Thread: Make gliding nessesery (or prefeared) meanwhile ROP

Default Make gliding nessesery (or prefeared) meanwhile ROP

I think it is good preparation for hatchies, to "learn flying"
    previosly there was one point, when gliding was part of ROP quest, that makes quest more comfortble.
    But I think it could be nice, if gliding become even nessesery at one moment (forexample one place reachble only with gliding, or at least reaching this place by wings faster or safer..)
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16594&dateline=140663  6576
    Greedy dragon

Default Re: Make gliding nessesery (or prefeared) meanwhile ROP

I'm going to have to disagree with this for 2 reasons:

1) There is no point in the game that requires an adult/ancient to fly. It is an improved way to travel around, and also a possible escape from being overwhelmed in combat, but it is never needed to complete quests.

2) The option to begin gliding when falling is disabled by default, and as far as I know there is no other way to begin gliding. I would assume that there was a good reason to have this option disabled by default, and new players would not know about it until they see another hatchling gliding.
    Chaos: Xingolos PlagueWind (31 Hatchling: 23)---Cilok Magmaborn (retired Lunus Ancient: 100/100/60)---Turacegos Blizzardwing (20 Hatchling: 19)---Bilkur Tinkerton (Gnome adjusting to life on Spirit Isle)

It depends which server board I think is which.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilok View Post
    1) There is no point in the game that requires an adult/ancient to fly. It is an improved way to travel around, and also a possible escape from being overwhelmed in combat, but it is never needed to complete quests.
    While I don't disagree with your point in general I'm just going to say that flying is indeed required for some quests, since the Council of Ancients cannot be reached on foot - all quests that require them technically require flying (or gliding). Also the Ancient Rite of Passage requires you to go to the lava-filled shrine blocked out by bones in the 'back' of the Council's chambers, which can only be reached by flying directly up in a passage.
    Also before Umyarr was moved, his mountaintop refuge was inaccessible by foot I think. I could be wrong though.

Technically you can get there by foot but you have to glitch yourself through the roof somehow. :P

True Racktor, forgot about the CoA (probably because the first time I had to go to them, I landed on that bone cage roof and instantly fell through).

Although, I will say that gliding is much different than flying, especially in terms of controlling it. Gliding if you stop pressing the forward direction, you instantly plummet to the ground, while flying you just hover. That discrepancy alone would provide numerous headaches to new players and just make things unnecessarily complicated.
    Chaos: Xingolos PlagueWind (31 Hatchling: 23)---Cilok Magmaborn (retired Lunus Ancient: 100/100/60)---Turacegos Blizzardwing (20 Hatchling: 19)---Bilkur Tinkerton (Gnome adjusting to life on Spirit Isle)

There is a quest in dralk where you have to find that statue of the dragon head on top of the mountain top. The only way to get there is to fly or glide as I did with Kroch as a hatchy. I was pretty proud of the fact that I could get there with no working wings yet :-). It took several tries and alot of running to get to it. It was not easy.
    -Kor/Kroch

It depends which server board I think is which.

They added a big rock bridge now so you can just run there:

It takes a bit of jumping and maneuvering but I think you can manage without gliding.

Quote Originally Posted by Krinharth View Post
    I think it is good preparation for hatchies, to "learn flying"
    previosly there was one point, when gliding was part of ROP quest, that makes quest more comfortble.
    I think you are referring to Kaa, when he was at the center of the spiral. It was safer to glide in than to run in. Although I had fun doing the sprint many times Now he's all unguarded, much more dull fight

Quote Originally Posted by Krinharth View Post
    But I think it could be nice, if gliding become even nessesery at one moment (forexample one place reachble only with gliding, or at least reaching this place by wings faster or safer..)
    I think it's a good idea. Something the dev's could think about, some fun, kinda scary step to put in. Maybe have one step to retrieve a lost talon, believed to be lost on a small island west from Tower of Sorcery which sits between mahagra and trandalar. The hatchies would run out, climb to the top of the tower, jump off the top heading west, and the island would be placed out in the middle of nowhere out there, positioned in just the right spot to be reached while gliding without velocity buffs from that location in that direction (lots of open space out there).

It could be a fun quest mechanic.

Since an adult or ancient could just fly there, a quest for hatchies makes the most sense. Rop would be perfect.

I just want to point out that back in my days we couldn't even glide as hatchies.

And Kaa and Lem were not in such easy places as today. Kaa was in the Western Deadlands (was the one with tower of nature, right?) and he was down in the middle of a big spiral, where you either had to run down all the way and face dozens of enemies or were lucky enough for an adult to be able to pull him out. Lem was in the Eastern Deadlands, roaming the various corridors there.

Likewise we didn't had a shortcut to Draak from Lerena, we had to run through the Eastern Deadlands ;D Oh and Shadow Dragon did have Death Attacks. But sorry, I think I'm missing the topic
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

Thread Information