Thread: a dead horse?

Default a dead horse?

I don`t know if I am the only one, who was and still is annoyed again-
    every time our mobs are renamed in a way you need to learn them like vocabulary of a foreign language.
    I cannot support that.
    So if ( new ) players ask where to find mob x or y-
    I have to say,that I do not know.

I am sure you (devs) invested time in that- and there is a sense behind-
    A sense I still cannot see.

All in all- is the renaming not helpful and healthy for the game and its players- in my eyes
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Default Re: a dead horse?

I think that's quite a valid point.

I'd add that changing mob names has more cons than pros. The only con I can see is that it looks like a 'proper' fantasty MMO game name.

Meanwhile, Ceg has to update the map pack (which honestly I could not live without), everyone has to relearn the new names-> Location, devs have to go through the quests and make sure everything is changed so no one gets confused. It seems far more trouble than it's worth.

actually they does not. only my memory, where I've hunt with previos char, helps me do quest with new, when mobs was renamed in world, but not in quest text
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16594&dateline=140663  6576
    Greedy dragon

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    All in all- is the renaming not helpful and healthy for the game and its players- in my eyes
    Completely agree.

I really had to think about whether someone should officially weigh in on this thread or not. And a part of me seriously wonders why I'm doing so, as this comes up every single time a mob is renamed, but here goes anyway.

To answer the original question and put it bluntly, yes, it is a dead horse issue. We are, as we see fit, going to continue to rename mobs. But to further expand on that is why I'm going to, especially given that with the next patch I'll be the one directly responsible for renaming the various mobs.

We are trying to correct something that was done when the game was first released. We're trying to build immersion and roleplay opportunities in what is supposed to be a roleplaying game. While the descriptive names (Blue Golem, Topaz Golem, Big Skeleton, Sand Pygmy) may have worked in the past, it isn't very story-line building to have to say "Go kill a big skeleton." However, saying that you were able to say as part of a quest "I need your help pushing back a tribe of Agh'kuk Warriors. They've been harassing the locals and preventing trade." gives you something to build on personally for your particular character. You can take that quest starter and from it make a tale. And when you combine it with other stories, suddenly you are immersed in a world where you aren't just playing a saris, or a dragon, or, yes even a human, for a few hours a day. You're being a hero or heroine who helped someone do something only you can do.

And sure, you can say that it is harder to find the "level 10 sand pygmies" because they've been renamed... but what actually is a level 10 anything to your character? And what, exactly, is a sand pygmy for that matter? Most creatures even in this world have specific names that distinguish them from others. I'd much rather know that the "dog" I adopted is a Black Lab than a Dingo, though technically both are dogs. And I think you'll find that with most other MMO's the mob names aren't just "skeleton" but are somehow known and distinguished as well.

Anyway... long answer, the short of which is that yes, as it fits the storyline, mobs will be renamed. And we will do our best to ensure that as they are renamed, whatever they are used in is updated to reflect that new name.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    I don`t know if I am the only one, who was and still is annoyed again-
    every time our mobs are renamed in a way you need to learn them like vocabulary of a foreign language.
    I cannot support that.
    So if ( new ) players ask where to find mob x or y-
    I have to say,that I do not know.

I am sure you (devs) invested time in that- and there is a sense behind-
    A sense I still cannot see.

I totally agree with your!
    Trying to find some weird renamed mob doesn't emerge me in a story, it - at utmost - emerges me in frustration.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

more RP-ing was, when guards, after sending you protect town, join your fight, and not going on and on, telling that all good, when you diyng near him; not in words he use when sending you.
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16594&dateline=140663  6576
    Greedy dragon

Thank you Velea, for taking time to answer!

It did not convince me and did not change my mind:
    Like Alisto said- this is the only pro (if at all)- the cons still are in mayority.
    Esp. as rp is only on Order with a population of about 10 players average-and not all of them do rp.
    And rp would not be touched by the old names-

Sorry that I insist- but as a paying customer(^^) I regard this as a big annoyance that derogates fun and flow of my precious ingame time.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

I agree with Lov. Sure having distinct names CAN build on story, but Order as the actual Roleplay server, barely if at all has any RP anymore. So I personaly don`t see the reasoning for all the mob renaming at this point. I don`t think many realize (especialy on Blight, or Chaos) that Order as a server, has lost most of it`s role players. What few still remain, and RP, really don`t care about mob name vs. story building. I personaly think, as a subbed player, the devs should be focusing on more crucial issues with the game like stability, graphics, bugs, and glitches. If they want to improve Istaria, and bring in new players, (any maybe give inspiration for old players to possibly return), Ask US what we would like. and if it`s feasable, work on it. If it`s a matter of funds, I`m sure those of us willing, (and able) would be happy to fund a donation pool to get things going.

I still think this game should be on Steam. Old games like System Shock 2 have come back (was made in 1999).

It depends which server board I think is which.

Cormyr - Istaria was put on Steam Greenlight a while back and is Greenlit now, actually. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...chtext=istaria

(Sorry if I'm off-topic)

Renaming should have been something done at the beginning. All this causes now is inconvenience. Those of us who pay attention to lore find it elsewhere, and rarely does the lore even label these specific races, instead referring to them as "ogre" or "skulk" etc.

Missed the train over a decade.
    rip

Racktor - I searched on steam for the game before posting. Didn't find anything, but didn't check greenlight. Thanks for the link.

I find it annoying, as an ancient and old player, to be asked "Help me find/kill X" and I can only reply with "Ya, in my day, that didn't exist." Or "They are over there!" And later get a message back "There were golems there, not wolves!" And a lot of "Wow how can you be an old player but not know a THING about the world? How'd you get there!?!?!?"

It sucks =/

Quote Originally Posted by Chioxin View Post
    I find it annoying, as an ancient and old player, to be asked "Help me find/kill X" and I can only reply with "Ya, in my day, that didn't exist." Or "They are over there!" And later get a message back "There were golems there, not wolves!" And a lot of "Wow how can you be an old player but not know a THING about the world? How'd you get there!?!?!?"

It sucks =/
    It does Chio but sadly the world of istaria is evolving and growing.. the changes are mostly for the better.. we just have to ride them out. and go with the flow
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

Thread Information