Thread: Talk to the Team: Quest Player Project

Default Talk to the Team: Quest Player Project

Was mentioned in Skype regarding the proposed Dragon breath abilities (you can read about them here) that they could use quests and lore related to the ARoP and Rift. We're very busy with the Tier3 Revamp, but we would like to see these new breaths in-game sooner rather than later. To that end, we'd like to open it up for players to propose ideas or even detailed quests/lore. Please post your ideas here or submit them to us.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Quest Player Project

I'm not a huge writer but I will put my idea here on the forums for other players to use if they do intend to write for the game -

Considering the new breaths will possibly come from the Rift tokens, dragons could have figured out ways to channel the energies of the Rift token into their own hearts/souls to acquire the abilities personally. The vendor of the abilities/tokens would be possibly a scholar or something that helped figure out the new technique.

Pretty rough but it's a basis to work off of. Will love to see what players come up with. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    I'm not a huge writer but I will put my idea here on the forums for other players to use if they do intend to write for the game -

Considering the new breaths will possibly come from the Rift tokens, dragons could have figured out ways to channel the energies of the Rift token into their own hearts/souls to acquire the abilities personally. The vendor of the abilities/tokens would be possibly a scholar or something that helped figure out the new technique.

Pretty rough but it's a basis to work off of. Will love to see what players come up with. :)
    That is sort of how I figured this would work with the tokens given that the rift is such a broad and in my mind, random thing. That's not a bad idea about the trainers and how they would go about dragons learning different breaths! You could explain the way it was done or learned from rift tokens similar to the way you would learn acid breath from beetle parts and use a scholar similar to the one that teaches/grants you primal boon or drain bolt? I've got some ideas but need the time to sit down and write them out clearly as they are very abstract atm. Its 3am where I am so no go on fleshing that out with school back in session, but I'd be happy to put down anything I can come up with for ideas.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Perhaps put the NPC quest givers for these new Breaths on the bottom of the Rift, you know like when you fall off and take that long drop.
    Could be explained then why these skills were lost as they had followed the sleeper thru but fell off and wandered the depths ever since trying to find a way back up to teach these 'old' forgotten breath skills. ?

The sleeper could trigger the start of the quest with something like :-
    "As time passes I could swear I still hear the voices of comrades long since passed come and go, below in the world forgotten to me now. It seems some memories are to strong from the old world to be completely forgotten..."
    Last edited by Sindala; January 7th, 2015 at 08:38 AM.

irl: Switzerland Istaria: Pleasant Canyon (Chaos)

Quote Originally Posted by Sindala View Post
    Perhaps put the NPC quest givers for these new Breaths on the bottom of the Rift, you know like when you fall off and take that long drop.
    Could be explained then why these skills were lost as they had followed the sleeper thru but fell off and wandered the depths ever since trying to find a way back up to teach these 'old' forgotten breath skills. ?

The sleeper could trigger the start of the quest with something like :-
    "As time passes I could swear I still hear the voices of comrades long since passed come and go, below in the world forgotten to me now. It seems some memories are to strong from the old world to be completely forgotten..."
    I personally find this an awesome and interesting idea ^^

I've personally not come up with a better idea yet, but I just wanted to say that, if you guys need someone to write, I'd happily apply.
    I'm no professional, but I like writing and was told I'm doing a good job.
    I'm just not 100% familiar with istarian lore yet as I've not yet reached ancient-hood (even though I've been playing for three years at least) But I can read up on this ^^
    The greatest to be is not a hero, but a person who inspires others to be heroes ^^

irl: Switzerland Istaria: Pleasant Canyon (Chaos)

Then again... Why make the new breath weapons an ancient knowledge that has been rediscovered....
    They could also be something that was just developed. Or that is developed with the help of the player/quester.

Like... I looked over the new breath weapons thread (didn't read all but some) and there was for example a breath that has similar effects to Reklar's, or a poisonous breath. This sparked another lore idea at first and new ones followed. Here are three 'futuristic' lores^^:

Maybe the player could be helping to develop new breaths by, for example, daring to actually incorporate blight magic into his own magic (thus getting Reklar like breath). After all, blight magic is still just magic, it's just the minds of those who used it that got corrupted. Or maybe it's a dragon-naka magic unified spell. Meaning the dragons had first to be willing to fuse their magic with the one of nakas, or they had to accept naka magic into themselves to use that new breath.

Or maybe it's something chemistry based (would fit a better poison or anything indirectly non magical actually)? Like a new mineral that was found and that can cause a reaction with one's normal breath to form a new one? Or maybe it's the discovery of a new life form (like an insect, the liver of a 7-leged cow XD, a fruit or root) that possesses chemicals never known or thought of before? If it's a life-form, maybe something new migrated over the oceans? Or they just simply evolved in a less explored corner of Istaria.

Or maybe it's even mechanic. Like, a bit cyber dragon like XD But instead of machine limbs it's a mechanical gland, a filter, or something that has to be crafted first and then implanted via surgery. Maybe one would need a dragon partner who has a certain stats minimum (like high focuse or power as they affect healing spells) to preform that surgery (Here an additional quest line could be implemented to gain 'surgical' abilities, maybe combined with additional healing stats. And so that it's not spammeda and everybody gets it the stats requirements can be set high so only dragons who are are more focused on magic instead of TnC and strenght, can get it (dragon healer focus, yay :D)). Or a non dragon partner is required as surgery might be invented by the nakas. Or maybe a Gnome has to crawl down a dragon's throat to put whatever device is needed in his body or something XD

Just some suggestions on a futuristic (Istaria wise futuristic, not necessary sci-fi) instead of 'rediscovering forgotten knowledge' setup. Having progress for once instead of always discovering powers from the past (I know that it's the setting that before the blight war there was more knowledge and such that got lost during the war and has to be rediscovered, but still) might be a nice refresher for Istarian lore.
    The greatest to be is not a hero, but a person who inspires others to be heroes ^^

Thread Information