Thread: New install

Default New install

I decided to install the game again, but when I went to start the game, it complained about an invalid parameter and exited. So I went to check the launcher prefs and noticed that the install didn't create any of the default preference files in istaria\prefs.
    I just lost the game.

Default Re: New install

I deleted every .def file in my prefs folder (which would simulate a new install). It simply created them the next time I logged on, no exit errors. Sounds to me like it might not have permission to create them. If you're not getting a popup message when starting the launcher (Allow Admin access Yes/No) then you might want to try to right click the "Play Istaria" icon, Properties, Compatibility tab, check "Run this program as Administrator" box. See if that helps.

Note the very first time it creates the .def files, you might see "Entering Istaria Locally". If you see that, go ahead and exit and Restart. You should now see "Connecting to Server, Validating Account, etc")
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

I'm running Linux.

*Edit: I told the java launcher to reset the global preferences, and now it works.
    Last edited by jerk-o; August 24th, 2015 at 10:43 PM.
    I just lost the game.

If you're using Linux, things usually work better if you create a startup script instead of running jlauncher.exe Please see the KB:
    https://support.istaria.com/index.ph...ode=view&id=27

and read the section about creating a script that looks like:
    cd "/home/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/istaria"
    java -jar launcher2.jar

I remember using launcher2.jar back when I played before and I've been using that now.
    I just lost the game.

Can you please describe your linux (& Wine) setup, because nothing I've tried has worked so far.
    Both of the walkthroughs posted on these forums are 5-6 years old, which I'm sure has something
    to do with it...

So, how have you gotten it to run?
    Got Cowbell?

Please describe any error messages or what you're seeing for issues. The fastest way to get your issue resolved would be through a support ticket, and we'd also make sure to update the KB article with any steps that were taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Yfelvik View Post
    Please describe any error messages or what you're seeing for issues. The fastest way to get your issue resolved would be through a support ticket, and we'd also make sure to update the KB article with any steps that were taken.
    No error messages at all really. I am able to get the launcher up and running; I am able to log into my account;
    I see my character, hear the background music playing, etc.; then when I click "Play" the launcher simply quits.
    Got Cowbell?

Open a command prompt in the Istaria install folder and type:
    wine istaria.exe

You should get some sort of output / error that will give a better idea of what's happening.

The client crashes for me (in Wine) upon startup with the error "Invalid parameter: 4 @ source\Properties.cpp" I'm using Wine v1.93

Did you open up winetricks and install vcrun2005, d3dx9_36, corefonts, and dotnet 2.0?
    I just lost the game.

I don't think Istaria uses .NET. I went ahead and put it in, and the result was exactly the same, crash on startup of the game client with the "Invalid parameter" error. It might be that v1.9x of Wine introduced a regression, so I'll downgrade to v1.8.1 and see if that fixes it.

I can confirm that Wine 1.6.2 works fine following the instructions in the KB:
    https://support.istaria.com/index.ph...ode=view&id=27

Okay, so there is a regression that was introduced sometime between v1.6.2 and 1.8.1. I tested with v1.8.1 and the game client failed with the "Invalid parameter" error. Unfortunately, that means I'm stuck dual-booting Windows until the misbehavior between Wine and Istaria is fixed.

Thread Information