Thread: How to play Istaria on Mac?

Default How to play Istaria on Mac?

This seems a bit outdated https://support.istaria.com/index.ph...ode=view&id=64

Some of the steps on PlayonMac doesn't match the pictures. I'm sure the program menu has changed since 2012, obviously

Do any Mac users use PlayonMac or do you just play Istaria directly through a Windows emulator, such as WINE?

Would anyone consider creating a simple tutorial to replace that page with something current?

Or if there are multiple ways. I just don't know much about Macs.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Default Re: How to play Istaria on Mac?

I gave it multiple tries on my Macbook, but playonmac and the wine wrappers I used to play Terraria couldn't seem to handle the new java-enabled launcher, so I gave up on it altogether. If the launcher wasn't using it, I think it would have been easier to pull off, hehe. Here's the ticket I submitted back when I tried, and was told it was "passed onto the team":

"I just wanted to mention that the tutorial to install Istaria on Macs is outdated and contains a few errors. I tried following the instructions to the letter, but could not get it to work. After doing all of the steps, I went back and purged the Istaria Drive, then moved the contents of a separate drive (where I installed the most recent Java SE, a Windows x86 Offline install file, by the way) into the Istaria Drive, since the Java install itself would not run in the Istaria Drive after having the game installed (so run the JRE before installing Istaria). I then ran the Istaria .exe within the Istaria Drive (I got to this option by Configure > Istaria > Miscellanious > Run an .exe in this drive), and it installed perfectly (it had an error near the end, I saw something about firewall access, and then it crashed wine). From there, to make a shortcut, I just went to Configure > Istaria > Make a new shortcut from this virtual drive. The launcher seems to flash white, until I mute the music, and then it turns completely white, aside from the login text boxes. I tried logging in, but it continuously gives me a Decryption Error and then crashes. I don't think the game will work for me on my MacBook after all."

I can always give it some more test runs to try and find a method that works.

"Our ancestors came down from the heavens and proudly reigned over the land they had created."

I currently play on imac 21".
    I followed the guide but had to tweak a bit (almost one afternoon of tweaking!) but at the end i was able to make it work, here what i did different from guide:
    - First java 8 doesn't install on current play on mac, i had to download and install java 1.7, java 1.6 is not supported by launcher anymore.
    - Wine version installed and used 1.6 instead of "Standard"
    - Wine configuration set up in graphic "Emule a virtual desktop" and set up a 1024x 768 desktop and enable to permit window manager to control windows and decorate.
    What really did the difference was changing wine version from standard to 1.6, before game started but crashed as soon as i tried to log in.
    Hope it helps!
    Fluuoro.

Thank you very much. The tips have been formatted linked on the customer support site as well.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1..._-PgfPM-7U/pub

The instruction posted on the support site did work, and I was able to play using playonmac...until very recently. The patch applied in June with the update to directx9.0c now makes the launcher crash every time before you can do anything at all. As soon as you start the launcher a popup appears saying directx9.0c is required with two option buttons -> go to website to download dx9.0c or decline. If you hit decline the launcher immediately crashes out. The problem is, playonmac does not appear to be compatible with dx9.0c. I tried downloading it from the website and manually installing the files in the appropriate virtual drive folder, which was a chore in itself, but this just made things worse, nothing worked after that. I had to go in and reinstall the version of directx9 that was included with the wine version in playonmac, which left me where i started, still unable to log in. Support gave me a link to an old launcher, which worked for 1 login, however i forgot to check the "do no patch" box when i logged in, so it patched, and the next time i tried to log in I got the same error of needing to download dx9.0c. I tried going back to the old launcher that i was given, but it no longer works anymore either.
    I am now left completely unable to play the game as I have no other computer to use. Things were going well for so long, and now this. Very depressing, I don't want to have to leave the game, but for now it seems I have no choice.

Try deleting or renaming d3d8.dll and enbconvertor.ini in your istaria folder, they are the files that turn on directx9 usage. I use windows 10 and have run the game with or without them 2 files and there is not much difference how the game runs for me. You will have to set the game not to patch too, the files get reloaded when patched. I just changed the names to d3d8dll.bac and enbconvertorini.bac so they are easy to change back. Not sure if this will help, but worth a try.
    Dacurly Dac : Phoenix Fellowship Guild : Chaos Server
    http://phoenixfellowship.clanz.co/

Quote Originally Posted by Fluuoro View Post
    I currently play on imac 21".
    I followed the guide but had to tweak a bit (almost one afternoon of tweaking!) but at the end i was able to make it work, here what i did different from guide:
    - First java 8 doesn't install on current play on mac, i had to download and install java 1.7, java 1.6 is not supported by launcher anymore.
    - Wine version installed and used 1.6 instead of "Standard"
    - Wine configuration set up in graphic "Emule a virtual desktop" and set up a 1024x 768 desktop and enable to permit window manager to control windows and decorate.
    What really did the difference was changing wine version from standard to 1.6, before game started but crashed as soon as i tried to log in.
    Hope it helps!
    Fluuoro.

Just want to shout out Fluuoro - this information is what solved my issues. I can play Horizons on my Sierra iMac 27" 2013 now thanks to this tip!

The sign in Launcher screen still blinks though, haha

Thank you,

Ilmen Luinloke
    Order

This thread helped me alot ! thanks

Finally I was able to install and play on my mac again!
    Configuration: Imac 21" Catalina 10.15
    My updated procedure:

Preparation:
    1. Download and install Porting kit from https://www.portingkit.com
    It's another wine wrapper but it seems more focused on games.
    2. Download Istaria setup
    3. Download java stand alone exe (I got jre-8u391-windows-i586.exe)

Installation:
    4. Launch Porting kit, left bar select, "all games" and click on "Custom port" icon.
    5. Give a name to the new port, i picked "istaria".
    6. In advanced setting i choose "window 10" and window driver "mac driver"
    7. next next ...
    8. When you reach "wrapper preparation" its ask for an exe, select your istaria setup and proceed.
    9. It will download all the dependencies to launch the exe, then it will start the proper installation. It will take some time to complete both.
    10. When it's over, in "games", "installed" there should be a "CUSTOM PORT" icon, if you hover with mouse over you should read istaria or the name you gave
    11. If you try to launch now, it will say that java is missing.
    12. Click on gear on the bottom left of icon instead, and choose "Install Patch/Mod"
    13. Select your java standalone binary to launch.
    14. Your java window could be half broken when it starts with small buttons and no text on them(mine was). After some trials and search on how it should appears , the correct button it seems to be the left one. Do not mark the check box. My installation was ok but hanged at the end and did not close..after 2 minutes i closed manually the application.
    15. Now istaria should launch, it will take some time the first start because it load a lot of things.
    16. Enjoy

Thread Information