Thread: Quest Structure

Default Quest Structure

This is more about the dragon tutorial quests than anything else (it's been a while since I've tried the later quests, but I will comment on how they were under the presumption they're the same).

Now I don't know exactly what the capabilities of the game are, but I do know it has the capability to post private text to the player and update quest steps when you reach a certain location, and I think this could be used to reduce the time you spend running back and forth. This is particularly bad during the dragon tutorial in New Trismus; the dragon crafting trainer is particularly bad for sending you back over and over again to the same few spots. I think if rather than having to go back and speak to the trainer over and over after each material acquisition, you'd be routinely guided to gather all your items at once, it would help reduce the grind.

Note this isn't as much of a problem later as during later craft quests the game no longer logs gathering resources, but just tells you to 'make an item', so it's primarily the earlier quests. That said, if there was a dragon teacher closer to the materials or if Kerian could move to the area while you're on these quests, that would be a little more interactive, but I'm not sure what the system is capable of doing with NPCs.

My second suggestion is to allow players to take multiple quests from an NPC at once. If I remember correctly while playing my first dragon, you were only allowed to take one quest from each NPC, or have one training quest (Gold rage quests, etc) active at a time. I never really understood this and always put it down to padding out the time taken, but I think it would be a nice quality of life improvement when completing quests if you didn't have to backtrack for each one.

I understand that HZ in particular might have issues with this either for technical reasons or that it will make completing quests faster due to saving on travel time, but just tossing it out there.

Default Re: Quest Structure

Tutorial quests...Y E S. Oh my god yes. yes. all the yes.
    When starting new characters there's a reason i skip the NT quests, despite it being actually better for xp and getting forms to set them up later to do the tutorial i awalys never do them beacuse oh my god i do NOT wnat to run one route like 6 times to have only gathered 2 things.
    Granted i'm an old player so i can do that, but i don't see how it's going to make it too confusing to miss out one step of a quest - Gather thing A, go to Keiran, Gather thing B, go back to kerian...miss out the first retrun, Gather thing A, gather thing B and then return and new players will probably like the tutorials a lot more than they do. (And yes, i can't place my finger on exaclty which steps do this, but i know there's a lot of pointless running around during the tutorial.)

As for multiple quests form an NPC at once - this is possible. Yes. BuUUUT. In Kion all quests are 1 at a time form an NPC because it's meant to not put a huge load a new player at once//not to overwhelm new players..or something along those lines. (and i've taken multiple quests form an NPC before, so it's posisble, but i'm pretty sure the reason gerix doesn't offer more than one quest at once is for something like this)
    A quality of life imporvement that has previously been suggested is the ability to be able to take one kion craft and adventure quest at the same time (because currently, you either take 1 quest form Gerix OR Xarinnis). No idea if the devs ever considered it, or if they did how far down it is on their priority list.

I have seen players been confused by this system however, becase form t2+ for dragons, you can take all quests at once, and some palyers still believe after kion you can only do 1 at a time. So if they don't change it to be able to take multiple quests at once, i think they should at least add in something to explain that a player can take all quests at once after kion.

Thread Information