Thread: What is the best graphics card for Istaria?

Default What is the best graphics card for Istaria?

I have AMD graphics but they seem to have a lot of weird problems with Istaria, like sometimes seeing faint outlines or parts of meshes through eachother. Anyone know what would be the best graphics card to play Istaria?

Default Re: What is the best graphics card for Istaria?

well!
    *goes to check what istaria is running on for her*
    oh, well apparently, any (current) intell card might be okay :P I always thought it was running on my NVIDIA.
    So far I've never had graphical issues, heck I'm seeing things that of which I heard people having lots of trouble with. (text on the wayposts, weapon tricking/customisation preview, etc)

I'm running NVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti on windows 7 for the most part it's fine but my shield graphics are still hosed. I hear if you use Windows XP with an older graphics card it's fine though. :-(
    -Kor

Intel's integrated graphics (at least on Generation 2-4 Core/Pentium processors) hold their own in Istaria, and are plenty fast to handle it. My main laptop has both the Intel 4600 HD graphixs on the Core i7-4700MQ as well as a dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M 2GB that can be switched to via software, and I just use the Intel IGP for Istaria. It's really important to have a strong CPU for this game, since it is an old DX8 single-threaded game at best, and a 4+ GHz modern Intel CPU (regardless of Core or Pentium branding, though only unlocked CPUs denoted by the "K" suffix or the Pentium G3258 can actually get there). Aside from that, Intel and NVIDIA are working fine in Istaria, and you'll be free from most of the glaring rendering issues AMD/ATI has, such as the huge texture/brush seams commonly seen in the walls of the old NT buildings, or on the sides of some of the lava pools in Dralk.

On a side note, an ATI Radeon HD3650 512MB DDR2 video card does bottleneck the game (100% GPU load in TechPowerUp GPU-Z) when paired with a 4GHz Pentium G3258, but that card is from 2008 and was only mid-range at the time. Meanwhile, the stripped down Intel HD Graphics on the Pentium G3258 handled Istaria with ease and were maybe at 50% load.
    Jstntron (Chaos): Ancient, Grand Master Dragon Crafter
    Woobie (Chaos): Saris, 41 Adventure/216 Crafter
    Vulkanos Firefiend (Order): Hatchling, 20/11

Nvidia introduced both the GTX 980 and the GTX 970 in early September 2014, primarily focusing on the 980’s killer performance and impressively low power consumption. But the Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 is the more important card: it’s priced closer to Nvidia’s typical mid-range graphics, while nipping the 980’s heels when it comes to performance. Eurogamer calls it “that rarest of things in the graphics card market—a genuine game-changer...its performance per pound ratio is so strong that some might say there's little point considering any other high-end GPU currently available—and that includes Nvidia's own flagship GTX 980.”
    hi!

I use a Nvidia GT720 with 2 monitors and it works just fine.
    Dacurly Dac : Phoenix Fellowship Guild : Chaos Server
    http://phoenixfellowship.clanz.co/

The current game engine barely uses the GPU's. Mainly the engine is CPU driven. But you are right that when some minor display glitch happens, it does seem to be tied to a GPU brand.

Intel integrated graphics works fine.

Nvidia works fine with the minor possibility of not seeing text on road signs. But I believe all the minor glitches with these was fixed last year, such as seeing the weapons in the weapon tricking window, or seeing a rotating weapon in a linked item description. Shields with Blackhammer clan tech applied were also not showing properly. I run nvidia at home, but I can't check these now as I'm currently out of town and playing on a laptop with intel graphics.

For AMD I haven't heard of any issues with those since like 2008, when porting to the floating island would make the game ctd, then you couldn't login. That was why the ability to recall a toon was added to the login website.

You might try rolling the amd drivers back. In reference to issues I hear those cards having with newer games, half the time its a new driver that broke something, and rolling it back fixes it. Amd is also bad about dropping driver support on older cards, so you might be stuck. What amd card/GPU do you have?

Side note on all these GPU issues. Most all of these will likely go away once the game migrates to the Unreal engine.

Istaria shouldn't be too picky. I do recall on an older computer I used to have, it was a bit laggy using the built in internal graphic adapter. But eventually added a cheapy Nvidia card and that improved that.

Years later, I'm using a descent machine, but still have this old Geforce 8400 GS with 1Gb DDR3 ram. It's had a broken fan on the card for past 2 years and no issues.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    Istaria shouldn't be too picky. I do recall on an older computer I used to have, it was a bit laggy using the built in internal graphic adapter. But eventually added a cheapy Nvidia card and that improved that.

Years later, I'm using a descent machine, but still have this old Geforce 8400 GS with 1Gb DDR3 ram. It's had a broken fan on the card for past 2 years and no issues.
    wait till the engine update and grapics update Then we should be talking about this in more detail XD
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

Quote Originally Posted by ArchDemon View Post
    wait till the engine update and grapics update Then we should be talking about this in more detail XD
    even then, unless you think 4+ years is a do-able deadline, I don't think the graphics requirements would increase all too much, from my understanding the devs want to roll out the unreal 4 update as soon as possible (and when all other things are done and accounted for), and with well over 10K models in-game (the static objects are near 9500, that is buildings, armour, rocks, trees, etc.), most of which need some pretty bad overhauling, HECK, some are better off starting from scratch than saving what you can. (I'm looking at you player race models)

And let's not forget, the art team is small.

I'm not saying Istaria will look exactly the same or something, we'll definately see some improvements (especially lighting wise, Unreal is crazy with that), I'm just trying to spread a word of caution "don't get too excited when you see what Unreal is capable off", it's most likely that while yes, we'll see a bunch of graphical and technical improvements, I wouldn't be surprised if most current systems should have any problems at all. (tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if things would run smoother than it does currently for most)

I have Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 now and used to have others same brand. Never had any issues with this or any other game. I'd go with a Nvidia for sure.
    Cixi
    Gnome Extraordinaire
    FREE RACHIVAL NOW!!!
    Join the GLF! *Gnome Liberation Front

After many years of my pitiful (that served me well - See Post #8) I decided to do an upgrade last weekend. But the tricky thing for me is that I have a low profile tower which requires a card that has a smaller bracket than most. Those are called low profile cards. The other issue for me is I have a small 240 watt power supply which is another issue on it's own; can't get too beefy.

I went with Geforce GT 710 with 2Gb. It says it requires 300w power supply, but that's not true. 240w is plenty as this card draws a mere 30 watts. Different manufacturers of the card might have a fan built in and some don't, but have a larger heat sink to dissipate the heat. I chose the one without fan since they eventually break down. The card did include brackets for low profile and normal profile, so it will fit in any case. This is PCI 2.0 x16.

So for those who might have small power supply, on a budget or need a low profile card, this is a pretty nice bang for the bucks at 41.00 bucks I'm pretty impressed with it. Good frame rate, I've got much less graphic lag.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

i myself have a GTX 1050Ti, and an AMD FX-4350, and i normally see 50-60 FPS in game. (i do have ENBconverter too), i don't get many, if at all, problems. my CPU handles istaria just fine. you don't -really- need an expensive Intel processor to run istaria (fun jab at Jstntron).

with my old setup, 550Ti and a Phenom X2 555, i would vary between 20-30 FPS. same no-problems.

Thread Information