Thread: Add consignment functionality to show teching

Western North America, near a fault and far from volcanoes.

Default Add consignment functionality to show teching

It would be nice if the consignment display of an item would somehow indicate whether or not the item is teched. Failing that, could we have a way to filter for teched/unteched items the way we can filter by tier? Especially for spellls, since customized spells are unknown in other MMOs.

New players don't often know the degree Istaria alllows us to customize things, and don't know to check expensive items on the consigner for customization. Some little indication that an item is unusual or different would be enough.

I notice that if you customize a spell name to reflect the tech you put on it, that customization gets removed when it's put on the consigner. A moment's reflection made me realize that it would become very easy for dishonest people to cheat players, so I understand why that's done.

Default Re: Add consignment functionality to show teching

Are techniqued items really sold all that often for that to be worth coding in? 0.o
    I know I never sell techniqued things and have seen techniqued items for sale a grand total of 3 times in all the consigner checks I've done.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

There has been a change to the listing on the consigners for tech'ed items. It used to be that tech'ed spells were at the top of the list of spells for sale. I can't remember now how other types of items were listed but I noticed recently that tech'ed tools were just lumped in with untech'ed tools and you couldn't tell them apart at a glance. I don't think it used to be that way.

Western North America, near a fault and far from volcanoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Machaeon View Post
    Are techniqued items really sold all that often for that to be worth coding in? 0.o
    I know I never sell techniqued things and have seen techniqued items for sale a grand total of 3 times in all the consigner checks I've done.
    I like to put techniqued things up on the consigner. I'm sure experienced players know to look -- the techniqued items sell very quickly, even though they're always first or second tier. (I just put over a couple dozen techniqued spells up, and 3 of them sold in 24 hours). My concern isn't for the seller, really. It's for new players, who 1) don't realize how customizable gear and spells are and 2) don't realize that customization won't show on the consigner when they look.

Customized gear and spells help a lot, both in crafting and adventuring. New players don't realize how much easier customized stuff makes the game, so it seems much more grindy than it really is. Showing customized stuff on the consigner is really more of a new player retention issue than it is a benefit for experienced sellers and buyers.

I have noticed that for instance my teched Satchels I made actually had the name changed. Instead of Essence hide satchel they read Essence Hide Satchel of Mining of Quarrying of Logging. They didn't used to do that, so it seems that if I put that up for sale on a conny that it would be easy to tell if it was teched? Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Daulnay View Post
    I like to put techniqued things up on the consigner. I'm sure experienced players know to look -- the techniqued items sell very quickly, even though they're always first or second tier. (I just put over a couple dozen techniqued spells up, and 3 of them sold in 24 hours). My concern isn't for the seller, really. It's for new players, who 1) don't realize how customizable gear and spells are and 2) don't realize that customization won't show on the consigner when they look.

Customized gear and spells help a lot, both in crafting and adventuring. New players don't realize how much easier customized stuff makes the game, so it seems much more grindy than it really is. Showing customized stuff on the consigner is really more of a new player retention issue than it is a benefit for experienced sellers and buyers.
    I understand the want to help newer players... for a while I stocked the NT connie fairly regularly with basic t1 things new players would otherwise have a hard time finding the forms for and then it just got too annoying to keep getting 90% back in my vault when they didn't sell. Instead I now generally offer to make t1 spells and gear for any new player who stops to talk for a bit while I'm in the area and am always happy to craft anything I'm capable of making for anyone who asks. Un-teched is always free and teched is a tier relevant cost or free in the case of t1.

That being said, I know applying techniques and sockets to gear is something the dragon training quests teach you so I don't worry so much about dragons not figuring out that techniques are good to have on your gear. Can't remember if the biped training quests do that or not... if they don't that may be a good thing to think about adding in. I hardly ever bother with t1 techniques on anything with dragons... they just outgrow the range too fast for that to make much of a difference in my opinion. But I can understand why a multiclassed biped would get a lot of benefit from techniqued gear even that early. The rating system is brutal if you don't handle leveling with care and every little bit helps when you're forced to fight a good bit above your level just to get decent experience.

I know some people dye techniqued gear they sell on the connies to help it stand out and as Kaishan said, the different names do help distinguish them... just have to count on people to actually read when mousing over things.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Machaeon View Post
    Actually, I sell low-tier teched spells on a regular basis, and collect tech comps for that purpose. When consigners changed their UI to not show techs on the item names, it really hurt my sales, since new people would see a 500c unteched spell next to my 3s damage-teched spell, and not even know there was a difference in the two items. I support this suggestion.
    Ryushu Suisen, Tathar Nuar, and PhoenixStar, Guildmaster of the Construction Crew
    Check out our wares!

The developers have been make some changes to the vendor window (purchasing / selling) so it's a bit more streamlined. The next client release will also include a column to indicate if an item is techniqued.

Quote Originally Posted by Yfelvik View Post
    The developers have been make some changes to the vendor window (purchasing / selling) so it's a bit more streamlined. The next client release will also include a column to indicate if an item is techniqued.
    Looking forward to the changes to the vendor window! Semi-related to that, I was wondering if the suggestion for a "Scribed" trade filter made it through to the potential changes? Would be immensely helpful for the consigner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kida View Post
    Looking forward to the changes to the vendor window! Semi-related to that, I was wondering if the suggestion for a "Scribed" trade filter made it through to the potential changes? Would be immensely helpful for the consigner.
    seconding this.
    I know it's been suggested before but yeah, a filter to see what I haven't scribed yet would be amazing for both connies -and- trainers.

The new filter buttons Requirements met, Scribed, and Teched are now on the live servers.

These are great filters to have, thank you! :-)

Thread Information