Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stun Lock change

Default Stun Lock change

Granted I missed it at first in the blight notes but after seeing the Lightning stun failed because X target had <missing> made me wonder what is the point of such a change? This is excluding the note about about attempting to prevent stun lock, this seems more like a try to reduce 3 specific biped classes, 1 spell and 1 undead class ability to either temp stun lock a single target to near true stun lock 1 single target. I am also beginning to wonder when something new will actually be added in the way of either content or new public type events.

Default Re: Stun Lock change

Quote Originally Posted by starlight View Post
    I am also beginning to wonder when something new will actually be added in the way of either content or new public type events.
    Did I really just see you say that a month after the NT revamp..... gees short memory
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    Did I really just see you say that a month after the NT revamp..... gees short memory
    Not to mention T3 revamp coming up.

I don't know about lightning stun but Tail whip,eminence,renown and acclaim got something called Stun Resistance that is applied to mob when stun wears off. it lasts 3 seconds.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Quote Originally Posted by Salwirk View Post
    I don't know about lightning stun but Tail whip,eminence,renown and acclaim got something called Stun Resistance that is applied to mob when stun wears off. it lasts 3 seconds.
    this was an overall change added to all stuns.
    basicly, the target of a stun (both mobs and players) get a 3 second immunity to any other stun after it wears off, effectively getting rid of possible stun locking. (again, from both sides)

Yes, I have noticed that my COT on my Ranger is getting used a lot more than it used to using lighting arrows. Not sure if that is really a good thing. Keep getting the message about ranged attacks being less effective at this range. Makes me think that I need to go back to kiting mobs like when I was a little guy and scared to die. I definitely see the difference in the stun change though.
    -Kor

Quote Originally Posted by Korchak Strongbone View Post
    Yes, I have noticed that my COT on my Ranger is getting used a lot more than it used to using lighting arrows. Not sure if that is really a good thing. Keep getting the message about ranged attacks being less effective at this range. Makes me think that I need to go back to kiting mobs like when I was a little guy and scared to die. I definitely see the difference in the stun change though.
    -Kor
    Currently Mobs can be restunned whilst still stunned... and I doubt thats the intent... So I can only expect that its going to get worse.
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    Currently Mobs can be restunned whilst still stunned... and I doubt thats the intent... So I can only expect that its going to get worse.
    The fix for this is on blight currently (its a server change). Once it goes live you won't be able to stun-lock monsters (and vice-versa) when they are already stunned.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Maybe the Epic Bows Demon Flurry and Blood Bow should have a Range extension on them to say 50-55 then. After all they are Epic in every way. Just thinking how the stun works on lighting arrows. It doesn't stun then it does a %, so you stun then it holds for a few seconds then right before the stun gives way you hit it with another, but it misses, then the mob comes and you have to wait for the next stun %. Might need an increase % slightly to keep from being over powered with Ranger or ELAR, or a RANGE increase like mentioned on EPICS only. Just a thought.

-Kor

Quote Originally Posted by Korchak Strongbone View Post
    Maybe the Epic Bows Demon Flurry and Blood Bow should have a Range extension on them to say 50-55 then. After all they are Epic in every way. Just thinking how the stun works on lighting arrows. It doesn't stun then it does a %, so you stun then it holds for a few seconds then right before the stun gives way you hit it with another, but it misses, then the mob comes and you have to wait for the next stun %. Might need an increase % slightly to keep from being over powered with Ranger or ELAR, or a RANGE increase like mentioned on EPICS only. Just a thought.

-Kor
    Perhaps, but I'll wait for it to reach live and be used before moving on any changes.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

My question is about this change is why? I am having trouble grasping the reason behind this change as a whole, only 3 adventure schools and 1 spell type + tech even has a chance to stun, as far as i know all epic type bosses are immune to any type of stun to begin with, solo storm disciple and ranger have some skills to fall back on but a elar only has the 1 ability. I would like a answer to this to better understand the devs reasoning behind such a change

Quote Originally Posted by starlight View Post
    as far as i know all epic type bosses are immune to any type of stun to begin with
    This is not true, some can be Immune, some are Immune. They are trying to prevent total stun lock of the mob not just epics.
    You stun with lighting arrows for example and before it lets free, you stun again repeat... This gives unfair advantage to the player with the ability rendering it overpowered. I can see the point.

Note: I can also say that I think I have seen on a few different instances where people seem to be using character bots and have 10 rangers killing mobs so this may not fix that. Merely speculation here but it sure looks like it.
    -Kor

Maybe , it would be unfair in a pvp match though some cases stun locking a single target of a more social mob is not that great, I guess I just fail at understanding some points of targeting mainly 3 specific classs, least one of them is meant for one on one and keeping their target stunned due to low to mid damage per hit

Okay now this post contains a lot of bias because i DESPISE rangers a lot :P
    At first my only issue with stun chnages were on elar. Because, while ranger doesn't even need stun lock (with all the heals and roots it has and stuns anyway from druid...) it's pretty detrimental to elars because they don't have a whole lot beyond stuns. As much as i love the idea of rangers not being as OP as they are, i don't like the idea of elar's becoming even harder to play. HOWEVER:

Issues relating to stun locks can be sorted out with changes to elar and such in the school itself. By making OTHER things better.

NOBODY should be able to STUN LOCK anything in my opinion and this is why i like the change.

Stun locking isn't combat, imo, it's...just waiting for a thing to die. Aside form turning on a couple abilties, it takes no skill at all for rangers and elars to stun lock anything. And, when you're opponent can't move for 95% of the fight, wheres the risk anyway?
    I wanna see rangers complain (haha) when this ACTUALLY ruins their combat. elars however would need a bit more skill as they don't have much aside form stuns to help them. I don't know enough about the storm disciple school to know how it affects them, but what i do know for certain is that stun locking shouldn't happen.

Important note: Stun Lock =/= Stuns.
    Stuns are good...stun LOCKING isn't.

Stun lock is universally bad whether it is you doing it or having it done to you. And there are mobs in the game that can do that, such as the Carrion Crawler and Blighted Hounds. Removing it allows even Epics to be stunned now and makes the game better.

I think most people can accept perma stun lock is bad... but when the mob has a one-hit-kill-everything-in-sight ability, we don't have much of a choice sometimes... *cough* Valkor's Multi-cast Vampiric Bats, Shaloth's Volcano, Fafnir's Scorch *cough*... just to list a few. (I may have read something about a change to Fafnir's Scorch sometime ago, so perhaps not such an issue) Remove Valkor's Multi-Cast wouldn't go astray (though I think most of us have worked out the trick to this little problem... one person take the hit when out of range of the group... still, I think the point stands).
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

I haven't played with Ranger, ELAR, or Storm Disciple past just joining the classes, so I'm probably not the best person to ask how it affects their combat. However, I can say that if one school relies entirely or overwhelmingly on one ability, that makes the school much less fun and much less playable (Reason why the GR change was a good thing IMO).

The way I see it, the stun change is a good thing all around:
    • Players no longer get perma-stunned and unable to fight something they could otherwise overpower.
    • Classes that rely on stun locking get an opportunity to branch out, spreading damage over more attacks and perhaps even get new abilities to compensate.
    • One character can't take out a stunnable epic by just staying out of its aggro range, which nobody should be able to do anyway.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

To clarify a little about storm disciples they are the weakest dmg per hit but fastest. Lightning claws only adds a stun chance it does not convert damage like lightning arrows they still deal crush damage without the aid of a crystal or mage class. They have access to nature based spells. They do not get anything like CoT as ranger does

This is a good change. It's so annoying to just kill golems from 40 meters away and they can't get close to you then they die and you have to walk all the way over there to loot. So much extra work, this will save 40 meters of walking for me. LMAO!

Actually, that works well for the crafter pulling critters to the machine for mining too. :-)

Thread Information