Thread: Steam Player Considering Istaria

Default Steam Player Considering Istaria

There's a question on the Steam forums from someone considering coming back to Istaria. As you may be aware, the developers are working (a bit slowly) to make the needed steps to bring Istaria to Steam. If you have a moment, please consider providing some feedback below. It's always good to let people know about Istaria.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/f...5934126319489/

Default Re: Steam Player Considering Istaria

Seems steam is not in full operation yet. I wonder what kind of issues they have to deal with as well.

Gateway Timeout
    The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server.
    Reference #1.9555ee3f.1433865544.67a79d9

I just posted to an article on the steam form there, but I want to elaborate just a little bit... Here is what I posted

Start quote """I just resubbed after being gone for awhile... When I started playing Istaria I was 13 years old... I had never played an MMO before. I played a dragon, naturally, and fell in love with the game. I have played quite a few different MMO's since then, and got bored of them all rather quickly.

Eventually I also started playing 3 different bi-peds and loved it even more. After awhile I got sick of the buggyness and the crashes, etc and played less frequently.

Long story short, I'm 23 now and recently started a new sub. It saddens me to see the lack of players, although there are quite a few more than I expected, it's not like it was 10 years ago. The main problem seems to be the players are either low level, or extremely high level. There's no "middle class" to say. I feel like the steam greenlight could be extremely beneficial for the game, I truely hope it does help the community. I plan on keeping my subs current and even build up a plot again. The combat system has improved tenfold perfomance wise, it's more responsive, I haven't noticed the combat lag at all, its so much smoother than it used to be.

Although the dragon nerf is rather sad, I see both sides of the argument, however I don't think nerfing the most popular attraction to the game is helping things in the long run. Dragons always needed bi-peds to perform their best anyways, Dragons and bipeds worked so well together. I'd rather not get into that argument though.

Even after well over 2000 in game hours in the past 10 years there is still this longing to play. The community is so helpful. Many of my hours in game were spent sitting on top of the vault in brist (while it was still there) and throwing snowballs at all the multitudes of people porting in and out while conversing with friends. Everyone is so friendly with each other and gets to know each other whether its just through guilds or personal interaction.

Anyways, if you're thinking about trying Istaria again, I would definitely say do it. What have you got to lose, if you don't want to shell out you 10$ to try it for a month, just play a human (like I did when I wanted to come back)

The devs have been working hard lately, and it appears like they aren't going to give up.

Also to the new players, the amount of content in the first 2 tiers (up to lvl 40) will keep you busy, you'll know if you want to continue by the time you get there, it's worth a shot. No, it's not for everyone, but you gotta try it to know. If you're looking for an easy going, yet moderatly challenging game, don't hesitate. If you get in a pinch the community will reach down and bring you back up. All you have to do is make some friends and be polite, you'll fit right in.

tl;dr

Things have improved a lot, lag, instability, end game content, etc are all improved

Still, some things that need work yes, such as.... finding the content to play, but stick around ask questions, make your own adventure, it's a beautiful world to explore.

If you have any questions feel free to message me, or hit me up in game on the

Chaos server

-Zachy Attacky
    -Woe Destruction
    -HannabaltheII Smith

End Quote """

I don't know the progress on the steam greenlight, but I assume the devs are focusing on the big fixes for the next few months because they want the experience of the new players to be as awesome and smooth as possible *crosses fingers*

Lets face it, this game needs tons of new players to keep us old folks entertained to the full extent this game has to offer. We like helping the little guys. But we need to help the new players in order to keep them around. I think the devs could help a lot with that too. If I remember right there used to be a new player channel they could join automatically, which helped a lot. But there are a few other things I've noticed since returning as well. Such as, when you open a chat window for an npc to get a new quest or something, and once you're done with the conversation you right click and close.... and behold, all your chat windows close.... rather frustrating, and the new players might not have the savvy to re open and redo the windows to their liking.

Anyways, I think the community could come up with a bunch of things (potentially easy fixes) that we have just "gotten used to" that would help this game to accelerate to new heights... Which, lets face it, we all dream of.

Maybe to help some of the really old faithful long term players who missed out on the old/super old content give us a chance to get some of the items we missed out on or give us an opportunity to get something relatively comparable... Just make us hunt for it, leave some hidden npcs around to give the quests or something. We've already explored every square inch of the wonderful world of Istaria, give us a reason to search again.

Oh, and on a side note, a few years ago I accidentally equipped a BHM to one of my crafting oriented characters and want to transfer it to my melee biped... Is that possible mr devs?
    Last edited by Zachyattacky; June 10th, 2015 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Typos/additions

Hopefully people on Steam will give the game a good chance. I decided I wanted to return because I'm burnt out on modern MMO's and want to go back to some old school games. I'm curious how well it would be received by people whose first MMO experience was with games like WoW. Hopefully there won't be a situation of instant gratification gamers playing for less than an hour and giving it a 0/10. But that begs the question, would you want those people to stick around in the community anyway?

I'm just like Zachy there, I started out years ago in 2008, I was only 12 years old and it was my first MMO I ever played. I didn't even know how to talk, and another hatchie decided to show me around, even though I couldn't give him any responses. (Silly of me...)

Years later, I've played many other MMOs (all the while still paying for this one) and Istaria is the only one I keep running back to. Nothing beats playing a dragon, and of course, nothing beats the amazing, wonderful community Istaria has. I don't even get a reply when it comes to other games.

Thread Information