View Poll Results: Which colored effect for Bristugo & Genevia?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colored Portal Ring

15 46.88%
  • Colored Portal

13 40.63%
  • Leave alone - Don't change

4 12.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portals At Hubs

Default Portals At Hubs

It has been suggested to us that the portals at the two main hubs in the world (Genevia and Bristugo) have no real means for distinguishing one from another, thus making it difficult to describe to someone which portal to take to get where. (As well as remembering which portal to take yourself without repeatedly stopping by every one, of course.)

We've heard this and have a proposed solution. But, before we do the work to implement, we thought we'd do a survey here on the forums to see what others thought.

The proposed solution would be to use different styles of gates so that players could easily distinguish between them. To get an idea of how this would look, I placed some temporary gates on the internal server and took a couple of screenshots.

Some short notes:
    1) The old gates are still there, so the new ones are "superimposed" on the old. So things do look a bit crowded.
    2) The gates are placed at the 4 edges of the "box" around the center pad, with the only side gate being the "Outlands" one. This is a change from the current setup, but it gives the space around the gates that's needed to place some of the larger ones in the current location.

Also, style notes.. The "Outlands" gate would still be the "Human" style. The "Tazoon" gate takes you to the main cities. The other two are somewhat random in which went where, but they use the models that seem to look best in the area. (The dragon gates, for example, are huge and just did not look as good.)

Please share your thoughts.

EDIT Jan 14th: Thank you all for the feedback. Closing the thread at this time. We'll refer anyone who has difficulty telling which portal is which to the Player Customization that was linked below. No changes will be made at this time to either Genevia or Bristugo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Velea; January 14th, 2015 at 12:26 PM.

Default Re: Portals At Hubs

Still, how would you describe these new ones? The one that looks like a <whatever>?
    When you select the portal it tells you city/settlement/guilds etc.
    Maybe change the frame color. Then you could say the red one or the green one...
    Blight: Kaylee, Marynah, others
    Guildmistress, Crafters of Blight
    Chaos: Demmona, Bankshot, others
    Co-Guildmistress, Mithril Council

Sorry, forgot to say that new art work in any way is not an option. Our artists are overwhelmed right now as is. :)

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Would a floor tile in front of them not work,
    ie, T = Towns, G = guilds, S = settlements ect...

I'm sure it wouldn't take to much effort to stamp a letter on a floor tile?

Oh I should say i'm not really keen of the different versions in the same place, i'd rather just take the extra few seconds to check as the alternative looks abit messy.

I agree with Sindala on this one. The floor tile is a good idea. I think after you play the game for a while though your not running around from portal to portal looking for your destination you just know.

I also prefer to keep different race style gates to their location ie. sslanis/sslik in sslanis ect..

It gives that town in which they are in a sense of individuality from the others.

Trust me when I say floor tiles look very, very bad.

Put a small version of different colored azulyte (that would not be harvestable) next to portal. Like viridian next to guilds (or on top,or at the bottom of the portal),crimson-cities, violet-outlands, etc.... or a different element that comes in same shape but different colors. thn you can say...portal by the blue/purple/red crystal etc etc.
    Different kinds of portals look a bit awkward.

I wanted to say colored torches or flames hanging in air next to portal would look very cool but I don't think game has differently colored flames...

i gotta agree with others here - well, i don't mind different types of portals too much...but they have vastly different sizes which puts me off. If you changed the size of them then the portals themselves would be different sizes so that would look odd too :/

I agree with salwirk here - something noticable but not ruining the look of the place greatly.

Signs. You already have the asset in game and you never see them outside of tutorial areas aside from road forks.

No need to go all fancy. If someone can't select the portal, use map markers, or learn direction from pad, they cannot be helped.
    rip

This is what I had in mind:

horizons_1421181430.jpg

And then use other colored azulytes for other portals

OOh I know I know..LOL. A minor map update?

It depends which server board I think is which.

Have to agree with the rest of the thread here with this - town-specialized portals stuck into Bristugo looks really... wonky, to say the least. They look out of place and just too fancy-looking for a hub.

I like the colored frame idea, but if that's a no-go, maybe colored interior swirly stuff? I know there was a mod that changed the colors of the latter somewhere out there. It can't be ridiculously hard to do a quick hue-shift in Photoshop for portal differentiation, can't it? I'd look at the files and shift the colors myself even but AGHviewer won't work on this desktop so I'd have to boot my laptop up and whatnot.

Oh, and here's the portal color mod that I was talking about. There's enough colors in there + default to cover all the portal types too, isn't there?
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...f-portal-color
    Last edited by Racktor; January 14th, 2015 at 12:39 AM.

I absolutely love ractors idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Salwirk View Post
    Put a small version of different colored azulyte (that would not be harvestable) next to portal. Like viridian next to guilds (or on top,or at the bottom of the portal),crimson-cities, violet-outlands, etc.... or a different element that comes in same shape but different colors. thn you can say...portal by the blue/purple/red crystal etc etc.
    Different kinds of portals look a bit awkward...
    This isn't a bad idea.

I don't like the "out of place" portals, like the sslisk, Tazoon, etc, being placed in Bristugo or Genevia's hub. They just don't fit the look.

The idea of maybe a light light tint to the ring might be ok, would want a preview first. I don't like the idea of the swirly being recolored, unless it was much much lighter recoloring than in the thread linked by Racktor. (The Lava Orange should be used only on gate of Embers:)

Something sitting next to the rings, such as a sign or colored crystal as others have suggested, seems best. Or just leave well enough alone.

Portal colors ftw! +1
    rip

Personally I think That the mulit cultural gates just looks awful. I beleive we should go with either recoloring the portals or a coloured crystal floating on either side. And I also agree that the lava orange should remain unique to the gate of embers.

Although whilst slightly off topic perhaps dooms portal should be recoloured an ominous dark gray?
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

Is remembering which of five portals go where really that tough?

Portal Colored:

Both Bristugo + Genevia
    Cities: Blue Portal
    Guild: Green Portal
    Settlements: Orange Portal

Outland Destinations (Bristugo) + Genevia Destinations (Genevia): Ruby Portal
    Trandalar Destinations (Bristugo): Yellow Portal
    Scorpion Isle Destinations (Genevia Isle): Purple Poral
    Last edited by Cegaiel; January 26th, 2016 at 07:32 AM.

Just wondering if the portals need to be the brightest (boldest colors) things in the land?

I actually like the color idea, just wonder if it can be muted a little. Use the old blue for cities, and similarly lighten the rest?

Also curious - will all portals have the color of their predominant type? Or just Bristugo & Genevia?

Eww... no!

Why not re-tint the rings themselves, not the swirly? And much lighter than that.. I mean does it really take that much effort to learn which rings take you where?

The only semi-confusing one is Genevia, because the surrounding terrain looks the same in all directions. I myself know to point NE to go to New Trismus, which is the only reason I ever go to Genevia. To make the Genevia portals easier to navigate, the simplest would be to just add something that stands out. Like a statue behind say the ring taking you to New Trismus. It's easy to spot, 95% of people will be heading to that one which is now easily identified, and anyone using the other rings will now know their destination is the 2nd to the left of the statue, etc..

A better solution imho, would be to arrange the Geneiva rings in a semicircle. So that when you land on the pad, you see the 5 rings arrayed in front of you. Middle one to New Trismus, and the rest we would quickly learn as 1st, 4th, etc. when using it to go elsewhere. To me this is better than the colors.

If you did use colors, we would also learn that. of course some rings leave out say some settlements while having others... or its a mix of settlements and guilds.. of course those aren't these giant collections of rings either, so I guess those do not really matter. But if you insisted on re-coloring, why not just tint the rings (only) instead?

Really though, why do we need 5 rings to get to the destinations? Why not just put all of the destinations on a single ring? Sure the list might be longer, but we already have to scroll anyway...
    Last edited by Cegaiel; January 26th, 2016 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Removed quote & Image to be less confusing

Thread Information