Thread: More late game content

Right behind you when you're not looking!

Lightbulb More late game content

Hi!

So I had this idea after seeing some old stuff from old players, Epic jewelry! I've seen some old sets of jewelry that used to drop from some blights and I quite like that reason, gives players more reason to stay and go out to ED(SoG, Reklar, maybe even Daknor? Or Valkor near kirasanct) instead of leaving the game after having pretty much done everything. And armor, Epic armor( maybe some more epic scales? slightly better then the t6 ones currently but not too OP)for that's something I haven't seen yet, but I would like it very much.

And/Or

Something 'Epic' to lower levels, keep it interesting for the newbies also! I've seen on the wikia some old items, a staff, a sword of embers etc, 'Epic' items for lower levels. This would be loveable to be back in the game or new content replacing them! That way they have something to aim for in the lower levels, the high level stuff AND the lower level stuff. Alot of newbies have left because it is so hard in the begin at times, give them something 'Epic' and near ( not too easy though ) instead of something Epic but so far and so hard to get there!

Comments & criticism ( dat word *_* spelled correctly I hope? xD if not, I BLAME YOU CHON FROM CHAOS! ) are apreciated!
    Last edited by flamefeniks; August 6th, 2014 at 09:45 PM.
    Light covers night, night fades, when it does, storms come. ~Storm Dragons
    Currently Getting Coppers, gaining Silver, making Gold, Pursuing Mithril!

Default Re: More late game content

Well, we basically already have this. The last time this was asked for, we got the broken item weapons and jewelry. They do go all the way down to t1 items too.

Now, I wouldn't be against making some improvements to those items, especially the low end ones, to extend their usefulness so that say a sword wouldn't be outgrown by regular crafted gear for 25 levels. Something that would make the items really desired even for low levels. The problem with low level epic gear is that by the time someone completes it, they have likely out-leveled it. So if the first 3 tiers of the broken items were improved somehow, that would make them a more desired item to have.

One quick easy way, give everything at least 1 tech slot. As it is now, the t1 to t5 items have no tech slots, the t6 have a single tech slot. Give all the tiers tech slots. This way, sockets, quest reward techs, etc could be used.

For the dragon scales, I would absolutely love it if the chest had 3 tech slots for the t6, and at least 2 for the t4/t5 broken piece dragon chest scales.

My main overall complaint with the t6 scales is that you lose armor compared to t5 crafted. Not really epic if the dev's line of thought is "well lets bump this stat here, but take away from this other one". Epic means should be best in slot, but they aren't

I am most familiar with the dragon scales, but if the lower level biped weapons are in any way similar, then I doubt may players bother using them. Would be nice if that changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    One quick easy way, give everything at least 1 tech slot. As it is now, the t1 to t5 items have no tech slots, the t6 have a single tech slot. Give all the tiers tech slots. This way, sockets, quest reward techs, etc could be used.
    Well I went and took a look at the lowbie weapons, turns out they do have a single tech slot already
    But some other type of buffing or improvement would still be a good idea. Same goes for the scales.

There's already a few...what might be considered low level epics. The blade you get from the defender of sslanis line for example. However, most of this gear has a huge issue that by the time you've got the skill to complete the quest, you've way outleveled the reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Azath View Post
    There's already a few...what might be considered low level epics. The blade you get from the defender of sslanis line for example. However, most of this gear has a huge issue that by the time you've got the skill to complete the quest, you've way outleveled the reward.
    I wouldn't really say those broken weapons and jewelry are really epic, at t6 the jewelry is handy so are some of the weapons , they're strong yes, but I'm talking about stuff like Sword of Embers for example(can't come up with any dragon examples that were in the game :s ), Named stuff that's actually usefull for 10-20 lvls later.
    Also it doesn't have to be lvl 10-20 , make it 40-50. Afaik lvl 40-50 isn't that easy, from then on it's starting to take time to lvl.

As for the Sslanis Militia Blade...It's lvl 15 item, not that epic, those levels go by too fast for that to be actually usefull like you said.

The issue here is not about how 'epic' an item is, the true measure of epic status is the fun someone has along the way to obtaining it. If the event surrounding the availability of an item is challenging and fun then you could give someone a brass button at the end and they'd still be happy because they had such fun along the way

Quote Originally Posted by flamefeniks View Post
    As for the Sslanis Militia Blade...It's lvl 15 item, not that epic, those levels go by too fast for that to be actually usefull like you said.
    So how do you make an item that is epic in the way you'd like, but is suitable for newbies as you stated in your original post? If you can crack that nut then we're into new territory

Very true, but there are some who also want fun & something to be able to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzael View Post
    So how do you make an item that is epic in the way you'd like, but is suitable for newbies as you stated in your original post? If you can crack that nut then we're into new territory
    Take for example a claw for dragons and for bipeds a weapon useable by most if not all schools. It's around lvl 40 or 35 , the moment lvls start taking longer, give it an effect like I've seen on the sword of embers, something that actually makes it worth doing, having and using up to 10-20 lvls later, for the effects on it are strong. It'd be a mini epic, not strong compared to t6 broken weapons or epics , but strong compared to other stuff around it's lvl and somewhat higher also. As for the quest, yes, it needs to be challenging and fun , not too easy or too hard, fun and worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by flamefeniks View Post
    I wouldn't really say those broken weapons and jewelry are really epic, at t6 the jewelry is handy so are some of the weapons , they're strong yes, but I'm talking about stuff like Sword of Embers for example(can't come up with any dragon examples that were in the game :s ), Named stuff that's actually usefull for 10-20 lvls later.
    Also it doesn't have to be lvl 10-20 , make it 40-50. Afaik lvl 40-50 isn't that easy, from then on it's starting to take time to lvl.

Actually the t6 jewelry is awesome. It pretty much is epic jewelry. The rings are the only thing I would change about the t6 jewelry, just add a second tech slot. With t5 jwl the rings are stat, then usually plus 2 skills such as Flame, Bow, etc. The t6 only have 1 slot, so you can't put 2 skills on like t5. Other than that I love the t6 jwl, and just pick a single stat to buff, or split it between rings (like 1 with nature, other with spirit).

The sword of embers just has a weak dot. A regular crafted sword with a socket, and a dusky puncturing crystal for example, is probably a better weapon. And most of that particular batch of old weapons were pretty weak in general. There are a couple of effects on certain ones that could be re-used possibly... If the broken item club or staff (something druid oriented) could get the tranquility of the grove effect, it would be a nice interesting buff to the broken piece gear. That's a caster buff (10% spell alacrity for 1 minute). The glimmel lake sword had "flowing water" effect, which was -50% alacrity I believe, forget the duration. Was only a 2% chance to go off, but when it did, it was impressive. That effect on the broken weapon 2 hand swords would be welcomed. And the dagger with a %self heal on damage might be fun for monks. Daggers get no love.

If some nice buffs are added to the existing broken weapons, the drop rate on the pieces might need to be lowered a bit, so that they really are semi-rare which is fitting for epic-ish gear. (The old gear isn't really epic. Even when it was new, most of it went unused).

In a nut shell, what you're kinda asking for are items which are better than what is currently available from crafters at 'your lvl', which will last a long time. Basically, you'd like to be able to get an item at say lvl 50, which could last until 70, so it'd theoretically have lvl 60+ stats; effectively making the game easier...
    (fair to say that's a pathetic generalisation, so I'll take the criticism)

Unfortunately I cannot download the HCC at work, but I'd have a guess and say the broken weapons are up your alley. The main problem is that most people simply level up too quickly at the lower levels; there's almost no point in putting in anything under lvl 40.

There's quite a few weapon, armor and even jewelry tech kits available as quest rewards (and once the daily's make it live some can be received again). You might find if you hold onto those until you have lvl 40/50 gear (broken weapons or just normal gear), putting those on will make a huge difference and you may actually feel that level of 'epicness'.

For example, the quest series on NT which gives you the form to make Withered Bane (65% chance, +dam against undead) is still quite useful even at the later levels. It would be nice if there were even more of these, to give even more interesting effects, but the devs have a very limited amount of time and must use it wisely. But seriously, have a looksee at the tech kits available, there's quite a few and some are really good. (there's one, something about rose quartz, that can act as a damage shield)

The T6 jewelry is great, no arguments there. As Guaran pointed out, the T6 scales on the whole are a bit of a kick in the shins, but there's a few of them you might consider. The truly epic gear is all hunted for and can take ages to collect, hinting at the balancing problem... what level of effort would you think is appropriate to get truly epic T3/4/5 gear, which you could actually get without seriously out leveling... and that's where the broken items fill the gap They can be easily acquired solo, but simply take time.

I'm not trying to knock your idea on the head, I'm just trying to think of what is currently available, and what might be able to be added with the current methods used (broken items plus quest reward tech kits).
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Yea the t6 jewelry is quite awesome, love it myself hehe. I was however thinking about jewelry sets for certain schools , like the ones that used to drop from those blights, each with a special effect for only that school when all jewelry pieces are combined. As for why I used the sword of embers as example, someone told me about it and said it was pretty good, I also looked at it from the wikia and I wouldn't really call it weak, better then average though.

Quote Originally Posted by hallucin8 View Post
    In a nut shell, what you're kinda asking for are items which are better than what is currently available from crafters at 'your lvl', which will last a long time. Basically, you'd like to be able to get an item at say lvl 50, which could last until 70, so it'd theoretically have lvl 60+ stats; effectively making the game easier...
    (fair to say that's a pathetic generalisation, so I'll take the criticism)

Unfortunately I cannot download the HCC at work, but I'd have a guess and say the broken weapons are up your alley. The main problem is that most people simply level up too quickly at the lower levels; there's almost no point in putting in anything under lvl 40.

There's quite a few weapon, armor and even jewelry tech kits available as quest rewards (and once the daily's make it live some can be received again). You might find if you hold onto those until you have lvl 40/50 gear (broken weapons or just normal gear), putting those on will make a huge difference and you may actually feel that level of 'epicness'.

For example, the quest series on NT which gives you the form to make Withered Bane (65% chance, +dam against undead) is still quite useful even at the later levels. It would be nice if there were even more of these, to give even more interesting effects, but the devs have a very limited amount of time and must use it wisely. But seriously, have a looksee at the tech kits available, there's quite a few and some are really good. (there's one, something about rose quartz, that can act as a damage shield)

The T6 jewelry is great, no arguments there. As Guaran pointed out, the T6 scales on the whole are a bit of a kick in the shins, but there's a few of them you might consider. The truly epic gear is all hunted for and can take ages to collect, hinting at the balancing problem... what level of effort would you think is appropriate to get truly epic T3/4/5 gear, which you could actually get without seriously out leveling... and that's where the broken items fill the gap They can be easily acquired solo, but simply take time.

I'm not trying to knock your idea on the head, I'm just trying to think of what is currently available, and what might be able to be added with the current methods used (broken items plus quest reward tech kits).
    I asked for criticism so I don't mind at all hehe.
    However while yes the lvling goes fast by, for peds not Always I mean I've looked into a few other posts where they compared a dragon with peds, the peds couldn't take on a mob on the same lvl ( I agree with this, lvling a ped is a pain until you've reached your first lvl 100 school, it gets better after that, although not that much :s) so , an item that can be used for 10-15 ( let's take this ammount, maybe 10 max even) lvls with a nice effect would be usefull for them. The broken pieces are nice yes, though tell me, who bothers with them at lower lvls? I personally didn't , I lvld as a mage first and I'll tell you, broken weapon or not, all I'll do is cast spells. And I'm not sure if the lower tier broken weapons actually give a noticable difference in points to a certain stat.

Epic items at each tier doesn't really work when your game's items are 99.9% player-created. It works fine in MMOs where the majority of items are looted or quest-given and the crafted items are typically less impressive.

Epic items at the top end works fine, however, since they are the best you can get.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information