Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to the Team: Structure Storage

Default Talk to the Team: Structure Storage

A thought we've recently had that we wanted to run by our players involved storage for player-built or community structures. The way this might work is that:

a) Common, Public Machine Structures such as Ore Refineries, Logging Camps, etc. would have public, open storage associated with them that any player could put resources into and take out of. These would be restricted so that you could only put related resources (Ores and bars for Refineries, Wood and Boards for Logging Camps, etc.) but would have numerous stacks and tons and tons of bulk capacity.

The idea here being that you could off-load resources to the structure if you were the only one in the field, increasing the amount you could process. Or you could help a friend or work in a group to mass-process resources.

b) Private, Plot Machine Structures such as Blacksmith Shops, Scholar Shops, Jewelers, etc would have storage associated with them that would be controlled access based on the structure's permissions. These would also be restricted so that you could only put related resources (raw and processed) but would have a number of stacks and significant bulk.

The idea here being that you could theoretically begin to replace some silos with more machine structures. And, as with the public storage, help friends by having resources nearby to process.

So, what are your thoughts on both options? Pros, cons, etc. We appreciate your feedback.

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Structure Storage

This sounds like an incredible idea! Even in places where there's no plots, this could make grinding resources MUCH easier. This would also help with the problem of one or two people taking up all the public storage, so multiple people should be able to work the same resource with the same machine with zero problems. I support for this 200%.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Love this idea, the only con is the con we usually have with public storage, and that is that it could be nabbed by anybody, but honestly, that's a downside you -should- be getting with 'public' storage. Numerous stacks is a good way to make them available for multiple people at the same time too!

Overall this seems like a great change for those people that prefer to store up hundreds and hundreds of processed resources before using them to level on deconstructable items.

I like the idea, certainly if its possible to do it. It makes sense that there would be some machine related resources in the shops themselves.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

I really love this idea as well, my only question is,will those associated storages be contained within the machine building or will that be enlarged building etc. will footprints of current machines change? if yes, when planning plot do we get to choose which kind we want to put?

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

A) I like the idea of open storage in public machines, interesting idea. I have always used my Flying Silo myself, *snickers* It's a good idea though, I like it.
    B) This is a great way to help with the re-sizing of plots. I know people who fit all shops on their plot but, it was a very difficult thing to do as they needed silos also. Our Guild Phoenix Fellowship has a rule that on all of our Plots our T2 silos are public. We have plots in Apia, Mithrils Anvil, Acul, Harro, Aiya I may have missed a few, this was our way of giving back to the community to allow players access to our silos next to our machines (Chaos).
    The only CON I can see here is Plot Re-Organizing...again. It's not that big of a deal though, this would help out quite a bit considering the stack would be at least 6 deep for tiers. Or more for Jewelery shops. Confection shops would require an even more stack capacity, please don't make me count. hehe.
    Thank you Dev's for thinking outside the box.
    -Kor

Excellent idea!

Would these inbuilt storages be similar to the machinery associated with them in that higher tier machines would have higher tier storage capacity?
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

This is such a good idea I don't know what else to say... *thumbs up*
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

that is really something!! such a good plan!!!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Great idea! And please give the Confectioner Shop some more stacks (the footprint is also larger then most of the other shops).
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

I love this idea, can't wait to see the specs on the build to see what the footprint, bulk, stack, ect. would be. :)
    Dacurly Dac : Phoenix Fellowship Guild : Chaos Server
    http://phoenixfellowship.clanz.co/

Quote Originally Posted by Dacurly View Post
    I love this idea, can't wait to see the specs on the build to see what the footprint, bulk, stack, ect. would be. :)
    It would be nice to see say a stack of ore outside a smithy or a stack of ingots, maybe Bolts of cloth outside the tailors etc...
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

Not to speak for the devs, but I think some people are missing a point

Quote Originally Posted by Velea
    Common, Public Machine Structures such as Ore Refineries, Logging Camps, etc. would have public, open storage associated with them that any player could put resources into and take out of.
    I'm pretty sure this means just the structures themselves (the ore refineries and the sort), not entirely new structures. I think we've been told plenty of times that new art, when it comes to side projects like this (seeing as most of it get's pushed towards bigger things ie. revamps), isn't generally going to happen, so unless there would be already useable things (model, texture) to use as a "new" structure, I highly doubt we'd see it.

Personally, while I do love the idea of a small stack of ore next to a refinery, or a bunch of logs next to a logging station, I completely understand that this would be a very low priority thing.

I've had this idea in the past, I think it's great.

I'm not sure its really necessary to limit the item types (more work than it might be worth). But all shops should have some storage. Kitchen, more stacks too.

The little hut shops with single machines, could be say only 1 or 2 stacks, lower bulk (or maybe none).

But just having someplace close is handy, in case you overburden yourself, etc.

Don't forget lair shops.

110 billion percent. Hopefully we wouldn't see a rise in public resources being pinched (we've all been burnt in the past, but most people are respectful). At the very least, the private structure changes would be awesome. I have no idea what kind of bulk/stacks your thinking of, but hopefully enough to replace a few silos? And I have to agree with G that the restriction of item types is probably not necessary, and definitely take into account the too-many resources that the poor confectioners have to deal with AND don't forget lairs :D
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

<3 <3 <3

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Whilst I like the idea, I have to play Devils advocate on this on and say. Why?
    We have gotten along fine for the last 10 years without them, why do we need them now?
    This is just a mechanic to encourage 'griefing' something this game has managed to avoid quite well for years since their is no real way to grief.
    People are just not that trustworthy,
    For example we see it occasionally at our guild plot where all silos on one plot are public next to the machines. Somebody filling up said silos ready to work then somebody else swoops in uses all resource and then 1st person complains on the chat about how somebody has 'stole' (note the use of the word 'stole' from a 'public' silo) the resources they were gathering.

Mostly these days there are public silos on plots near to resources.
    If you want to help crafters then just increase the amount cargo discs can hold...

....now on the flip side, if you made plot structures have this feature I would love you. Finally I could pull down some of the silos from my silo farm and actually decorate the plot sparingly rather than using every sq inch for storage. ;)

At last - changes almost everyone waited for. 200% supporting this.

Of course, problem of griefing exists and only God knows how it could be solved. We could only make phantasies like:
    *short-termed storage, say, 24 hours. twenty four hours expired, item disappears, sorry;
    *attuned while stored:if EvilDryad crafted, only EvilDryad can take away/delete

Overall, the idea is good, crafters would be really gratefull

Quote Originally Posted by anonimas View Post
    At last - changes almost everyone waited for. 200% supporting this.

Of course, problem of griefing exists and only God knows how it could be solved. We could only make phantasies like:
    *short-termed storage, say, 24 hours. twenty four hours expired, item disappears, sorry;
    *attuned while stored:if EvilDryad crafted, only EvilDryad can take away/delete

Overall, the idea is good, crafters would be really gratefull
    I like this Idea, if they could do it. But 2 hours from last usage should be lots long enough, maybe even 1 hour. One of the biggest problems that I can see is people just leaving a small amount in the storage and logging out. Could have the timer to 1/2 hr if the player logs out, that's lots of time to log back in if you crashed.
    Last edited by Dacurly; March 16th, 2015 at 01:12 PM.
    Dacurly Dac : Phoenix Fellowship Guild : Chaos Server
    http://phoenixfellowship.clanz.co/

Public storage would be just that, public. If you put things in it then technically it isn't yours any longer. So if someone takes it, then thats the risk. The upside, of course, is that you'd have storage next to public machines. So yes the risk of griefing is there, but thats the trade-off same as if you make silos on your plot public and put resources in them.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information