Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 - Do I (We) Want it?

Default Windows 10 - Do I (We) Want it?

Thought about this today when I noticed a program "GWX ConfigManager" working in the background hogging my bandwidth.

Before returning to Istaria I reserved my free Win10 upgrade on my main gaming computer. Now the question I have here, for both developers and others that might already be using Win10 - and for the benefit of others in a similar situation...

Do I (we) want to allow for the automatic upgrade to Win10? Is Istaria compatible with Win10? Will it be one of those programs that might be removed and require re-installation?

If anyone has answers to these questions or others that I can't think off that are just important regarding Win10's imminent delivery it would be exceedingly helpful.

Thank you,

Aaelefein
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Default Re: Windows 10 - Do I (We) Want it?

Reserving the Windows 10 upgrade purportedly lets you install it when you choose to, and the optimal method would probably be to upgrade and then perform an OS reset (as in Windows 8 where you can reset the OS). As with any OS upgrade, back up everything in case something bad does happen, and of course regular backups should be done as it is.

Istaria runs fine in Windows 10 Preview as of last year, though that was someone else testing. I admittedly haven't tried Windows 10 personally as the laptop I was planning on installing it on had a CPU from 2004 (original Athlon 64) that lacked a specific x64 instruction that Microsoft stopped emulating in software with the Windows 8.1 update. I may try next week on a different machine as I do need to reformat one, and try Istaria of course.
    Jstntron (Chaos): Ancient, Grand Master Dragon Crafter
    Woobie (Chaos): Saris, 41 Adventure/216 Crafter
    Vulkanos Firefiend (Order): Hatchling, 20/11

I have been testing up to the latest build Windows 10 Preview 10130 and have logged into Istaria several times as well as previous builds and everything seem to be working fine for me.

I've also been testing the Windows 10 preview for a while on a VM (virtual machine).

From the notes I've been reading, it doesn't appear you can simply downgrade back to Win 7 (or 8) if you don't like it. It suggests you'd need to reinstall windows or use recovery partition (or DVD) to get it back.

I'm reluctant to try new OS. I stayed with XP until Microsoft stopped providing updates. I had to go to Win 7. From horror stories on Vista, I was still reluctant. Surprise. I love Win 7 now, would never consider going back to XP, even if it was still supported.

I've played on a few Win 8 machines. Oh, I'm not very thrilled with it.

Now that you know how conservative I am, I have to say that I'm actually looking forward to Win10. To me, its like Win7 with new bells and whistles. But not those undesirable bells and whistles of Win8 (tiles for one) and difficulty navigating.

But I still have not actually tried Win10, outside of a VM environment. I don't have any spare pc's I'm willing to do a clean wipe. But since all my devices (sound, network, video, etc) works inside the VM, then I'd have to assume the drivers for Win10 is probably still the Win7 versions. Seems compatible.

Pretty nice article I saw today while I did my daily Google news: http://www.zdnet.com/article/with-a-...yone-who-asks/

I've been in the insider program a while, can't hurt for y'all to join to make sure you get a free copy too. I'm not 100% sure if everyone gets Win10 free, or Win 7/8 users, or only users who signed up for Insider program (free). I'm not sure if everyone sees that Microsoft logo (in all white) icon, near the clock (bottom right corner) that reserves a copy. The release date is July 29, 2015.

When it's available, I'm going to do a good backup and take the plunge as my main OS (instead of VM).

Oh Mac users, take note of this paragraph in that article:

Likewise, Microsoft is offering every Mac owner an opportunity to try out Windows 10 and keep it for free if they like it. Just install a preview release now, either in Boot Camp or in a virtual machine, and you will get an automatic, fully activated upgrade to the final edition when it is released. No strings attached.

Based on that statement. I don't see why that wouldn't be true for Linux users, too. Just grab a copy, install it to virtual machine (VM Ware, Oracle VMBox, etc).

Link to join Microsoft Insider Program (free) and/or download preview installer/.iso: https://insider.windows.com/

Once you sign in (or register), you'll see the Product ID# (key) for Windows 10. I don't think it's unique, but still, should be a valid # for that and future copies. You don't need to enter the key anywhere, but might not hurt to write it down.
    Last edited by Cegaiel; June 21st, 2015 at 06:48 AM.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

About an hour after my last post, decided to take a leap of faith. Made proper backups and wiped my own personal pc.

Game runs lovely, no issues. I've installed all my heavy duty programs back on, no issues. Win10 still has the free personal version of IIS web server included and can still be turned on in control panel, just like 7. Got that configured with no issues either.

No issues installing Java and all those other little things, that's needed. Having a blast not using this in a VM. Only have 4Gb memory, so running it in a virtual machine wasn't idea for the serious testing as it consumed almost all of it. Outside a VM, this uses the same amount of memory I was using in Win 7. Quite a fun OS. This even has built in Xbox program and I can connect to my Xbox One from my PC.

Wanted to add one (and only one so far) negative side effect I've noticed so far. I can't seem to install Oracle VMBox on Windows 10. Install program just hangs at a certain point, until I hit cancel button. During this hanging period, it should be presenting popup confirmations about installing the necessary Ethernet drivers, etc for support. Doesn't seem to do that. I might have to try VM Ware next, blah... Once Win10 is live, there'd likely be a fix though, I hope...

Cegaiel...

Just wanted to say thank you for your input and testing...makes me feel a lot better now. Considering a gigabyte file takes anywhere from 4-6 hours to download, the last thing I wanted to have to worry about was reloading all the game on my primary gaming computer - which is NOT a laptop and can't be taken down to the library to use their faster connection (get about 3-4 gigabytes a hour down there).

Since I am upgrading from Win8.1 to 10 ( as well as Win7 -> Win10) - is it necessary that I do a wipe? I've heard from some that it is a pretty seamless and compared to most Win upgrades, painless process this time around.

Again, thanks for your information.

Aaelefein
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    Wanted to add one (and only one so far) negative side effect I've noticed so far. I can't seem to install Oracle VMBox on Windows 10. Install program just hangs at a certain point, until I hit cancel button. During this hanging period, it should be presenting popup confirmations about installing the necessary Ethernet drivers, etc for support. Doesn't seem to do that. I might have to try VM Ware next, blah... Once Win10 is live, there'd likely be a fix though, I hope...
    If I had to guess, Windows 10 probably prevents installing unsigned drivers. It might allow a popup to approve, but since that call is coming from a separate process/thread, it's probably hidden. You never get to see the "approve" option. See if Oracle has an updated version that makes it compatible.

Try VMware

I'd just let it do the upgrade and not a clean install. The only reason I did a clean install I generally like to do a wipe once a year or so to remove nonsense that accumulates over time. It was about that time.

An upgrade would probably be better as it should remember your settings, keep your documents, etc. This should work like other upgrades in past, when done you should see a windows.old folder on your computer. That will be the old Win7 or 8 OS. You should be able to delete that to recover some hard drive space. It should be smooth, we hope. Microsoft seems confident too, by putting all of those notices on everyone computers that they can download it via updates.

Oh one more thing. There's a browser called Project Spartan (might be called Microsoft Edge at release) that's default. You can't even really find the traditional IE 11 on there anywhere, but it does exist. I couldn't find that famous blue "e" icon anywhere. What I would up doing was creating a new shortcut manually, point it to c:\program files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe . Voila got the regular browser back.
    Last edited by Cegaiel; June 23rd, 2015 at 12:15 AM.

Oh one more thing. There's a browser called Project Spartan (might be called Microsoft Edge at release) that's default. You can't even really find the traditional IE 11 on there anywhere, but it does exist. I couldn't find that famous blue "e" icon anywhere. What I would up doing was creating a new shortcut manually, point it to c:\program files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe . Voila got the regular browser back.
    You mean the new Win10 browser is nothing like the current IE? Sometimes they can't leave well enough alone. And some times I wish for the good ole days of win 3.1
    Spirit Brothers

Another tip. I had read that they were suppose to bring back the search feature (search bar you see when you click Start button in Win7, think it's missing in Win8? not sure).

As you see, there doesn't appear to be a search bar at first glance. Here is the Start button view:

Even though there is no search bar, just start typing something on keyboard, while in Start menu.
    Immediately, the Start menu disappears and the search window appears. Here I type Calculator. If you have an actual program that matches the word, it appears at top (Window App). You then click that to open Calculator.

Of course you can still find Calculator in the All Apps choice, that can be clicked to Open. But that's the gist of how the "search bar" works now.

Last edited by Cegaiel; June 23rd, 2015 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaelefein View Post
    You mean the new Win10 browser is nothing like the current IE? Sometimes they can't leave well enough alone. And some times I wish for the good ole days of win 3.1
    No, its a totally different & new concept. I think they want you to use it by making it difficult to find IE 11, but it's easy enough to keep using regular Internet Explorer, so no worries there.

The only reason I tried so hard to figure out how to put IE back on, was after I installed Java, it shows a link "Click to confirm Java was installed correctly" or something like that. Normally you click that button, it takes you to another webpage that loads java and displays a "Success" message. Well, while I was in Spartan, it would not do that. Got an error instead. I decided to install Chrome, it started saying something like Java wasn't installed. I was wondering if I did something wrong, but was pretty sure I didn't. So that got me on the track to find the "regular" internet explorer. Once I started using that (yes it was already installed, just not easy to find, at least I never found it, so made a manual shortcut when I saw the appropriate folder). But I'm sure once release date hits, those minor things will be fixed. It's likely that Java's webpage wasn't configured to detect Win10 OS. Don't think it was Chrome's or Spartan's fault, I think the Java webpage wasn't setup to detect/recognize this unreleased software yet.

Spartan using Bing to fill in the blanks (search suggestions) while you type. Doesn't seem to be a way to change to google or another search provider (short of going to the website itself). So think its a move to try to keep Bing alive.
    Last edited by Cegaiel; June 23rd, 2015 at 06:36 AM.

As stated above, no known issues with Istaria in Windows 10 Preview build 10130. I installed it on a Core i7-2600K rig with no issues, using just the integrated graphics (Intel HD 3000) which it had drivers out of the box for.

Screenshot (1).jpg
    Jstntron (Chaos): Ancient, Grand Master Dragon Crafter
    Woobie (Chaos): Saris, 41 Adventure/216 Crafter
    Vulkanos Firefiend (Order): Hatchling, 20/11

Been running win10 for over 6 months now, and so far I love it. Haven't had any issues with games yet. It has had a few bugs with the start menu, but that's to be expected from a tech preview. Search field in the taskbar has been running very smoothly as well and I'm even considering trading in Chrome for Spartan. Where win8 was nothing but trouble, at least for Istaria, the folks at Microsoft really nailed it this time!

I find it strange you could not find IE 11. I found it right away after upgrading to 10130. It's in "All Apps -> Windows Accessories -> And right-click on Internet Explorer and pin to taskbar.
    Internet Explorer 11 version:11.0.10011.0
    Upgrade Versions: RTM (KB2841134)

cheers

Has anyone tried streaming on Win10? e.g. Netflix/Hulu. Win 8.1, I have to fight it for at least a 1/2 hour, reseting browsers, refreshing the page, going back to browse, and reclicking the play button on what I want to watch. (this problem persists in both EI 11, and Chrome, which are the correct 64bit downloads, and up to date) Firefox forget it. the silverlight plug ins keep crashing. even tried uninstalling/reinstalling both browser, and plug ins. still cannot stream on Firefox. But Chrome, and EI, I can, but I have to fight tooth, and claw to get it to work. I didn`t have this issue in Win 8.0. So, I`m hoping Win 10 will run better.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    Has anyone tried streaming on Win10? e.g. Netflix/Hulu. Win 8.1, I have to fight it for at least a 1/2 hour, reseting browsers, refreshing the page, going back to browse, and reclicking the play button on what I want to watch. (this problem persists in both EI 11, and Chrome, which are the correct 64bit downloads, and up to date) Firefox forget it. the silverlight plug ins keep crashing. even tried uninstalling/reinstalling both browser, and plug ins. still cannot stream on Firefox. But Chrome, and EI, I can, but I have to fight tooth, and claw to get it to work. I didn`t have this issue in Win 8.0. So, I`m hoping Win 10 will run better.
    I just tested Netflix in IE 11 on Win10 preview 10130 and it works fine. Is yours the same version with same KB?
    I also stream bluray movies to HDTV in living room with MPC and VLC with no problem.
    Check to see if you have all the updates and they installed correctly.

VMWare Player 7.1.2 works beautifully on Windows 10. Hopefully VirtualBox will work in a future version eventually. I'm just so used to it, but VMware looks nice, too.

But just wanted to add that VMWare works great on Windows 10. I got Win 7 running in Win 10 now. For those familiar with Frid's aghviewer.exe , I could not get it to work in Windows 10. It crashes instantly. Compatibility mode, admin, Troubleshoot, etc; nothing will let this program run in Win 10. Even tried different flavors of asp.net.

So this was one of my motivations to get a win7 virtual machine running, because I still want to keep Win10 as main OS, cool new toy. Was disappointed when I went to export a .agh to a .png and Frid's tool wouldn't work. But it runs fine in the Win7 virtual machine.

So those were the only 2 regrets I've experienced with Win 10 so far. Both fixed now

Istaria runs fine on Windows 10... except the CPU is always at 100% usage. Even with graphics at the lowest settings and the interface hidden, I still get 80% load. Idk what's wrong... I didn't have this problem before installing W10 (I had W7 before).

Off topic, but wanted to show a pretty slick shortcut for Windows 10.

Win Key + X or Right click the Start button. Shortcut to commonly used things, that normally takes several clicks to access

Thread Information