Thread: "Highlight" Corpses with Loot

Default "Highlight" Corpses with Loot

This is an idea I had a little while back, but forgot to make a thread for it.

I think there should be a very subtle particle effect on corpses that have not yet been looted. Guild Wars 2 does something similar to this, where dead enemies have a slight golden sparkle to them when they have unclaimed loot. It wouldn't be anything drastic, probably just similar to the green effect that blighted resources give off. It would make it easier when killing large groups of enemies, since I know I've had times where I attempted to loot the same enemy several times because I forgot if I did or not.

I have other suggestions when it comes to loot itself, such as making it instanced to individual players like all quest drops are (especially for players in groups), but I'll just leave my suggestion to this for now. c:

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Re: "Highlight" Corpses with Loot

I know this has been suggested before and I think there was a reason as to why it couldn't be implement OR it was added to the list of little fluff things to implement that's low priority. I can't remember though and can't find the thread for the life of me.

Something you can do in the meantime so you know what you have looted and what you have not is to, first of all, get the setscale mod. Then make a macro on your hotkey bar that does /loot and /setscale .25. All of your looted corpses will be tiny and all of your unlooted ones will be big. Only downside is if you accidentally click it you are suddenly fighting a minigolem or if you aren't selecting anything, you're tiny. Can't remember who first gave me this suggestion but I've found it super helpful.

I think what was specifically suggested that could work, though, was adding a particle effect to play when corpses have loot on them still.

Would be a neat fix up.

I'm too used to using /cnc /loot though, but I can see why this would be needed. I only use that hotkey after killing a mob and expect loot, not when running around on the off chance I missed a corpse.
    rip

I had a brief technical discussion about a similar thing a few months ago. Turns out corpses don't know they have loot until someone tries to loot them. Yes, we have Schrodinger's corpses. (Or to align with the classic thought experiment: until someone comes along and clicks 'loot', a corpse simultaneously has loot and doesn't have loot.)

So, doing <something> when a corpse has loot isn't really feasible.

There's a low-priority activity to see if we can play an effect when a corpse dies, that would suggest to the observer "hey, you should try looting this", however that's not quite what you want either.

That said, the client does have some state about a corpse, so it may be possible to keep track of whether or not -you- specifically looted it previously, but that state would get reset as soon as the corpse were unloaded (such as moving away a fair distance and coming back), similar to /setscale.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

ROFL Steelclaw
    that made Flame`s and my day

Never heard a better explanation of Schrödinger`s theory.
    I gladly subsitude the cat for a golem.
    (My cats vote for that too)
    Quantum physics for Istarians.

Maybe teaching semi-intelligents and intelligents a lesson in Platon`s cave would help here??^^
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    ... Yes, we have Schrodinger's corpses. (Or to align with the classic thought experiment: until someone comes along and clicks 'loot', a corpse simultaneously has loot and doesn't have loot.)
    fabulous Steelclaw .. love it
    Lio de Purr [Proud Saris] -------------------------------- 100 : HLR / SPRT -- 63 MAG
    100 : MIN/GTH - CRP/ENC/FIT/MSN/WVR - JWL - FLT/WPN/ARM - Tlr=80
    Huffenpuff [Adult Helian] ---------------------------------- 100 : DCra -- 76 Drag Adv.
    <The Alliance> Acul - Harro - Wolf's Paw - Drift Pt - Fabric Isle <CHAOS>

I say its a good idea. I always have trouble remembering what I looted when I kill a large group of enemies like those maggots in Dralnoks Doom. It would be convenient to know which enemies you have already looted and those that you havent. I totally agree that this would be a good idea. Though I'm surprised why the devs wouldn't take it. I would. But I'm sure they have their reasons. Its best not to question them.
    FerudaPurplePenDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Feruda View Post
    I say its a good idea. I always have trouble remembering what I looted when I kill a large group of enemies like those maggots in Dralnoks Doom. It would be convenient to know which enemies you have already looted and those that you havent. I totally agree that this would be a good idea. Though I'm surprised why the devs wouldn't take it. I would. But I'm sure they have their reasons. Its best not to question them.
    Re-read this thread, the reason why we cannot do it was already explained.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Fine with me. Im not going to judge your reasons.
    FerudaPurplePenDragon

My understanding of the objective is not to show which corpses carry loot, but rather which corpses have been examined for loot. If this is true, then a simple macro containing cnc, loot and setscale to shrink examined corpse fills the need quite nicely. That is to say when no unshrunk sorpses remain the "looting" has been completed, as has any need to check a corpse for possible loot availability.

Knossos

Quote Originally Posted by Knossos View Post
    My understanding of the objective is not to show which corpses carry loot, but rather which corpses have been examined for loot. If this is true, then a simple macro containing cnc, loot and setscale to shrink examined corpse fills the need quite nicely. That is to say when no unshrunk sorpses remain the "looting" has been completed, as has any need to check a corpse for possible loot availability.

Knossos
    Not a bad idea. A good thought though. But I'm sure nothing is going to change anytime soon. But I can still tell what I looted and didnt. Just thought it would be helpful to other players.
    FerudaPurplePenDragon

Thread Information