View Poll Results: Which colored effect for Bristugo & Genevia?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colored Portal Ring

15 46.88%
  • Colored Portal

13 40.63%
  • Leave alone - Don't change

4 12.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portals At Hubs

Default Re: Portals At Hubs

I actually really like those colors o: I'm all for this. Though I would also like to see them arranged in a semi-circle as Guaran suggested because turning around in a circle a few times to find where I'm going is a bit annoying.

Ring Colored:

Alternative, swap rings with portal colors? Maybe?

Ring Colored:

To answer another question. This would be only for Genevia and Bristugo, no other locations. But if rings was decided, we could implement the ring color laout to other teleporters, only if you want.
    Last edited by Cegaiel; January 26th, 2016 at 07:37 AM.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

I think having the portal colored might be easier for people to tell the difference like you mentioned Cega in an earlier post like Blue for City, Green for Guild, Orange for Settlements, and so on for the places but Ring-Colored is ok to but I am concerned it might be harder for people will be able to tell a difference or see with only a ring colored compared to the having the portal colored but only the places that have multiple portals like more than 2 in one place like you mentioned in Bristigo and Genevia that might be problem for other places that have like 2 or less the Portal Ring Colored would probably be fine as long as players can tell a difference.

definately prefer the coloured portals, but they look a bit too saturated to fit in with the current portal colour, perhaps tone it down a bit/lighten the colour a bit?
    the main difference is that the normal portal colour has the white/bright portion in the center, these recolours don't.

I like the idea of the outer ring coloured. That is very easy to look at and not a overkill of color at the portals. The inner part of the portal looks great like always.

I cant decide yet. Perhaps if portal colors were brighter with that white inside. Also the old light blue is the coolest. leave that one hehe. there should be 3rd option,leave as is in this poll.

Spider: >_> ....im not sure either

...And what if you did both rings and portals?
    Last edited by Tilithia; January 26th, 2016 at 02:56 PM.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

I voted ring but I'd leave it alone and keep it as is if it was up to me.

Ok, I added 3rd option - Leave Alone . Teto I moved your vote from Ring to Leave Alone. If anyone else wants to change vote, let me know.

Devs noticed that the portals were a bit slow to load / impacted frame rate a bit, so did the coloring / image manipulation in a shader, instead of in the base texture. All these portals are specific colors, but this method is very lightweight and they have really nice depth to the portal shimmering.

Thats why they don't have the white portion in the center.

To see them for yourself download this file: portal_color.zip and unzip any where resources_override .

/lm human_teleport_gate_c01_n.agf for colored portal
    /lm human_teleport_gate_c02_n.agf for colored ring

You can change the comment tags in both of the .sha shader files to change colors.

The suggested colored portals would only be for Genevia and Bristugo, not every one in the world.
    Last edited by Cegaiel; January 26th, 2016 at 09:48 PM.

I actually like the different portal colours (not the rings), but perhaps not so dark so it's more of tint than a complete re-colour, but that's just me :)
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Wow the shimmering ring is very cool.
    But so is the portal color. Youre right about shimmering but they are still very dark colors.
    Gonna vote rings :)
    Colored rings still glow at night and you can see them better.
    Last edited by Tilithia; January 26th, 2016 at 10:33 PM.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Since the main consensus is the colors are too dark, then maybe pick out something better... Suggestions?

You can play around with the numbers in .sha files to see them using the /lm command in previous post.

This is a site I like to use to quickly see RGB colors, but I'm sure there's other sites: http://lslwiki.net/lslwiki/wakka.php?wakka=color

rgbColor diffuse 0 .25 1 1 // blue
    //rgbColor diffuse 1 0.13 0.13 1 // ruby
    //rgbColor diffuse 0.88 0.78 0.1 1 // burnt yellow
    //rgbColor diffuse 0.65 0.09 0.92 1 // purple
    //rgbColor diffuse 0.95 0.51 0.04 1 // burnt orange
    //rgbColor diffuse 0.28 0.85 0.13 1 // green

There are 4 numbers above, but only the first 3 numbers are the RGB that "1" at the end is for something else.
    So 1.0 1.0 1.0 is white. 1.0 1.0 0.0 is yellow

Actually if you coloured the portals, then maybe just give it a bit of transparency? so it doesn't look so solid?

You could try different coloured woods too if you were doing rings? Like Pine, mahogany, walnut, etc. That way it can still stay natural looking to the environment? Just a couple of suggestions I want to throw out there. I've already voted for changing the portal colour itself, tho that was before the option to 'don't change it' was added. I wish I could change my vote to 'don't change it' now that it is up there as an option.

Changed your vote from Portal Color to Don't change. ~Ceg
    Last edited by Cegaiel; January 27th, 2016 at 12:40 AM.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

OK I couldn't figure out how that worked :/ ill try again now thaks!
    Hmm any colors I tried are just not as deep as the original :/
    Last edited by Tilithia; January 27th, 2016 at 12:30 AM.

Don't forget some portals are design for certain species.

Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    Although whilst slightly off topic perhaps dooms portal should be recoloured an ominous dark gray?
    Didn't see this before, but I like it.

An ominous gray-black (with occasional lightning effect in the swirl!) on the Doom portal would be great. So that you would know you were going someplace that wasn't quite right...

On the rings where it's being proposed to recolor them.. what if it was a colored lightning effect, that was on the ring? Like every 1.5 seconds or so a brief bit of colored static electricity wound its' its way around the ring a bit? lasting a half second or so. Kind like a spark jumping a gap briefly. It would move around the front fact the slim ring, maybe wrap around the ring sometimes. But would could see it, and color the lightning.

I just don't like the colors on the rings either, it's too dark and doesn't really fit. But colored sparks would be ok. The colored lightning could even be in the swirly, since it would flash intermittently, but often enough to be able to be used as a navigation aid. And each color could be given a slightly different flashing pattern as well.
    Last edited by Guaran; January 27th, 2016 at 05:10 AM.

voted for colored rings in Bris andGenevia.
    Would love to see the porter to doom with something special-maybe what Guaran said above
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    On the rings where it's being proposed to recolor them.. what if it was a colored lightning effect, that was on the ring? Like every 1.5 seconds or so a brief bit of colored static electricity wound its' its way around the ring a bit? lasting a half second or so. Kind like a spark jumping a gap briefly. It would move around the front fact the slim ring, maybe wrap around the ring sometimes. But would could see it, and color the lightning.
    Are you thinking about something like this for the ring ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjfhWxZ0xUI from 0:18 to 0:35.
    SuHuz Fieryclaw, Grand Master Dragon Crafter (Order)

Sorta. But it would appear and move much faster, and then disappear for a second or 2. Or, the lightning could be in the swirly, and be intermittent. I was thinking just like when you see lightning strike. It appears all at once and then disappears, and sometimes forks off in multiple directions.

Quote Originally Posted by SuHuz View Post
    Are you thinking about something like this for the ring ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjfhWxZ0xUI from 0:18 to 0:35.
    Thats pretty awesome you used that as an example. Stargate was on the top 3 of my all time favorite sci-fi series. Thanks for the blast to the past. Ark of Truth was the last part, stand alone movie to the tv series. Brings tears to my eyes to see that again :) That would be a cool effect, not sure how to pull that off, but will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    Thats pretty awesome you used that as an example. Stargate was on the top 3 of my all time favorite sci-fi series. Thanks for the blast to the past. Ark of Truth was the last part, stand alone movie to the tv series. Brings tears to my eyes to see that again :) That would be a cool effect, not sure how to pull that off, but will look into it.
    Sweet. Stargate was really good.

Something like the electric arcs on the gnomian teleporter could probably be borrowed, colored, and put on the rings or in the swirlies. It would look really cool.

Thread Information