Thread: Launcher loosing its settings

Question Launcher loosing its settings

Hey everyone,

currently I have launcher 4.16 and it seems it's rather buggy. More often the login screen is like this:

Difficult to set the checkboxes if you cannot read them. When I login, the system specs window comes up. And it does so always. Even so I have disabled hardware check in the troubleshoot options and even so I clicked "never show again" in the system specs window.

Likewise it's not keeping the setting "Do not warn for multiple processes" so when I want to start the launcher even so istaria is running it always tells me, that this isn't a good idea. I know that, thats why I want to disable that option.

Anyone else with that problem?
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

Default Re: Launcher loosing its settings

Hmm, that is odd. Your background image is missing. The words, beside checkboxes, actually appear on the background image itself.

For example, look at your /lib/resources/backgrounds folder. You should see 1.png to 17.png. Those load randomly. Do you see these images here? If not maybe do a full scan.

I believe the preference of your launcher (troubleshoot button) are saved in a file in your /prefs folder, they end with .lopt

Example if your Istaria account login is JBSmith, then you should see JBSmith.lopt . You'll see random looking characters in there, almost looks like an encryption key. But these are actually just preferences and settings.

I'm wondering if this is due to Istaria not being ran as administrator. Files in the Program Files folders are restricted and windows does not like anything to change them, without administrator privilege.

Maybe try to verify the "Play Istaria" icon is set to run as administrator - https://support.istaria.com/index.ph...ode=view&id=68

You likely don't need to do step 5 or 6. But step 4 is the more important one.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

In the lib/resources/backgrounds folder there are the image files as well as the agh files. In all folders inside there are agh, png and even sometimes jpg files as well hmm. Maybe I delete it for a test

I deleted two .lopt-files. One without any name at all (file was only called ".lopt") and one with my loginname and .lopt in the end.

Didn't helped as it right now lost its settings again (even so I had a background this time).

I also have to accept the EULA again as well as Rules of Conduct and the System Specs message...

The launcher is running with administrative privileges too.
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)

I'm out of ideas. I think its some sort of permission issue. Did you try a full scan? What version of Java do you have? On win 7, you can click Start button, type Java in the search box; you should see About Java, it will tell you there. Option is also in control panel, programs, java. Are you using Windows 7, 8 or 8.1?

After a full scan, you could check the permission issue, with a test, if you have the extra hard drive space.

Assuming your istaria folder in C:\Program Files (x86), you could try making a copy to a folder outside of Program Files. ie Make directory c:\istaria . Copy everything there, then run the jlauncher.exe from that new folder.

Istaria is friendly, you don't have to re-install multiple copies, it will run just fine from any folder. I usually keep 3 copies of Istaria, for various servers and tests. Just create shortcuts for each folder to the jlauncher.exe . This is also the ideal way to dual log as less chance for conflicts by running two copies from same folder.

If you don't have the extra space, you can also just simply "move" the folder. In windows explorer, right click the Istaria folder, choose "Cut" instead of "Copy". Then right click the C: Drive (or another folder of your choosing), then right click "Paste". that method will just simply move the game instead of creating duplicate files. You could then move it back if you wish, to the C:\Program Files (x86) folder. I personally don't run any copies of my game from that folder, since I like to edit things quickly. I keep a folder C:\Games and put things in there. Avoids potential permission issues when you try to edit files.
    Last edited by Cegaiel; June 23rd, 2015 at 04:42 AM.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Sorry, had let things slide a bit..

I'm using Win7, Java is 1.8.0_45. I never had this problem before I started the thread and I would say nothing changed on the file permissions there.

It still happens to me, not every day but only then and when. I so far cannot say, what I would have done differently than on a day where it still worked flawlessly.

I will try to examine it some more...

I think I found the problem. When I do a full patch, the patcher also wants to update the LauncherPrefs.lopt file. But the file which comes from the server is completely empty, only having 101 empty lines inside. Maybe this deletes my settings?

Thread Information