Thread: Weirdly poor FPS in Istaria.

Default Weirdly poor FPS in Istaria.

Hey, just thought I'd finally toss something up and see if anyone has some thoughts..

Long story short, my PC can run FFXIV and Dragon Age Inquisition and such at fairly solid FPS, 40-60 even in high action moments, but somehow Istaria sits in the 35-45 range.. I only noticed it because I jumped on my husband's computer to play a bit and, in doing so, noticed it was surprisingly smooth and he was getting a steady 60fps!

I feel like my system should be able to more than handle Istaria, and then some, so there must be some little something that is weirding things up. Does the Nvidia control panel toying with things cause issues in Istaria? I already tuned the settings up and down a bit, but even with shadows off/view plane down/etc. it didn't go above 50, and that just doesn't seem right at all.

I tried to attach my dxdiag to this post but got a general "upload failed" error, so.. :\

I'm on Win7 64bit, GeForce GTX 970, i7 3.2ghz, 12gb RAM, so I should be weeeelll beyond the specs necessary. GeForce drivers are relatively close to up to date, I don't think I grabbed the latest release or two, but besides that..

Default Re: Weirdly poor FPS in Istaria.

I've been wondering the same. I've tried tweaking the Nvidia card for Istaria but I can't get above a solid 20 fps. (it doesn't drop either, but it won't improve) Before the optimizations for fps were added I hit 30-40 regularly. There are places in which I suffer lag spikes so large that I stop for 3-5 seconds.

I can run DA:I on near max settings, I know FFXIV gets a brilliant frame rate, and none of my other games have an impossibly low frame rate like this or freeze up for seconds at a time while moving/playing. Like Losian, i'm well beyond the spec range for running Ista.
    Last edited by Arzel Rashemi; April 24th, 2015 at 09:35 AM.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Hmm, I use the default settings in Nvidia control panel and I have 4Gb ram, Nvidia 8400 GS, a 7 year old card, with 1Gb video ram and a busted fan the past 3 years. I consistently hit 50-60fps when I log in. Maybe after a couple of hours in a heavy town, it'll drop to 30-35.

I can maybe suggest https://support.istaria.com/index.ph...ode=view&id=69 to use those default settings.
    That might be a bit out of date. When I open my Nvidia Control panel, the Manage 3D settings are highlighted (left) by default. The right window pane would be the Restore button (near bottom). I find those the best settings.

I also find that just lowering the Max View Distance a tad can help out a lot, too. I used to run everything full max. I still have have all the other slider bars to far right (max detail) but have my view distance to about 3/4.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

What Cega said about the max distance... If you haven't adjusted it in the past few months, go ahead and give the slider a jiggle now. Max view distance was lowered and I noticed my settings didn't automatically take this into effect. The new max distance is very beneficial for FPS.

I would also recommend sending in a ticket with logs of a particularly slow play session and describe your problem to support: They can see a lot more from your logs and tell you a lot more than most of us forum-goers can. I imagine most of the optimizations for framerate were done based off of specs from players that send in their logs (like myself, I can run Istaria very juicy smooth after working with support on various issues), and so not everyone may have the same benefits. Just a guess there, of course. Wouldn't hurt to try a ticket.

-summons the local Jstn cuz he knows a lot more about these issues than I would!-

Kida,
    It's interesting you said that about max distance. I have always left it at full range, but the other day I had some lag so I thought I would play with it, I slid it down 3/4 and hit apply and the fog was so thick, I decided to move it back but when I did it was not the distance I had before I fiddled with it. I thought there was something wrong with my settings but I think it's exactly as you mentioned the settings didn't automatically take this into effect when it changed.

I do wish I hadn't of messed with it now, but I guess I'll get used to it.
    -Kor

It depends which server board I think is which.

I actually have had a huge FPS jump the last time I logged on. I usually had 40-45fps steadily, but now it's staying in the 55-60fps range - without jiggling my view distance slider or touching any options. In Feladan, as per usual, the FPS drops to about 20-30 before a crash a few moments later anyway, as it has for the past years I've played. Dalimond also makes my FPS drop a little bit, as well as effects-heavy places, but barely ever lower than 50fps.

My rig:
    i7 3.4ghz
    GeForce 750 TI
    8gb RAM
    Win 7 64bit

Edit:
    From the link that Ceg gave, it says that:
    - Ambient Occlusion
    - Anisotropic Filtering
    - Antialiasing
    - Overlay

..can mess with Ista. For me, it says:
    Ambient Occlusion: Off

Anisotropic filtering: Application controlled

Antialiasing, FXAA: Off
    Antialiasing, Gamma Correction: On
    Antialiasing, Mode: Application-controlled
    Antialiasing, Setting: Application-controlled
    Antialiasing, Transparency: Off

I don't see "overlay" anywhere.

As for Istaria's options:

Last edited by Racktor; April 24th, 2015 at 04:37 PM.

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

I had all those tips applied anyway but since the 'tinkering' started I dropped to a steady 25fps (14fps busy).
    I run on an MSI Apache Pro.
    My Nvidia control box basically laughs at me for having such a powerful laptop and using less than basic settings

I get pretty decent FPS on my CyberPowerPC Fangbook HX6-110 (MSI MS-16GC barebone equivalent to retail MSI GE60), no less than 20 usually, but anywhere above 30 into the 50s maximum. I do not use the NVIDIA GTX 765M as the Intel HD 4600 graphics on my i7-4700MQ only hit about 50% utilization for Istaria. I'm maxed out on everything but do have shadows disabled, as they have always had a large impact on FPS for me along with the window manager (run FRAPS or Rivatuner Statistics Server along with the game and press / to show/hide it, and I guarantee your FPS will noticeably go up with your UI hidden).

I have the best performance on Istaria with 4GHz+ Intel latest-generation cores, can be a Pentium G3258 or an i7, doesn't matter, only the core clock speed does. Notebook users need to make sure their CPU runs in the highest performance state, as every 100MHz you shave off the processor drops the framerate by about 2-3 FPS.
    Jstntron (Chaos): Ancient, Grand Master Dragon Crafter
    Woobie (Chaos): Saris, 41 Adventure/216 Crafter
    Vulkanos Firefiend (Order): Hatchling, 20/11

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

I should add the screen freezes a lot more now too, the only way I can clear it is to Task manager and end task.
    Mostly this seems to happen just after I push the 'recall' button other times it's when I use portals.

Ok, well I can say I must have missed a memo on something concerning the FPS. If I might pull this directly from the Wiki...

/fps <number>

You may set the FPS (frames per second) limit of the game client to another limit (default appears to be 20). This option does set the Limit but it could not be confirmed if the client does really react on the change, besides showing it in the FPS-window. Values can vary between 1 and 80 (above 80 the fps window stays empty which looks like a bug)
    So my FPS was set at the default of 20, which explains my issue there. So I set it to 80, and am getting FPS of 45-50 again. There was some improvement of 50-60 in places with the new blight client.

So, considering my derp on that front (not that I knew about this at all before today.) I'd check your FPS settings maybe if your FPS is low or stuck at a certain number?

As for the constant choppiness and momentary freezes I have been having, I think the blight client has also solved that mystery for me.

My issues for the freezing occurred at the same time as each of those messages. Thank you to the devs for actually giving a visible notation like this because it really did help explain what was going on. Its a bit amusing too, apologizing for the bump, lol.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Ah yes, that does happen the first time you use /window fpswindow . For some reason it won't go higher than 20 fps. You have to type /fps twice (first will turn display off, 2nd will turn it back on). From there it will show the correct fps. So if you're stuck at 20, that /fps will fix it. I didn't know you could type a number after it such as 80. I assume either I can't go past 60 or I've never tried /fps 80 before. But pretty sure 60 is the best I can hope for out of this dinosaur video card.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

My husband's PC has an ati card, which is why I was wondering if maybe Nvidia just had some intrinsic funk with Istaria.. I have toggled my settings all around without much of a gain, never really pushed about 40-50, while his PC, with lower specs than mine, would run a constant 50-60 nice and smooth!

As for contacting support, what 'logs' should one keep to pass along? I've seen a few options in the in-game options as well as the launcher.

When you contact support and send in logs, make sure to check the "Support Logs" option before launching the game, in the alternative launching options. It should pump out something like four other logs in addition to the usual chat log. Been a while since I touched the launcher, but hopefully I remembered enough to have this reply help. :P

Check this page to do support logs
    https://support.istaria.com/index.ph...ode=view&id=28

If you plan on sending more support logs, delete the old one before making a new one, to make sure it don't add to it. You will need a zip program of some kind.
    Last edited by Dacurly; April 25th, 2015 at 06:57 PM.
    Dacurly Dac : Phoenix Fellowship Guild : Chaos Server
    http://phoenixfellowship.clanz.co/

Thread Information