Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warning about the upcoming Windows 10 upgrade.

Default Re: Warning about the upcoming Windows 10 upgrade.

I upgraded my Windows 8.1 laptop to 10, so far seems to run Istaria beautifuly. however, I still have the same issues streaming Netflix, and Hulu as I did with 8.1. Firefox`s Silverlight plug in constantly crash (this also happens on my Windows 7 desktop) Chrome, just simply won`t load. thinking Netflix, and Hulu just can`t run on 8.1 nor 10. But at least Istaria works. XD

For the most part I'd say my upgrade was relatively painless - Istaria works and I didn't lose any data or have to re-install anything. That being said...

I have noticed one huge PITA leading up to the upgrade and a lot afterwards - A LOT of background disk operations after start up and is like 98% read operations. Mostly it appears to be svchst.exe, HPSF.exe (which I think is host process super fetch). Two other programs seem to have lots of disk activity since upgrade and that's McAfee and the so-called NVidia Experience and Backend programs.

Only use this PC for games, so unless anyone has better advice (done all the scans and such - nothing nefarious lurking around) all I can think/hope is that it's WIN10 rearranging things the way it likes?
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

I don't like Windows 10 for other reasons. Like always Microsoft has to take away working features. In my case parental controls now require that you and the kids you want to control have a microsoft account attached to each login. Furthermore you cannot enable parental controls on the kids account, until THEY agree to it. Biggest bunch of nonsense I've seen in a while. Parents who want to control when kids can use the computer, but don't want network access for the computers are now out of luck.

They are also forcing some types of restrictions on the kids youtube watching, even though I have web restrictions disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    I upgraded my Windows 8.1 laptop to 10, so far seems to run Istaria beautifuly. however, I still have the same issues streaming Netflix, and Hulu as I did with 8.1. Firefox`s Silverlight plug in constantly crash (this also happens on my Windows 7 desktop) Chrome, just simply won`t load. thinking Netflix, and Hulu just can`t run on 8.1 nor 10. But at least Istaria works. XD
    You should really back up your data and perform a full reset of the operating system with all these issues you've been having with 8.1 and the upgrade on your laptop. Upgrading just carries your past problems with programs with it. Netflix and Hulu would lose so many customers if people had the issues you are having. I've never had any major issues with Chrome on any OS from XP to Windows 10 either.
    Jstntron (Chaos): Ancient, Grand Master Dragon Crafter
    Woobie (Chaos): Saris, 41 Adventure/216 Crafter
    Vulkanos Firefiend (Order): Hatchling, 20/11

Quote Originally Posted by Jstntron View Post
    You should really back up your data and perform a full reset of the operating system with all these issues you've been having with 8.1 and the upgrade on your laptop. Upgrading just carries your past problems with programs with it. Netflix and Hulu would lose so many customers if people had the issues you are having. I've never had any major issues with Chrome on any OS from XP to Windows 10 either.

hm.. I might have to try that, thanks Jstn!
    Chrome`s been goofy on my Window 7 desktop too not streaming wise, but phishing scam pop up wise. I downloaded every ad, and pop up blocker available on the browser. Seems alright now, but wow... you should see all the ads/pop ups it has to block. just watching a 40 minute show on Hulu, it blocked over 200+ ads, and 50+ pop ups. :O

I uninstalled/reinstalled both Chrome, and Firefox on my Win 10 laptop, Netflix, and Hulu are running a tad better, but if I pause a show, I have to reload the page to get it to load again. so thinking it`s a windows thing like you said. just hope I can get 10 back on it once I do a factory reset. (it will go back to 8 if I do so right?)

Excessive pop-ups could mean malware infection.

Hatchling Dragon of Chaos, following the path of Lunus___ ___DRAG 38 / DCRA 55
    Ofnir, Sslik of Chaos. WAR 14 CLRC 10 MAGE 10 SPRT 14 / OUT 10 ARM 10

Figured out, it's my ISP. If more then 3 wifi device are active at once, streaming becomes extremely slow. Once I shut off my ipad, and turned wifi off on my phone, it loaded fine. That's AT&T for yah. : P

I liked windows 10 till I got the monthly update and now its horrible, my nortons couldn't finish backup and dumped stuff all over my desktop. with the update it (nortons) doesn't know where to send the backups. and now I cannot play in windows the text in graphics are too tiny for my 77 year old eyes and the mouse pointer is bigger then the hotkeys. so its fullscreen or guess you type without error and pray you don't get your toon killed by accidently hitting the wrong key.

Lillyjo, Chaos server.

Thread Information