Thread: to the webmaster

bigswifty

Default to the webmaster

might I suggest that you save yourself tons o' headaches down the road and switch to one of the php based board packages out there. asp is buggy, unsecure and just plain wrong, while php/mysql is a robust cross platform scripting language and database pairing (best of all its absolutly free, even commercially)

I sincerly hope you are not using IIS, but even if you are php and mysql will work just fine on a windows box (though a linux box or unix would serve your security interests much better)

My experiance over the past 15 years is to boot ol' Bill out the door and go with apache with php and mysql (realy any db will work with php likeoracle, MSsql or pretty much any retail db package provided you install the proper odbc stuff under windoze -php needs no additional odbc connectivity for mysqland Im pretty sureit has native support for mssql and oracle right out of the box-

just a thought.

Default Re: to the webmaster

Quote Originally Posted by bigswifty
    might I suggest that you save yourself tons o' headaches down the road and switch to one of the php based board packages out there. asp is buggy, unsecure and just plain wrong, while php/mysql is a robust cross platform scripting language and database pairing (best of all its absolutly free, even commercially)
    Sorry, this I've got to get into this one..What's wrong with .NET? This isn't an ASP forms, it's a ASP.NET forms PHP isn't (currently) better then .NET the memory structure, and handling (including Class support) is MUCH better then PHP since .NET is based more upon Java and C++ then anything. Yes, .NET is a little buggy so is PHP. It's not unsecure..and NO it's not just 'wrong' just different.
    as for cross-platforms, who cares when your back end is M$? (If they are using .NET, it's an M$ shop at least for the front end.)

I sincerely hope you are not using IIS, but even if you are php and mysql will work just fine on a windows box (though a linux box or unix would serve your security interests much better)
    Linux isn't secure either.. there's quite a few loop holes, and security breaches in the code. Something that tends to happen with Open source products. I'm not saying that Linux (or *nix) is bad.. only that it DOES have the same problems as M$. Besides again..if you're an M$ shop, it's costs money to switch to *nix, and retrain your people to get everything setup.. *nix is a BI^%CH to set up CORRECTLY.

My experiance over the past 15 years is to boot ol' Bill out the door and go with apache with php and mysql (realy any db will work with php likeoracle, MSsql or pretty much any retail db package provided you install the proper odbc stuff under windoze -php needs no additional odbc connectivity for mysqland Im pretty sureit has native support for mssql and oracle right out of the box-
    just a thought.
    My 20 years says that Apache is flaky, with security problems just like IIS. Ol' Bill is no longer the Lead with M$ and really has nothing to do with it anymore.. he's just a spokes person now, working in the R&D department. SQL Server 2000, currently is faster and more reliable then Oracle 9i (though.. not by much, and only until the next version of Orcale. It's always been a trade off)

Just my buck and a quarter. =)
    AKA Maguai, PogoWolf (Chaos)
    www.PogoWolf.com / www.GamersVue.com
    [/RIGHT]

Ophelea

I'd suggest not using quoting in your posts.

It's white on white.

bigswifty

points taken.

still .net gives me the whillies due to its newness and asp has always been questionable in the eyes of many sysadmins (although it can be fairly reliable I know many many who wont touch it with a ten foot pole, same for CF)

as far as mssql and oracle go, they are more feature rich then mysql (triggers etc.) but at the same time for a company teetering on the brink of the chapter 11 abyss is it realy wise to use an expensive licence to do something as mundane as running a discussion board when an open source solution will work just fine?

god knows I wouldn't suggest that anything mission critical be changed at this point like the game dbs or the authentication gateway pages, just cut some costs and use the little money left in a more efficent way.

And I still remain unconvinced that the nuts and bolts of asp or asp.net are not as succeptable to attack asmany of M$'s other apps are (remember the activx debacle?) anyhow php just like any other scripting language is fully supported by windoze, its just not recomended unless you realy know your win stuff (like mcse know)

for the record, I have yet to encounter any real issues with php, and I have built several entire sites with full db searches, ecommerce and all the bells and whistles in php, sure its not the end all, and I may be very well a MS hater, but you have to admit that in a situation like this, the option has serious merits

Thread Information