Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross-Server Istarian Skype Chat

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Cross-Server Istarian Skype Chat

After sitting on Chaos for a while in silence killing golems alone, flying in circles alone on Order simply because very little people are online, and deciding not to write something in a group chat I'm in because people won't know what I'm talking about, I came to the idea for an Istarian Skype group chat.

In case you don't know, Skype group chats are a text-based but able to be voice-called group of 2 or more people in Skype, a free IM platform.

I'm not sure how everyone in the game feels about Skype itself, whether they use it only for family or for friends like I do, but in general I feel like it'd be an interesting idea to have a relatively large cross-server group Istaria chat just to chat about Istaria-related things - patch notes, rift runs, who solo'ed Reklar recently (I wish), etc. If you need a group for an epic hunt you could just ask for anyone on Chaos if they want to join, and maybe some people who normally wouldn't join would log on to help. Same for rift runs and whatnot.

The issue does arise that some people just don't like each other but in the end that's unavoidable and if Mr. Vinegar and Ms. Baking Soda get mixed, all we can do is just hope they don't react. We'd just have to rely on the good will and manners of people not to start bickering if they want to avoid each other.

I've already created a chatroom for it on Skype and made a few documents on Google Docs with basic rules and a character list for anyone who is in the group (sometimes people don't have Istaria-related usernames). Currently the character list only contains a few people as I write this, but hopefully it'll grow!

So if you want to join and chat with some Istarians out of the game in an IM, please either write here your skype name and characters + their respective shard or send it to me in a private message if you prefer. ^^

My only goal with this is to chat and have fun so please don't be hesitant

Default Re: Cross-Server Istarian Skype Chat

I think this is a great idea! I for one don't play any more but it would be awesome to see whats going on in game, chat with people, find role play partners, get help with quests / offer advice.

Can count me in, you have my skype feel free to add me to the chat. going to promote this on the Istaria-Club on deviant art right meow.

Great idea Istaria is sometimes quiet on chaos shard aswelll my skype is Mazrogal feel free to add me to that group list

Does this mean that public chat channels on the live shards will be used less because people will prefer the hands-free option of speaking instead of typing? I don't mean to be Devil's Advocate, but I think you can see what I'm getting at here! By directing people to a social platform outside of the game itself you are technically reducing the interaction on the shards even further. That means an even quieter experience for new and returning players, most of whom won't know about this unless people spam the public chat channels advertising this communication option.

Interesting dilemma.

I don't know about anyone else, with the possible exception of who I'm actually talking to, but I rarely use skype for voice - just typing. Having voices talking in the background of whatever I'm doing would quickly drive me crazy. Also, being in the skype group doesn't mean people have to pay attention to one or the other.

Quieter experience for new players? Perhaps. But, it's just one more place to be helpful. Not gonna stop me from squishing hatchies in-game in whichever chat they pop up in xD

Glad to hear general approval with the idea. ^^ I'll add the people who asked when I get home from school as I don't have much time right now.

And Tzael, I meant to use the group for typing outside the game mostly to talk across servers and get the attention of those who don't play much/aren't online right now. I wouldn't use it for speaking mostly because not everyone has a microphone or would want to speak. :P

Personally I think this is a great idea, both because ppl can get help but also to see the ones that are no longer with us ingame and talk to them ^^
    Count me in, Rack you have me on Skype so feel free to add me anytime ^^

And as you obviously know, Shashy, I've added you in. ^^

Everyone who has requested to be added has been given a contact request and/or added to the chat already. Seems I need to add people personally before adding them to the chat.

A little update on the state of the chat right now is that we have a mix of Chaos and Order players already with about 13 people. No one from Blight just yet though but hopefully we can get others' attentions!

I also may as well post these here:
    The rules of the chat - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...9vJv-JdFLXrBns
    List of current added players - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...vSbHdEAqRRV_D8

If you prefer to remain as an anonymous player in the chat due to your skype having your real name or any other reason, just tell me and I'll lock it down and write you up as 'anonymous'.

Skype does not like my Win XP machine.

>
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

I haven't played Istaria in a long long time, and I don't know when I'll next get to play as I've been having very severe financial difficulties to the tune of not even being able to pay the bills month-to-month...

But I'd like to maybe hop into the group chat. Can't guarantee I'll stay, since I'm flighty and there's every chance that being in there will just make me feel even more frustrated than I already am that I'm unable to come back to the game when I really want to, but hey.

Skype name is wirevix and my only character that people are likely to remember anymore was Tchanel from Order.
    Tchanel Rulskyl, Ancient of Order.
    Currently unable to return due to being poor.

It's fine if you don't talk much if things make you feel awkward or anything, and it's perfectly fine to leave if you don't like it. ^^ I'll sent you a request asap

this gives me an excuse to re-install Skype...

Great idea Racktor!
    I already do that since years, with my Ladyfriends from Chaos and Blight
    (we are chatting about cats and kids and rock`n` roll- but well- open for any other sujet^^)
    So count me in-you already have all ya need^^
    In the beginnings, Disintergrate shanghaied all who weren`t fast enough into skype- not only for the hunts,
    but to talk and gossip^^ and spend day/evening together.
    It always was a "win" for Istaria.
    Gamers are multi-tasking: We could fight and skype and still have an eye on the chat channels
    - so no one outside the skype group was parched in the "desert of communication".
    If this is granted- all will win!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    Gamers are multi-tasking: We could fight and skype and still have an eye on the chat channels
    - so no one outside the skype group was parched in the "desert of communication".
    If this is granted- all will win!
    I'm kinda confused by this, of course someone can be logged into Skype and still watch chat channels, but it does deprive all those who don't use Skype or other voice comms from a portion of the conversation. How does this work out as "all will win" given that recently the most popular chat channels are now sitting idle for hours at a time?

Given the recent significant decline in population on the live shards I think we as players should be asking ourselves if we really want to contribute to further decline of the social interaction on our shards. I doubt anyone's going to listen to me though, most people are probably thinking "Yay! I don't have to type anymore!" with no consideration for the effect it is going to have on the game itself.

Tzael,
    I agree with your concerns in general:
    No matter if its Order or Chaos or Blight- it seems noone wants to talk in the chats anymore.
    The silence sometimes is heartbreaking.
    Maybe we need to find out something, that makes folks participate in chats again.
    But- will not skyping solve that prob? I doubt it.

Those who know me-would not say that I am more the*coughs* silent one.
    But I wear my headphones most of the time- (also skyping with folks, who have left the game.
    Sometimes I can even persuede them to give it another try).
    I ask new players to use skype , cause its much easier for me to explain the game this way- than typing stuff in the chats, where I have to fight with bad eyes and embarrassing typos.
    I can only talk about me and Flame- but headphones never stopped us from watching market and other chats- so we can jump in a discussion, or help someone with his/her needs or questions.

But as said- the silence in the "official" chats sometimes even in guildchat often is depressing.
    Seems that talking "voice to voice" works better for Istarians atm.
    Nothing wrong with that?

Sorry LovWyrm, I'm not trying to say that voice chat is a bad thing. Like when we spoke about it in the game, I'm looking at the long-term impact on already quiet servers whereas you're able to see the short-term benefits. It's perfectly okay for people to have opposing opinions and I'm glad that when we talked about it in-game we were both able to understand each others' perspective and I believe we are both respectful of differing opinions

The old Horizons IRC channel is another option for including people who no longer play Istaria. I admit I've only logged into it once in the last few months but when I did I saw a number of old names there. I don't think the IRC channel takes anything away from the game, and I remember when Fridlekh released a utility that allowed us to combine IRC and in-game chat channels, that was pretty awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Tzael View Post
    I doubt anyone's going to listen to me though, most people are probably thinking "Yay! I don't have to type anymore!" with no consideration for the effect it is going to have on the game itself.
    As I said before, there is no voice-to-voice. It's all typing. Now that there are 22 people it's impossible to voice chat because Skype doesn't support free voice chatting for over 20 people. Plus, I never meant to take away from the original channels; it's more of a means of communications across shards and getting people from offline to online if they're needed and whatnot. Sometimes people log on and say hi without logging into Istaria because they have no time but they just want to say hi to their friends. In-game channels will always have their use, you wouldn't post into the skype chat that you "wtb 8000 essence orbs pst" and not everyone owns Skype anyway, so there will always be people ingame you want to talk to outside of skype. I.E. you need a group for an epic hunt, so you ask the group and then ask Marketplace for those who either aren't on skype or don't own skype. People would still write in channels if they want to talk to people without tabbing out of the game and risking a crash. They'd also want to talk to their group only if they're doing something and use /g.

TL;DR I'm sure the chat on skype and the istaria in-game chats work just fine together as they have similar, but different uses. ^^

Also we didn't ignore you the first time, I did already say that there's no voice chat when you wrote at first -

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor
    Tzael, I meant to use the group for typing outside the game mostly to talk across servers and get the attention of those who don't play much/aren't online right now. I wouldn't use it for speaking mostly because not everyone has a microphone or would want to speak. :P

I got that completely wrong- thought its all a headphone thing.
    As I´m not a friend of too much typing- I shall not be heard there to often.
    But its a good thing- no doubt. Esp. for messenges and things like that.
    Have fun:-)

there are more different ways to keep in touch other than skype .. Raid call or teamspeak 3 and they are set up to handle more players than skype and yes they are both free downloads on computers or you can install apps on your smart phone for a fee
    Last edited by terrox; September 11th, 2014 at 11:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Quebec (Canada) // Ota'fakag, Trandalar (Order)

That's a good idea! Add me in if you can Rack, I'd be glad to be part of this. Especially since I can't log in the game often these days... second year of college started kinda roughly for me. Then with this I can keep more in touch with you guys. If an event happens in game or someone needs help anyone not logged in the game can know, I like that haha!
    Order shard
    Levanan: Ancient Helian drake - 100/100/28 ~ Navkiren: Ancient Lunus drake ~ Nordis: Adult Helian dragoness ~ Sarwulf: Hatchling ~ Aithne: Hatchling
    DeviantArt: Iceveyns

Thread Information