Thread: A Question to the DEVS - feel free to move to correct forum

Default A Question to the DEVS - feel free to move to correct forum

A question Amon:
    Have there been a lot of changes to the sound definition file the past one or two years that, you know of? As you may or may not I have alternate music files, with 3-4 layers of added ambient effects. Was just wondering if I have to dive into the sound_music.def file again in detail again, to remap everything.
    And I can't seem to enter new lines anymore, so I had to use line item instead o.O

Default Re: A Question to the DEVS - feel free to move to correct forum

I know your question was directed towards a dev (which I am not) but I can answer that.

Coincidentally, I was playing around with your Ambient Sound pack again recently a few days ago. By the way, I love it and recommend it for anyone who reads this post.

Your sound_music.def file is still the same as the current sound_music.def file, so nothing has changed.

I was trying to put together a "mix tape" (a personal mod), changing some tracks around, adding some blank.mp3 files (with a blank sound for about 1-2 minutes) to break up songs playing non stop, etc in the .def file. It didn't work out so well, but at least found a few bugs with missing outerRadius on some of the sound emitters, particularly in Dalimond. Once those are fixed, then what I was trying to do before, will be more likely to succeed.

Off topic, but my most favorite track in the entire game, actually never plays (ancient_ruins music.mp3) . Such a shame. Everyone should listen to this file in /resources/sound/music folder at least once This is one I really want to get into the game's rotation again to other places. I have never found the triggerpoint where this file actually plays

Technically, you do not need to include the sound_music.def in your .zip file. Your MP3's will still be used, since they reside in the resources_override folder. As a test I renamed *.mp3 to *.bak in the /resources/sound/music folder, leaving only sound_music.def . I then unzipped your mod and deleted your .def file (from resources_override). It still works like a charm (is still playing music). So to make sure it will always be compatible, maybe you can redo your zip (remove the .def file). That would make it most compatible, should some new changes occur in the game later on. You really only need to include .def's when they are different from the main games, not necessary if they are the same. As long as the mp3 filenames do not change in the game (and .def), then there wouldn't be any problem with your mod not including the .def file in the .zip.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Off topic, but my most favorite track in the entire game, actually never plays (ancient_ruins music.mp3) . Such a shame. Everyone should listen to this file in /resources/sound/music folder at least once This is one I really want to get into the game's rotation again to other places. I have never found the triggerpoint where this file actually plays

Old Rachival is where it plays.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Old Rachival is where it plays
    Actually, it doesn't. I've flown the entire Old Rachival section previously. Just now re-scoured every inch of this area again. Nada. This track just doesn't get played, as it suggests in the //comments of the sound_music.def file.

I am 99% sure no player will ever hear this track in the game nor in Old Rachival. Why I mentioned this.
    Last edited by Cegaiel; August 13th, 2014 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    Actually, it doesn't. I've flown the entire Old Rachival section previously. Just now re-scoured every inch of this area again. Nada. This track just doesn't get played, as it suggests in the //comments of the sound_music.def file.

I am 99% sure no player will ever hear this track in the game nor in Old Rachival. Why I mentioned this.
    The comments of the def aren't always up to date and can't really be used with any authority to determine usage in-game. There are two sound-emitters setup to use it at: 26152 27345 and 25783 27582. Ah, found the issue. mus_ancient_ruins in the database, ancient_ruins_mus in the def.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Oh great, nice find This means the track will now be played in a future patch!?

You can get it to play now by swapping the name in the def file. It will be fixed for good in the next patch.

Well, you need the .def file as well, as I've messed about a bit with it, making some modifications to what plays where.
    The reason I asked is that a few years back, they renamed a lot of the tracks, and thus moved them around, so I had to make modifications relevant to that. I'll have a look and compare with the current one...
    And I still cannot enter a new line o.O

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    Well, you need the .def file as well
    I mean no disrespect and not trying to nitpick, but you do not (and should not) include your .def file in your .zip file. I compared it line for line. Your .def is 100% identical to the current games' Sound_Music.def . The only exception is a couple of //comment lines, which means nothing.

You said your .def changes the play order. Well it appears that they have adopted your order if that is the case (the 'what plays where'). Because they are identical.

In fact, just yesterday was a new update to Sound_Music.def which fixed the 'Old Rachival' music to start playing again (which has been broken for a VERY long time, Years maybe?):

string name = "ancient_ruins_mus" was changed string name = "mus_ancient_ruins"

So as of two days ago, your .def is now out of synch. By simply removing the .def from your .zip, this would allow it to play correctly (and use the new changes). I heard there are some new sound mods in the pipeline and this may or may not further change the Sound_Music.def in the future; which would then cause your .def to be even more obsolete. Your mod plays just fine without the .def. Trust me, I've tested it quite a long time with different scenarios. So I'm just saying by removing the .def you will allow your mod to keep working but also use any latest game updates. Your MP3's will always override the current .mp3 files even without the .def. Just my 2 cents. But I really like your mod, I've added it to my mirror to be forever downloadable and available (without the .def file in the .zip), which I feel is most forward compatible By keeping your .def in the .zip file, you might override and prevent future game patches from working correctly (ie the recent Old Rachival fix).
    Last edited by Cegaiel; August 23rd, 2014 at 08:42 AM.

In fact, just yesterday was a new update to Sound_Music.def which fixed the 'Old Rachival' music to start playing again (which has been broken for a VERY long time, Years maybe?):
    It has to be a LOT of years, I play this game since day zero and I don't recall of it ever triggering in there.

Said that, my preferred music remains dragon_lunus_mus_02.mp3. I just can't have enough of it, for some reason it resonates with my Lunus dragon!
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

I mean no disrespect and not trying to nitpick, but you do not (and should not) include your .def file in your .zip file. I compared it line for line. Your .def is 100% identical to the current games' Sound_Music.def . The only exception is a couple of //comment lines, which means nothing.

You said your .def changes the play order. Well it appears that they have adopted your order if that is the case (the 'what plays where'). Because they are identical.

string name = "ancient_ruins_mus" was changed string name = "mus_ancient_ruins"

So as of two days ago, your .def is now out of synch. By simply removing the .def from your .zip, this would allow it to play correctly (and use the new changes). I heard there are some new sound mods in the pipeline and this may or may not further change the Sound_Music.def in the future; which would then cause your .def to be even more obsolete. Your mod plays just fine without the .def. Trust me, I've tested it quite a long time with different scenarios. So I'm just saying by removing the .def you will allow your mod to keep working but also use any latest game updates. Your MP3's will always override the current .mp3 files even without the .def. Just my 2 cents. But I really like your mod, I've added it to my mirror to be forever downloadable and available (without the .def file in the .zip), which I feel is most forward compatible By keeping your .def in the .zip file, you might override and prevent future game patches from working correctly (ie the recent Old Rachival fix).

Then you need to look closer - I have made changes, and I can tell you where..

Please share I used a program called WinMerge. I loaded up your def and the games' def file. It highlights any difference. Except for two comments line, it is the same. Maybe they liked your changes and adopted your changes into the game (thus the same now) shrug

Thread Information