item (or passive ability) properties that conflict with and disable selected quested abilities and/or items. For stats, we'll need to create items (or passive abilities) with properties that can cap a given base stat (e.g. "limits base STR to 640").

That's a good question. Given that XP no longer has any significance after DRAG 100, I don't see any harm in leaving this alone. Combat difficulty is more a function of stats rather than rating. That said, we could create an item property that adjusts rating to an absolute ("sets rating to 110") or relative ("increases rating by 1") value.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Could you separate the training point method used for bipeds and dragons?Option 1: If so give dragons more per level. Allow them to be allocated to a higher degree that 600 per skill. Have abilities require a skill level to be used like formulas and crafting. Option 2: Give dragons more per level. Allow the excess to be used to purchase abilities at different levels. Like (new ability name) I-V needing 25 points - 100.

Thread Information