Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The red barrier debate

Default The red barrier debate

Yesterday night I was just a bit disappointed when I dragged my CD to a nearby settlement (in hope for a vault) only to find out, that this plot was locked.

Now, after a hot debate in the Market channel (which was resulting in some not so nice 'personal' arguments) I only want to say a few words.

1. yes, I understand that every plot owner has the right do do whatever they want with their plot. noone is forced to open all their buildings for all.

2. yes, I understand that there are different playstyles which differ from the way I play the game.

Since plot structure access can be set for each structure (except tress ;) maybe) I would love to see the vaults at last to be free for all to use.

There are some plots in highly populated areas, and the vault access is a great relief for ALL crafters.
    So please, think again about makeing the vault access free for all.

You do not have to open your connies, pawnies, or even machines (if you wish so) but please, please make the vaults free for all.

I will try to contact the people personally in game, but they are not always online.
    I also know, that sometimes the locking is set accidentally by default.

So, plot owners please check your plots for restrictions.

The whole community will acknowledge that, for sure.

And the dragon players, too :)
    -- || knoccest of the tailors. period.

Boryon

Default Re: The red barrier debate

You can't lock machines atm. See the tinker shop in pars for an example (not a guy in my guild, but I can use it fine).

Boryon

What really gets me going is EMPTY locked plots... [:|]

I just make sure I fly high over towns, but it is rather annoying.

Spirit

If ye ask me, theres only 2 reasons to lock anyone out:

1. If your house is at Felucca at UO and you want to keep PKers out
    2. If some annoyoing lama rider gets in to your house and rides up and down, up and down the stairs 30 times and then ride around like a wirlewind inside it while you craft. *grins*

I locked one house for reason 1 and locked out one player at Trammel for reason 2. Otherwise? Why lock a plot at Hz at all???? I cant understand it really.
    Vanaondo
    The RP guild Kushan Sogd at Harro, Unity Shard
    Download and install Pekkas Map Pack v2.9 today and HCC 0.26 Beta is there too

to quete Monty python :
    "We interupt this program to annoy you and make things generally irritating for you"..
    I'ts about the only reason i can think of ^^
    Isair Maelowyn [Retired]

Oh and to stop the untidy miners who used to leave odd bits of ore all over your floor instead of putting them in the eat me bin. *winks*

I would be inclined to hope that people don't put barriers around plots and do leave vaults available for all to use.

Unfortunately, seeing the fast comings and goings of neighbours already at Aiya, I don't mind confessing to be building the third vault in that little settlement. It will take me forever to finish no doubt, but will eventually offer some comfort that if I am the only person with a plot there, I can, at least, have convenient access to my bank box.

Rainbow

Oh and to stop the untidy miners who used to leave odd bits of ore all over your floor instead of putting them in the eat me bin. *winks*
    Hmm... Didnt thought about that, but i never left any small ore at others plots and in some way I never found small tiny ore at one of my houses that was next to a mountain but i had so much junk locked down, so I would hardly boticed it anyway like barrels, shells, loooooooooads of plants as I was a gardener, sand, hay, weat and you name it... Wires too and some spread out tools and runebooks.
    Vanaondo
    The RP guild Kushan Sogd at Harro, Unity Shard
    Download and install Pekkas Map Pack v2.9 today and HCC 0.26 Beta is there too

Slate

Barriers are a pain in the ...

if you dont want people running over your plot.. build a wall.. dont want someone walking in to your house .. lock it off.

Leave the barriers down.

The idea of building up your plot should be for community aswell as personal use. Most people i knowin the standard and small plots try and build something the neighbour doesnt have. So the area doesnt have 15 stone working shops.. 25 blacksmiths but no woodworking.

BTW even in Trammel i tried to bar the scruffy/mad* person .. not the house

(*del where applicable)

There is a bug on some plots ie. arua guildplot where if a red barrier
    is there we have to relog and manually delete unity part of world cashe,

which overcomes this red barrier,plot itself and vault is available to all.
    Unity

Kendato

hi, i cant imagine, if there is an important reason to lock plots withmachines. I am a plotowner in Parsinia and I won´t keep ppl off my plot. Maybe i can have an advantage by using my jm tinkerer shop on my own, but hey! there is no PvP. There is no long-lasting crafter challenge,because almost very hard-working Crafter reaches a high lvl.
    But thats only my thoughts. On Earth we had some plots locked, because they wanted to use the consi as a guild storage. Now with Storage i cant find any reason apart from a small advantage. Where is the idea of a community ? I loved that one on earth, but new worlds - new rules :(

See you on Unity
    Kendato

I can see a reason for red-walling... and I hope they do something to take that reason away, at long last (I've been having trouble with this and making notes and posts about it every now and then since just about launch...).

I want to let all people use my plot. And I do..
    I however do nót want to let all people rummage through my private belongings; ór through the guild-belongings on the guildhouse.
    I DO want my alts (some of which are NOT in the same guild) and people I might choosefor that,to be able to get to private belongings and to stuff on the guild-house.

The ONLY way to achieve this now, is to red-wall your plot, and make a friends-list. Because you ónly can make a friendslist for the plot as a whole.

Each and every structure (oh well, forget about trees, ok ;) ) should have it's own friendslist; that is the ONLY way that these ongoing difficulties will ever come to an end.

I choose nonetheless for nót red-walling my plot... my hatred of them is big enough to not use it. But that dóes mean I have to lock my own alts (and others if I would want them in) óut of using what is really meant by me for using by them...

So there you have a good reason why people with a slightly less amount of hatred for red-walls would certainly, and with good reason, put up a red wall... so the ball is in AE's court. Make the permissions for each and every structure complete, at long last: so include a friendslist everywhere. And thén take those red walls completely out of the game, please....

Exellent point Galilee [Y] This is exactly the reason I red-wall my plot, coz any alts I dont have in guild but need to transfere to cant be done in same way as 'allow guild'.

I can understand why people get a little annoyed about red-walls but for the reason you have outlined it is essential sometimes, saying that tho I try to limit how often I transfere things from char to char plus plot I got atm is where nobody will pass by and crash into a walland also has no machines [:P]

daysleeper

Since the only vault in south gate is no longer accessable to public because of a red wall, I decided to pull down my planned buildings and fit in a new vault on my plot!Plot will hopefully be planned tonight ortommorrow, depending on when server is up again.This vault will allways be open to public. If you want to help build it up for the town, your help would be highly appreciated!

Got pretty annoyed when my planned plot building got shattered by this wall. Then again its the right of the plots ownerto block out the community if he sowishes.
    ButI can bet on that many people never planned a vault on their plot cause of this vault. So thx alot. Now closest vault is feladen, Harro orSelen if they have built one yet.

So to everyone complaining about all the vaults in some towns, this is the reason for it, you never know when your neighbour wants to be an "******" and lock youand the community out of his/her vault. BTWnot calling the vault owner in SG an ******. Dont know him/her. Probabably has his/her reasons.

It shall be noted that I dont know if the owner have any structures that for some reasons need limited access, since server is down atm I have no way to cheek.

-daysleeper-

frera

do u even get money from havin things like gambling halls, shops if they make a proffit.. they should do that it would be a good idea.

hmm

ok its the decision of the owner

but i would like to see no red barrier, moving is very frustrating if you bang your head on this walls

i hope there will be a peacefull time for us =)

Morenth

Quote Originally Posted by Galilee
    I however do nót want to let all people rummage through my private belongings; ór through the guild-belongings on the guildhouse.
    I DO want my alts (some of which are NOT in the same guild) and people I might choosefor that,to be able to get to private belongings and to stuff on the guild-house.

The ONLY way to achieve this now, is to red-wall your plot, and make a friends-list. Because you ónly can make a friendslist for the plot as a whole.
    Before having a plot, I was totally against red wall too... but now, after having won a nice plot and beginning to construct houses and silos, the only solutionto "protect" what I store in those storages is to deny access tomyplot (and to put a "friend list" for my alts and good friends).

Don't know what I'll do (ermmm... Hz is not working, so I won't do anything [:P]) but I think that nobody has the "good" advice coz the pros and cons for red wall are ... "equivalent" [:S]

But then Galilee also wrote:

I choose nonetheless for nót red-walling my plot... my hatred of them is big enough to not use it. But that dóes mean I have to lock my own alts (and others if I would want them in) óut of using what is really meant by me for using by them...
    And the solution should simply be well devised entrance/denial choices for every seperate building. So in short: make the big red wall into small red barriers in the building-entrances (or better still: make them actually look like doors, now how about thát as a novel idea....[;)]).

The day after AE finally, at long last, gives us this kind of solution for our buildings, should be a national holiday. Devoted to the burning down, and NEVER returning, of each and every hated red wallwe havenow. Walls that véry often indeed are used for 'fun' or 'spite' or 'teasing' or simply 'MINE, get off'; whatever may be the intelligent 'reasons' that some come up with...
    But, and sadly enough so, there área few'very reasonable' reasons for using them too... my only wish in this respect is: take away thóse reasons asap by fixing it; and then take away those da** alienating red barriers!

I'm opposed to restricting access to plots with vault and or machines...even to restricting to guild only. I dont like to see others doing it (to me) so I wont do it to them. period.
    Myca Ghimerov, Fiendish Wizard, Sorcerer, Enchanter, Mason. Retired.

Proud Member of the Steel Phoenix

I'm opposed to restricting access to plots with vault and or machines...
    Agree Myca that there can't be justifiable reasons for barring access to vaults or workshops. So what is needed arewell devised entrance/denial mechanisms for every building that has storage in it: rest not needed and even not wanted[:)]

Yes, access restriction for storage thingies - also using friendlist - would be really helpfull.
    But I've to say that I wonder a little about the reason why some doesn't have all their alts in the same guild[:$]

And yes I really don't like those invisible/red walls and I really hate totaly empty plots which are locked to have something to run against[8o|]

Joaqim - Multiclassed God on Unity
    "I'm Immortal, I'm Glorious, I'm Supreme, I'm My Saviour"

Beleenda - Goddess of Melee
    "Kill 'em all, let God sort them out"

Thread Information