Thread: Doing Research on Istaria for Class: Subject is MMORPG Preservation

Default Doing Research on Istaria for Class: Subject is MMORPG Preservation

Hi everyone,

I am a returning player, but I am returning in a different way than just playing. I am a Master's student in information science interested in digital archives who would like to focus on MMORPG preservation (which is uniquely difficult even in relation to other video games). I am studying the different ways in which developers, gaming communities, and arhivists/information scientists archive games, even before they are sunsetted (as you know, MMORPGs undergo many updates to their clients over the years).

For the next few days, I will be on the forums and in game (I will be making a character tonight and getting him past the tutorial area and onto the starter isle where you first really begin to play and learn the game) observing and participating. If anyone wants to chat ingame, I'll be posting my character's name in this thread once I've found a suitable one. Feel free to ask me any questions (even critical ones, if you see the need).

Default Re: Doing Research on Istaria for Class: Subject is MMORPG Preservation

My character name is Pearce for anyone who wishes to look me up

There are three shards to play on. Chaos, Blight, Order which one are you in Pearce?

I am on Chaos.

I will be longing on for an hour or so tonight at 6 pm to Chaos. Feel free to stop by NT; I will be recording, so if you have any concerns about that let me know and I can turn it off while interacting.

I'm a veteran player, but I haven't logged in the game for 2ish years. I'm willing to bet 50 bucks that NT is gonna have a couple ancient dragons laying in the courtyard with an annoying following of lvl 1-10 hatchlings "meeping" and gliding off the cliff next to town. Make a private channel for interested people and you will save money from all the keyboards you will not be breaking with your face out of frustration/horror.

Thread Information