Thread: The bird.

Right behind you when you're not looking!

Angry The bird.

Sooo here I am, afk in NT reviewing the forum... Then there's this bird here who keeps going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and doesn't stop singing once. While I know putting the sound of helps, I like istaria sounds. Except for that bird, the bird who can't stop singing and makes me feel like punching a hole in my screen and see if it's able to shut it up.

Anyone agreeing?
    Last edited by Velea; August 10th, 2014 at 12:46 AM.
    Light covers night, night fades, when it does, storms come. ~Storm Dragons
    Currently Getting Coppers, gaining Silver, making Gold, Pursuing Mithril!

Default Re: The bird.

I should probably turn on the sound when I play so I can hear what you're talking about before deciding if it's annoying or not.

yes, annoing! they didn't stop, wherever you go in Istaria!
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16594&dateline=140663  6576
    Greedy dragon

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    I should probably turn on the sound when I play so I can hear what you're talking about before deciding if it's annoying or not.
    Turn the sound on, go sit near the vault in NT, have fun.

LOL, sounds more like a cricket to me at the pace and consistency that I hear it. I find it relaxing but I know some folks hate the sound.
    Really should probably come only about 2-3x as often as the wolf howl and be more melodic, if it's a bird chirp for atmosphere.

Haven't tested it yet, but according to awdz post it really could be crickets. They're also to be heard in Delgarath. I actually looked for the mp3 file to play it on my phone as background music
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

Eh sounds like an annoying bird to me, crickets sound different still IMO.

bird is the word...
    don't you know, about the bird? well everybody knows that the bird could be a cricket actually
    i'm not sorry

okay new mystery of istaria..bird or cricket?

The mystery continues... I thought I could find out a bit more about this sound effect by poking around, here's what I found:

Code:
    	ENTITY_INSTANCE sound_emitter
    	{
    		int id = 35225975
    		int ownerID = 9117
    		int version = 1

string name = "Ambient Sounds Birds and Insects"

vector pos = 46014.105, 14714.349, 0.000
    		vector rot = 0.000, 0.000, 0.000
    		vector scale = 1.000, 1.000, 1.000
    		vector localrotation = 0.000, 0.000, 0.000

int primitiveID = 48615

float innerRadius = 5.00
    		vector localrotation = 0.0000, 0.0000, 0.0000
    		float outerRadius = 15.00
    		string soundName = "BirdsAndInsects_amb"
    	}
    This uses the audio file spec_amb_19.wav located in the Istaria\resources\sound\ambience\forest01 folder. The data doesn't help us much but at least now we know which file to listen to if we want to make our own minds up

Quote Originally Posted by Azath View Post
    bird is the word...
    don't you know, about the bird? well everybody knows that the bird could be a cricket actually
    i'm not sorry

okay new mystery of istaria..bird or cricket?
    It seems it's both, check tzaels comment.

@Tzael... I'm curious, which file contains that code you posted? I parsed every .ent and .def file and not found. I want to play around with those a bit.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    @Tzael... I'm curious, which file contains that code you posted? I parsed every .ent and .def file and not found. I want to play around with those a bit.
    Emitters are located in the world cache, use /printsec to ascertain the relevant files to examine! Once you've made some modifications just use the old trick of running the client in offline mode to see (or in this case hear) the changes you've made

One annoying thing about some sounds, is that the sound clips for some effects are way too short. Example: a water sound effect that goes "boo-bloop" every 1.5 seconds... You will find this one at streams or the newer tiny ponds... It's so short that it is immediately obvious it's fake, it takes you out of the immersion. Clips like that should be a few minutes long.

i can even make a similar observation about amereliums ambient sound mod. I like it, but the effects always play at the same point in the song being played. This could be fixed by first, stringing together say 4 of the base song tracks (4 copies of the same song), then applying sounds effects across the 20 minute length, vs just applying them across a 5 minute length.

the files would be larger but more immersive.

I have heard that a revision of the region system is in the works sometime in the future. This would eliminate the need of most (or all?) sound emitters. The way it works now, is when you're in range of a sound emitter (invisible object on the ground throughout Istaria) a track is played (defined in a .def file) and continues to play forever until you move to the range of another sound emitter. If multiple tracks are defined on the .def file, then it has a chance to play one of those listed (but unfortunately, which ever one it picks just loops forever). The revision (no eta) would allow it to loop through multiple tracks, instead of being stuck on the same track. Have you ever been out gathering resources in the same area and after an hour of hearing the same song, you just turn off the music feature, to keep your sanity? Yeah, me too. I am speaking primarily of Sound_Music.def for music tracks. The ambience sounds is setup in Sound_Ambience.def. So keep your fingers crossed that this does get implemented. This would likely encourage folks to keep their music on in the game by having more variety.

When the next client update comes out 388.19, check out how the birds' ambience sounds are looping now, with a nice 3s delay between each looped sound.

Tech team has done a fine job of implementing a new system, but alas, some areas will still need to be updated manually. If you notice any other ambience sounds, stuck in a loop in other areas of the world, please advise the location.

I've been sitting at this spot for the past 30m with the new client and I have to admit it is quite enjoyable now. The volume also adjusts as you move (add or decrease the distance to the emitter).

There's been quite a few posts about this over time, so I just picked this random post (yeah 2014) to add a reply, seemed appropriate.

But the sound emitter system in general has been revamped, so it's quite flexible going forward. I'm pretty excited over this.

Quote Originally Posted by flamefeniks View Post
    Sooo here I am, afk in NT reviewing the forum... Then there's this bird here who keeps going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and doesn't stop singing once. While I know putting the sound of helps, I like istaria sounds. Except for that bird, the bird who can't stop singing and makes me feel like punching a hole in my screen and see if it's able to shut it up.

Anyone agreeing?
    Even though I have not come across it yet, I smell a barbeque chicken in the distance! (I wish!)

Love the new changes to NT. Never liked that place, always reminded me of an old whodini song freaks come out at night.

Thread Information